Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Win95 system does not recognize PS2 mouse

Win95 system does not recognize PS2 mouse

Richard Owlett

Parents of a friend were given a Win95 system to replace an existing
Win3.1 set up.

It appears to function properly except for not not
"recognizing"/"responding to" a PS2 style Logitech 3-button mouse.

The mouse appears to be completely functional on the Win 3.1 system.

The Win95 asserts that no mouse is connected.
Using keyboard equivalents I can bring up Control Panel and chose
Mouse. That brings up a Logitech specific initialization routine. But
to no apparent effect.

As the mouse is active when attached to another system, can I safely
assume the mouse is not the problem?

It had already been suggested that they obtain a "serial mouse".
I've not used Win95 for some time.
Will it automatically recognize a serial mouse?
Does it have all require routines ( eg equiv of mouse.com )?

Thank you.

Billh

I was thinking the same thing get a serial mouse or a ps2 > serial adaptor
for the mouse you have. The adaptor may or may not work as the mouse has to
be made to work with one. Anyway Win95 should be able to see the serial
mouse.

"Richard Owlett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Parents of a friend were given a Win95 system to replace an existing
> Win3.1 set up.
>
> It appears to function properly except for not not
> "recognizing"/"responding to" a PS2 style Logitech 3-button mouse.
>
> The mouse appears to be completely functional on the Win 3.1 system.
>
> The Win95 asserts that no mouse is connected.
> Using keyboard equivalents I can bring up Control Panel and chose
> Mouse. That brings up a Logitech specific initialization routine. But
> to no apparent effect.
>
> As the mouse is active when attached to another system, can I safely
> assume the mouse is not the problem?
>
> It had already been suggested that they obtain a "serial mouse".
> I've not used Win95 for some time.
> Will it automatically recognize a serial mouse?
> Does it have all require routines ( eg equiv of mouse.com )?
>
> Thank you.

Ray

Win 95 should see the serial mouse without doing anything further. You
might want to try and see if you can reinstall the mouse driver. It has
been a long time since I've dealt with win95 so I might be a little off.
Make sure you have the win95 CD on hand just in case. Delete the mouse
driver in the device manager. Reboot the machine and see if it will auto
detect it.

"Richard Owlett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Parents of a friend were given a Win95 system to replace an existing
> Win3.1 set up.
>
> It appears to function properly except for not not
> "recognizing"/"responding to" a PS2 style Logitech 3-button mouse.
>
> The mouse appears to be completely functional on the Win 3.1 system.
>
> The Win95 asserts that no mouse is connected.
> Using keyboard equivalents I can bring up Control Panel and chose
> Mouse. That brings up a Logitech specific initialization routine. But
> to no apparent effect.
>
> As the mouse is active when attached to another system, can I safely
> assume the mouse is not the problem?
>
> It had already been suggested that they obtain a "serial mouse".
> I've not used Win95 for some time.
> Will it automatically recognize a serial mouse?
> Does it have all require routines ( eg equiv of mouse.com )?
>
> Thank you.

Richard Owlett

Ray wrote:

> Win 95 should see the serial mouse without doing anything further. You
> might want to try and see if you can reinstall the mouse driver. It has
> been a long time since I've dealt with win95 so I might be a little off.
> Make sure you have the win95 CD on hand just in case. Delete the mouse
> driver in the device manager. Reboot the machine and see if it will auto
> detect it.

Not sure if Win95 CD is available -- it's a "hand-me-down" system.

Are you saying that I should go into Control Panel and disable *ALL*
mouse functions.

On the next reboot Win95 would activate (poor word choice) generic
driver(s).

If I got mouse pointer and left-button they would be happy.