Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Router Help Required

Router Help Required

fitzy_bhoy

I currently have an ADSL modem/router. I am moving house and I am going to
get NTL installed. I realise the modems are different but if I attach the
NTL modem to my router, will the router part still work?? If not can anyone
tell me a good router for use with Cable BB as all I seem to find are ADSL
ones.

Thanks
John

chris

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:57:57 +0100 and in article <412a685b$0$20248
$(E-Mail Removed)>, fitzy_bhoy said...
: I currently have an ADSL modem/router. I am moving house and I am going to
: get NTL installed. I realise the modems are different but if I attach the
: NTL modem to my router, will the router part still work??
:
No.

I have used a Linksys BESFR 41 v2 for around 12 months on NTL with 100%
uptime. Others have reported different stories tho..

--
chris

fitzy_bhoy

"chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:57:57 +0100 and in article <412a685b$0$20248
> $(E-Mail Removed)>, fitzy_bhoy said...
> : I currently have an ADSL modem/router. I am moving house and I am going
> : get NTL installed. I realise the modems are different but if I attach
> the
> : NTL modem to my router, will the router part still work??
> :
> No.
>
> I have used a Linksys BESFR 41 v2 for around 12 months on NTL with 100%
> uptime. Others have reported different stories tho..
>
> --
> chris

Does this unit have an inbuilt firewall/gateway?

Duane Arnold

"fitzy_bhoy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:412a685b$0$20248$(E-Mail Removed):

> I currently have an ADSL modem/router. I am moving house and I am
> going to get NTL installed. I realise the modems are different but if
> I attach the NTL modem to my router, will the router part still work??
> If not can anyone tell me a good router for use with Cable BB as all I
> seem to find are ADSL ones.

If the router is not a BB ready router, then it's not going to work. The
ISP should provide you with a BB modem or you can purchase one that is on
the ISP's approved modem list. If you purchase a modem, then the modem's
MAC must be provisioned with the ISP

You may want to find a BB router like a Linksys that does WAN MAC cloning
as you may need that to clone the first's PC NIC MAC that's connected to
the ISP's network and clone that MAC into the router so that the ISP thinks
it's the computer instead of the router. Or you can have the MAC of the
router provisioned with the ISP as well, so that the router can connect to
the ISP's network, without any MAC cloning being done.

I don't know about this NTL, but most ISP's will not support a router and
you'll have to support it yourself.

Duane

chris

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:38:08 +0100 and in article <412a71c6$0$20244
$(E-Mail Removed)>, fitzy_bhoy said...
: "chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: > On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:57:57 +0100 and in article <412a685b$0$20248
: > $(E-Mail Removed)>, fitzy_bhoy said...
: > : I currently have an ADSL modem/router. I am moving house and I am going
: > : get NTL installed. I realise the modems are different but if I attach
: > the
: > : NTL modem to my router, will the router part still work??
: > :
: > No.
: >
: > I have used a Linksys BESFR 41 v2 for around 12 months on NTL with 100%
: > uptime. Others have reported different stories tho..
: >
: > --
: > chris
:
: Does this unit have an inbuilt firewall/gateway?
:
No. Firewall is in the form of NAT, which isn't a true firewall. If
you want a proper firewall feature can I suggest the model up

--
chris

chris

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:08:18 GMT and in article
<Xns954EB87C61050notmenotmecom@204.127.204.17>, Duane Arnold said...
: You may want to find a BB router like a Linksys that does WAN MAC cloning
: as you may need that to clone the first's PC NIC MAC that's connected to
: the ISP's network and clone that MAC into the router so that the ISP thinks
: it's the computer instead of the router.
:
You don't need to do this on NTL.

--
chris

fitzy_bhoy

"chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:38:08 +0100 and in article <412a71c6$0$20244
> $(E-Mail Removed)>, fitzy_bhoy said...
> : "chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> : news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> : > On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:57:57 +0100 and in article <412a685b$0$20248
> : > $(E-Mail Removed)>, fitzy_bhoy said...
> : > : I currently have an ADSL modem/router. I am moving house and I am
> going
> : > : get NTL installed. I realise the modems are different but if I
> attach
> : > the
> : > : NTL modem to my router, will the router part still work??
> : > :
> : > No.
> : >
> : > I have used a Linksys BESFR 41 v2 for around 12 months on NTL with
> 100%
> : > uptime. Others have reported different stories tho..
> : >
> : > --
> : > chris
> :
> : Does this unit have an inbuilt firewall/gateway?
> :
> No. Firewall is in the form of NAT, which isn't a true firewall. If
> you want a proper firewall feature can I suggest the model up
>
> --
> chris

Excuse my ignorance. But my router at the moment in running in PPPoa+NAT
mode. If nat is not a firewall then why do firewall test sites tell me that
I am completely protected. I realise that a 60 router isn't going to
protect me, but is NAT and maybe Zone alarm behind it enough for the home
user

pcbutts1

Yes it does have a firewall. It is a router. The firewall is built in.

"chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:38:08 +0100 and in article <412a71c6$0$20244
> $(E-Mail Removed)>, fitzy_bhoy said...
> : "chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> : news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> : > On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:57:57 +0100 and in article <412a685b$0$20248
> : > $(E-Mail Removed)>, fitzy_bhoy said...
> : > : I currently have an ADSL modem/router. I am moving house and I am
> going
> : > : get NTL installed. I realise the modems are different but if I
> attach
> : > the
> : > : NTL modem to my router, will the router part still work??
> : > :
> : > No.
> : >
> : > I have used a Linksys BESFR 41 v2 for around 12 months on NTL with
> 100%
> : > uptime. Others have reported different stories tho..
> : >
> : > --
> : > chris
> :
> : Does this unit have an inbuilt firewall/gateway?
> :
> No. Firewall is in the form of NAT, which isn't a true firewall. If
> you want a proper firewall feature can I suggest the model up
>
> --
> chris

chris

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 00:30:37 +0100 and in article <412a7e13$0$20249
$(E-Mail Removed)>, fitzy_bhoy said...
: If nat is not a firewall then why do firewall test sites tell me that
: I am completely protected

Dude, I don't care what those websites tell you. NAT is *not* a
firewall.

--
chris

chris

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:31:12 GMT and in article <47vWc.31716$9Y6.30461
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>, pcbutts1 said...
****ing top posting idiot. **** off and die, clueless ****.

--
chris