Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Win2k Slow Shutdown

Win2k Slow Shutdown

dakine

my win2k machine has suddenly started taking a long time 2-3 minutes
to shutdown. it used to do it in 6 seconds, so you can understand my
concern. can anybody make some suggestions/recommend what to
consider/look at. its a p4 2000 w/512memory win2k sp4, no spyware or
viruses are resident. TIA for your suggestions

EM Handler

get help here http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
"dakine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> my win2k machine has suddenly started taking a long time 2-3 minutes
> to shutdown. it used to do it in 6 seconds, so you can understand my
> concern. can anybody make some suggestions/recommend what to
> consider/look at. its a p4 2000 w/512memory win2k sp4, no spyware or
> viruses are resident. TIA for your suggestions

Jim Byrd

Hi Dakine - You might want to check and see if you've installed Hotfix
Q329170. If so, and unless you're sure you need it, it apparently causes
major slowdowns on shutdown and should be removed. See here to decide about
whether you need this hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=329170.
There was a lot of discussion about this in microsoft.public.win2000.general
nws gp at one point. If you decide to remove it, go to your Control
Panel|Add/Remove Programs and see if Q329170 is listed as installed and, if
so, remove it.

This "hotfix" is also installed as part of SP4, and thus can't be removed
separately if you've installed that.

If you decide that you do need to keep it, or you have SP4 installed, an
alternative that's been proposed that will allow you to be able to exit
normally even with the hotfix is to run "net stop spooler" (without the
quotes) from a cmd window before shutdown. You might want to consider
adding that to a logout script that stops the spooler at shutdown, and kept
the hotfix in that case. (I've verified that this works, BTW.)

MS has a fix available if you phone them. See:

(This has also supposedly been fixed in one of the later rollup hotfixes.)

plus (Courtesy of Steve Parry)

start > run > gpedit.msc > Computer Configuration> Administrative Template
System > Logon > Maximum retries to unload and update user profile ... set
enabled and to say 5 ... default if not configured is 60!!

and then (added by me) set waittokillservicetimeout at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l

to 5000 ms instead of the default 20000.

(I can verify that these last two make a HUGH difference in shutdown times.)

Then, courtesy of Torgeir Bakken, MVP, you might want to try this:

User Profile Hive Cleanup Service
A service to help with slow log off and unreconciled profile problems.

Two last areas to check. Unless you actually use them, it has been reported
that unchecking Enable Offline Files in Folder Options|Offline Files tab
substantially decreases the shutdown time (presumtively by eliminating the
"Synchronize all offline files" step). And check and be sure that you don't
unintentionally have Clear the Windows Paging File turned on. See here:

If none of this helps (enough), then take a look here:

Windows XP Shutdown & Restart Troubleshooting:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

--
Please respond in the same thread.
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP