Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Would like to create an image of a hard drive over a network and then copy to a CD

Would like to create an image of a hard drive over a network and then copy to a CD

red belair

I guess the subject says it all.

I have drive image but it only allows 'cloning/copying' of local
physical drives. I need to clone drives in systems that are on my
network.

Does anyone know of a product? I just hate to have to buy something
else as I thought Drive Image would do it...Wrong! It does do well on
local drives, but most of my needs are remote.

I need to archive an image of systems before returning them to the
customer so if and when they return, it will be easier the 2nd time.

Thanks for the time.
Joe

A String

"red belair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I guess the subject says it all.
>
> I have drive image but it only allows 'cloning/copying' of local
> physical drives. I need to clone drives in systems that are on my
> network.
>
> Does anyone know of a product? I just hate to have to buy something
> else as I thought Drive Image would do it...Wrong! It does do well on
> local drives, but most of my needs are remote.
>
> I need to archive an image of systems before returning them to the
> customer so if and when they return, it will be easier the 2nd time.
>
> Thanks for the time.
> Joe

I always recommend "Ghost" for this purpose. My favorite.

red belair

I use Ghost for DOS type copies/cloning...I will have to check it out
for Windows and networks.
Thanks
Joe

ps, i like and have used ghost many times.

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:09:32 -0400, "A String" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"red belair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I guess the subject says it all.
>>
>> I have drive image but it only allows 'cloning/copying' of local
>> physical drives. I need to clone drives in systems that are on my
>> network.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a product? I just hate to have to buy something
>> else as I thought Drive Image would do it...Wrong! It does do well on
>> local drives, but most of my needs are remote.
>>
>> I need to archive an image of systems before returning them to the
>> customer so if and when they return, it will be easier the 2nd time.
>>
>> Thanks for the time.
>> Joe

>> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>> -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

> I always recommend "Ghost" for this purpose. My favorite.

use older versions of ghost (like 7.0 or 8.0). i find better for network
cloning.

cheers,

"red belair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I use Ghost for DOS type copies/cloning...I will have to check it out
> for Windows and networks.
> Thanks
> Joe
>
> ps, i like and have used ghost many times.
>
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:09:32 -0400, "A String" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >"red belair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >>I guess the subject says it all.
> >>
> >> I have drive image but it only allows 'cloning/copying' of local
> >> physical drives. I need to clone drives in systems that are on my
> >> network.
> >>
> >> Does anyone know of a product? I just hate to have to buy something
> >> else as I thought Drive Image would do it...Wrong! It does do well on
> >> local drives, but most of my needs are remote.
> >>
> >> I need to archive an image of systems before returning them to the
> >> customer so if and when they return, it will be easier the 2nd time.
> >>
> >> Thanks for the time.
> >> Joe

> >> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> >> -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

> > I always recommend "Ghost" for this purpose. My favorite.

Walter Mautner

red belair wrote:

> I guess the subject says it all.
>
> I have drive image but it only allows 'cloning/copying' of local
> physical drives. I need to clone drives in systems that are on my
> network.
>
> Does anyone know of a product? I just hate to have to buy something
> else as I thought Drive Image would do it...Wrong! It does do well on
> local drives, but most of my needs are remote.
>
> I need to archive an image of systems before returning them to the
> customer so if and when they return, it will be easier the 2nd time.

Download a copy of Barts universal network boot floppy (available at
bootdisk.com), and keep ghost (symantec) on a network share, for pcs who
boot from floppy. It allows to image to network drives, and split images to
fit on a set of CDs.
Use a live linux distribution (knoppix ...) to image drives when you can
boot from CDs, as a no-cost solution.
*to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**Reactivate*your*MS*software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.8pkt*[LinuxCounter#295241]

A String

I have an old version that predates Norton. It is an old DOS version 5.0
See if you can find it on the net. Works like a charm and like D stated, it
works better then the windows version. Also, it is really small. Fit's
perfectly onto a floppy.

"D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsgeXc.218588$gE.138403@pd7tw3no...
> use older versions of ghost (like 7.0 or 8.0). i find better for network
> cloning.
>
> cheers,
>
> "red belair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I use Ghost for DOS type copies/cloning...I will have to check it out
>> for Windows and networks.
>> Thanks
>> Joe
>>
>> ps, i like and have used ghost many times.
>>
>> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:09:32 -0400, "A String" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>> >"red belair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

>> > I always recommend "Ghost" for this purpose. My favorite.

>> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>> -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

clonemyselfclonemyself clonemyselfclonemyself is offline
Junior Member

The server application you are looking for is ghostcast and the boot disk creator (version 11 has it)

you run ghostcast on server and use created boot cd or floppies to call to server. Then you go to server and send the image... receiving images are automatic once called.