Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Always chewing the harddrive

Always chewing the harddrive

The Clue Train

I've got a Dell Inspiron 1100 2.2GHz laptop w/256MB running XP Home SP1 and when I change newsgroups using OE6 and look at the first message whenever I switch NGs, it sits and chews the harddrive for 60-90 seconds. It also does this whenever switching between OE and Mozilla Firefox. Now I've looked at the task manager, it has no reason to be swapping and I'm getting quite sick of it. Before I start badmouthing Dell to everyone I meet, would loading W2K on this machine correct this annoyance? I've got 3 desktops all running 2000, two of them have only 256MB and they don't chew the harddrive like this, which is the logic behind my wonding if W2K would fix this.

I've tried is fixing the size of the swap file to 384MB (min/max) where before it was 381-768 variable. No difference in performance has been noted.

Phantom

Defrayment the hard drive.
"The Clue Train" <nul@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
[...]

Defragment hard drive. Damn, I hate spell checkers...
[...]

Pennywise

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 01:21:09 GMT, "The Clue Train" <nul@127.0.0.1>
wrote:

|>I've got a Dell Inspiron 1100 2.2GHz laptop w/256MB running XP Home SP1 and when I change newsgroups using OE6 and look at the first message whenever I switch NGs, it sits and chews the harddrive for 60-90 seconds.

Defrag your drive!

The Clue Train

"Pennywise" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 01:21:09 GMT, "The Clue Train" <nul@127.0.0.1>
> wrote:
>
> |>I've got a Dell Inspiron 1100 2.2GHz laptop w/256MB running XP Home SP1 and when I change newsgroups using OE6 and look at the first message whenever I switch NGs, it sits and chews the harddrive for 60-90 seconds.
>
> Defrag your drive!

Tried that too. My PMI schedule is as follows:

Defrag Pagefile - Every boot
Defrag drive - weekly
CHKDSK/R - weekly
Clean registery - weekly

I've also tweaked the registry to prevent paging the kernel and boosted the system cache.

--

The AFA-B Sovereign Sockpuppet©

Government/Media Sponsored/Supported Disinformation/Mind Control Agent
Chief of Weather Control, Super Secret 34°, Order of the Illuminati
Presidential Puppeteer of the New World Order
Skepticult® ID: 581-00504-208
Sockmaster General

"I can't fight no one" - Joseph "Foameo" Bartlo
Confession ID: <news:(E-Mail Removed)>

"I was voted 'Kook of the year'" - Raymond "Fathead" Karczewski
Confession ID: <news:(E-Mail Removed)>

"I goofed..." - Ed "Dumb as Rocks" Conrad
Confession ID: <news:(E-Mail Removed) >

"Of Course I am a kook!" - Pietro "Pieboi" Sommavilla
Confession ID: <news:(E-Mail Removed). com>

"I have been drinking like this for 40 years" - Stephen "Varnish" Vanier
Confession ID: <news:7JWKc.99$(E-Mail Removed)>

* Disrupting the flow of information on the Internet since before Y2k0oK. *

Unk

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 01:21:09 GMT, "The Clue Train" <nul@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>I've got a Dell Inspiron 1100 2.2GHz laptop w/256MB running XP Home SP1 and when I change newsgroups using OE6 and look at the first message whenever I switch NGs, it sits and chews the harddrive for 60-90 seconds. It also does this whenever switching between OE and Mozilla Firefox. Now I've looked at the task manager, it has no reason to be swapping and I'm getting quite sick of it. Before I start badmouthing Dell to everyone I meet, would loading W2K on this machine correct this annoyance? I've got 3 desktops all running 2000, two of them have only 256MB and they don't chew the harddrive like this, which is the logic behind my wonding if W2K would fix this.
>
>I've tried is fixing the size of the swap file to 384MB (min/max) where before it was 381-768 variable. No difference in performance has been noted.

Could you please alter the length of your line wrap for posting to
newsgroups (72 - 78 is best). Tools, Options, Send, News sending format,
Plain text settings, "Automatically wrap text at [76] characters".

As to your problem:
Right-click "My Computer", "Properties", "Advanced" tab. Under
Performance section, click the "Settings" button, "Advanced" tab,
under the Virtual memory section, click the "Change" button, and
check the option, "System managed size". Click the "Set" button,
click "OK", "Apply", and "OK" your way out. Reboot

The Clue Train

"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 01:21:09 GMT, "The Clue Train" <nul@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
> >I've got a Dell Inspiron 1100 2.2GHz laptop w/256MB running XP Home SP1

and when I change newsgroups using OE6 and look at the first message
whenever I switch NGs, it sits and chews the harddrive for 60-90 seconds.
It also does this whenever switching between OE and Mozilla Firefox. Now
I've looked at the task manager, it has no reason to be swapping and I'm
getting quite sick of it. Before I start badmouthing Dell to everyone I
meet, would loading W2K on this machine correct this annoyance? I've got 3
desktops all running 2000, two of them have only 256MB and they don't chew
the harddrive like this, which is the logic behind my wonding if W2K would
fix this.

> >I've tried is fixing the size of the swap file to 384MB (min/max) where

before it was 381-768 variable. No difference in performance has been
noted.

> Could you please alter the length of your line wrap for posting to
> newsgroups (72 - 78 is best). Tools, Options, Send, News sending format,
> Plain text settings, "Automatically wrap text at [76] characters".

Done.

> As to your problem:
> Right-click "My Computer", "Properties", "Advanced" tab. Under
> Performance section, click the "Settings" button, "Advanced" tab,
> under the Virtual memory section, click the "Change" button, and
> check the option, "System managed size". Click the "Set" button,
> click "OK", "Apply", and "OK" your way out. Reboot

The 381-768 were the values specified by the system when I allowed the
system to manage the swap file.

PC

[...]

Try:

Clean up in all your OE folders, then empty the deleted files folder.
Compact all folders (File, Folder, Compact all Folders)
Copying your email and news folders to backup delete them, let OE/Mozilla
recreate them and import from backup.
OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance, 'Store Folder' button
will tell you were they are.
Mozilla, Edit, Preferences, Advanced, Cache will tell you
where...

The theory is that the files get corrupted internally which is what causes
the 'thrashing' The three suggestions above may fix that.

YMMV

Cheers
Paul

Gary G. Taylor

The Clue Train wrote:

> I've got a Dell Inspiron 1100 2.2GHz laptop w/256MB running XP Home SP1
> and when I change newsgroups using OE6 and look at the first message
> whenever I switch NGs, it sits and chews the harddrive for 60-90 seconds.
> It also does this whenever switching between OE and Mozilla Firefox. Now
> I've looked at the task manager, it has no reason to be swapping and I'm
> getting quite sick of it. Before I start badmouthing Dell to everyone I
> meet, would loading W2K on this machine correct this annoyance? I've got
> 3 desktops all running 2000, two of them have only 256MB and they don't
> chew the harddrive like this, which is the logic behind my wonding if W2K
> would fix this.
>
> I've tried is fixing the size of the swap file to 384MB (min/max) where
> before it was 381-768 variable. No difference in performance has been
> noted.

Two words: MORE RAM. 256MB is a bare minimum for an XP install. Double the
amount of RAM in the box and you'll be astounded at the improvement.
--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA