Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > VLAN support

VLAN support

DevilsPGD

I have a switch which supports VLANs, both port-based and 802.1Q frame
tagging.

I have not yet experimented with 802.1Q, so far I've only been using
port-based VLANs.

I have a situation where I'd like one PC to participate in two VLANs,
but I'd rather not run more then one ethernet cable (mainly for cosmetic
purposes)

How does the NIC look from WindowsXP's point of view? Is it possible
for a single NIC to participate in more then one VLAN at a time? If so,
does each VLAN appear as a separate interface? -- My VLANs have
completely separate IP ranges, so I'm hoping that this is the case.

Worst case, I guess I could get multiple NICs (one for each VLAN) and
put a switch behind my PC.

I'd be happy to RTFM if someone can point me in the right direction, but
I can't find any good guide as to how whether this is possible or not.

--
HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig

Duane Arnold

DevilsPGD wrote:

> I have a switch which supports VLANs, both port-based and 802.1Q frame
> tagging.
>
> I have not yet experimented with 802.1Q, so far I've only been using
> port-based VLANs.
>
> I have a situation where I'd like one PC to participate in two VLANs,
> but I'd rather not run more then one ethernet cable (mainly for cosmetic
> purposes)
>
> How does the NIC look from WindowsXP's point of view? Is it possible
> for a single NIC to participate in more then one VLAN at a time? If so,
> does each VLAN appear as a separate interface? -- My VLANs have
> completely separate IP ranges, so I'm hoping that this is the case.
>
> Worst case, I guess I could get multiple NICs (one for each VLAN) and
> put a switch behind my PC.
>
> I'd be happy to RTFM if someone can point me in the right direction, but
> I can't find any good guide as to how whether this is possible or not.

--

You may want to ask your questions at comp.security.firewalls.

Duane

I am an *unregistered* Linux user. Unreg# 99999999999999999

127.0.0.1

"DevilsPGD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aquWc.22210754$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I have a switch which supports VLANs, both port-based and 802.1Q frame
> tagging.
>
> I have not yet experimented with 802.1Q, so far I've only been using
> port-based VLANs.
>
> I have a situation where I'd like one PC to participate in two VLANs,
> but I'd rather not run more then one ethernet cable (mainly for cosmetic
> purposes)
>
> How does the NIC look from WindowsXP's point of view? Is it possible
> for a single NIC to participate in more then one VLAN at a time? If so,
> does each VLAN appear as a separate interface? -- My VLANs have
> completely separate IP ranges, so I'm hoping that this is the case.
>
> Worst case, I guess I could get multiple NICs (one for each VLAN) and
> put a switch behind my PC.
>
> I'd be happy to RTFM if someone can point me in the right direction, but
> I can't find any good guide as to how whether this is possible or not.

since win2k supports multiple IP for a single NIC, i would assume XP does
also...
don't make me boot to my XP partition.

-a|ex

DevilsPGD

In message <wexWc.9777$(E-Mail Removed). net>
"127.0.0.1" <loopy@localhost> wrote:

>> I have a switch which supports VLANs, both port-based and 802.1Q frame
>> tagging.
>>
>> I have not yet experimented with 802.1Q, so far I've only been using
>> port-based VLANs.
>>
>> I have a situation where I'd like one PC to participate in two VLANs,
>> but I'd rather not run more then one ethernet cable (mainly for cosmetic
>> purposes)
>>
>> How does the NIC look from WindowsXP's point of view? Is it possible
>> for a single NIC to participate in more then one VLAN at a time? If so,
>> does each VLAN appear as a separate interface? -- My VLANs have
>> completely separate IP ranges, so I'm hoping that this is the case.
>>
>> Worst case, I guess I could get multiple NICs (one for each VLAN) and
>> put a switch behind my PC.
>>
>> I'd be happy to RTFM if someone can point me in the right direction, but
>> I can't find any good guide as to how whether this is possible or not.

>since win2k supports multiple IP for a single NIC, i would assume XP does
>also...
>don't make me boot to my XP partition.

It's not just a matter of supporting multiple IPs, the drivers or the OS
would need to apply the appropriate VLAN tags, and use the appropriate
gateway.

Thanks though.

--
HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig

VLan OR NO VLan rahul_hotin Cisco 1 04-27-2005 04:38 AM
native vlan mismatch on 2 2924 switches w/ only 1 vlan defined (same on both switches) avraham shir-el Cisco 4 07-20-2004 08:08 AM
HI, I have some question about native vlan and default vlan. PS2 gamer Cisco 1 05-28-2004 11:47 AM
Auxiliary VLAN V VLan Neil Rowland Cisco 1 04-14-2004 02:03 PM
VLAN or Not to VLAN Paul Cisco 0 10-27-2003 06:16 PM

Advertisments