Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Microsoft Excel

Microsoft Excel

Sue

Somehow, Microsoft Excel is now in the Microsoft Office file: c\program
files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel. Since I don't have Microsoft Office
installed, and do not have the disk, I am unable to access any Excel files.
This was not the case before, and I believe that it must have something to
do with having set up Microsoft Outlook over the weekend. I AM able to
access Microsoft Word files. When trying to open an Excel file I get the
following message, "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM that is
not available. Insert disk." I am running Windows 98.

Thanks for your help.

DC

Sue wrote:
> Somehow, Microsoft Excel is now in the Microsoft Office file: c\program
> files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel. Since I don't have Microsoft Office
> installed, and do not have the disk, I am unable to access any Excel files.
> This was not the case before, and I believe that it must have something to
> do with having set up Microsoft Outlook over the weekend. I AM able to
> access Microsoft Word files. When trying to open an Excel file I get the
> following message, "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM that is
> not available. Insert disk." I am running Windows 98.

You post makes no sense whatsoever.

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Stevo

Sue wrote:
> Somehow, Microsoft Excel is now in the Microsoft Office file:
> c\program files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel. Since I don't have
> Microsoft Office installed, and do not have the disk, I am unable to
> access any Excel files. This was not the case before, and I believe
> that it must have something to do with having set up Microsoft
> Outlook over the weekend. I AM able to access Microsoft Word files.
> When trying to open an Excel file I get the following message, "The
> feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM that is not available.
> Insert disk." I am running Windows 98.
>
> Thanks for your help.

Did you install Outlook or just set it up (it was already on your PC)?

If you installed it, how did you do that - from a Microsoft Office CD
(Outlook is included as part of the Microsoft Office Suite)? If so (and my
guess is that it is Office 2000 or Office XP that you used), I suspect that
you may have let it be installed with all the default settings, but just
selected Outlook to install. In this case you need to re-run that
installation but be more attentive to the installation path options and the
applications you want installed.

--
Stevo
(pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

Jamco

LOL

"DC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Sue wrote:
>> Somehow, Microsoft Excel is now in the Microsoft Office file: c\program
>> files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel. Since I don't have Microsoft Office
>> installed, and do not have the disk, I am unable to access any Excel
>> files.
>> This was not the case before, and I believe that it must have something
>> do with having set up Microsoft Outlook over the weekend. I AM able to
>> access Microsoft Word files. When trying to open an Excel file I get the
>> following message, "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM that
>> is
>> not available. Insert disk." I am running Windows 98.

> You post makes no sense whatsoever.
>
> --
> DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001
>
> Why I love Open Source: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=111601

Sue

Thanks Stevo,

I did not install Outlook. I just set it up for DSL. It was already on my
PC. It is Office 2000 SR-1 Small Business that seems to be missing.

pcbutts1

Yes it does.

"DC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Sue wrote:
>> Somehow, Microsoft Excel is now in the Microsoft Office file: c\program
>> files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel. Since I don't have Microsoft Office
>> installed, and do not have the disk, I am unable to access any Excel
>> files.
>> This was not the case before, and I believe that it must have something
>> do with having set up Microsoft Outlook over the weekend. I AM able to
>> access Microsoft Word files. When trying to open an Excel file I get the
>> following message, "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM that
>> is
>> not available. Insert disk." I am running Windows 98.

> You post makes no sense whatsoever.
>
> --
> DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001
>
> Why I love Open Source: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=111601

SgtMinor

Sue wrote:
> Somehow, Microsoft Excel is now in the Microsoft Office file: c\program
> files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel. Since I don't have Microsoft Office
> installed, and do not have the disk, I am unable to access any Excel files.
> This was not the case before, and I believe that it must have something to
> do with having set up Microsoft Outlook over the weekend. I AM able to
> access Microsoft Word files. When trying to open an Excel file I get the
> following message, "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM that is
> not available. Insert disk." I am running Windows 98.
>
> Thanks for your help.

"OFF2000: Error Message: The Feature You Are Trying to Use Is on a
CD-ROM or Other Removable Disk..."

be sure to check out all links.

Stevo

Sue wrote:
> Thanks Stevo,
>
> I did not install Outlook. I just set it up for DSL. It was already
> on my PC. It is Office 2000 SR-1 Small Business that seems to be
> missing.

SgtMinor posted a link which will explain it from the MS viewpoint.

If you have Excel installed somewhere other than the default path on your
hard disk, then you might be able to redirect the links and have it work..
do a search for excel.exe to find it and try to run it from there...

Otherwise you will need to have the necessary CD and reinstall it all..

--
Stevo
(pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

127.0.0.1

"Sue" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9btWc.239968$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Somehow, Microsoft Excel is now in the Microsoft Office file: c\program
> files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel. Since I don't have Microsoft Office
> installed, and do not have the disk, I am unable to access any Excel

files.
> This was not the case before, and I believe that it must have something to
> do with having set up Microsoft Outlook over the weekend. I AM able to
> access Microsoft Word files. When trying to open an Excel file I get the
> following message, "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM that

is
> not available. Insert disk." I am running Windows 98.

then re-install excel...

when you installed outlook, you may have forgotten to select excel and all
it's files (select run all from computer).
to remove parts of office, you run the installation CD and uncheck the parts
you want removed.

very common newbie mistake.

-a|ex

Plato

Sue wrote:

> Somehow, Microsoft Excel is now in the Microsoft Office file: c\program
> files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel. Since I don't have Microsoft Office
> installed, and do not have the disk, I am unable to access any Excel files.

Install MS Excel so you can work with Excel files. Buy the CD.