Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't play DVD on my computer...I'm really annoyed now!

Can't play DVD on my computer...I'm really annoyed now!

Paul Burdett

Hi all,
a month ago I bought a new DVD Rom..as my cd rom died. I thought I'd be
able to watch dvd's on my computer..that's one of the reasons I bought it!
Anyhow, I have Cyberlink Power DVD software..it came with the dvd drive.
When I tried to watch a dvd I got an error message: "F4D41436: This copy
protected disc cannot be played when the tv out function is enabled". Now..I
rang the shop where I bought it and was told to download "Anydvd"..which I
did, but it was a 21 day demo...I guess it's also some sort of hack, as I
was able to watch dvd's.
Now that the demo period has ended I cannot watch my (paid for) dvd's. My
internet research tells me it's something to do with "Microvision"...but I
don't fully understand it. Also, my video card is a Riva tnt32 (Nvidia). I
don't want to purchase another card (apparently some newer cards don't
exhibit this problem) as I feel that I should be able to watch my legally
bought dvd's on my computer. I'd appreciate some advice here.
Many thanks,
Paul

Isaac

"Paul Burdett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:4129cf94$0$8833$(E-Mail Removed) :

> Hi all,
> a month ago I bought a new DVD Rom..as my cd rom died. I thought I'd
> be able to watch dvd's on my computer..that's one of the reasons I
> bought it! Anyhow, I have Cyberlink Power DVD software..it came with
> the dvd drive. When I tried to watch a dvd I got an error message:
> "F4D41436: This copy protected disc cannot be played when the tv out
> function is enabled". Now..I rang the shop where I bought it and was
> told to download "Anydvd"..which I did, but it was a 21 day demo...I
> guess it's also some sort of hack, as I was able to watch dvd's.
> Now that the demo period has ended I cannot watch my (paid for) dvd's.
> My internet research tells me it's something to do with
> "Microvision"...but I don't fully understand it. Also, my video card
> is a Riva tnt32 (Nvidia). I don't want to purchase another card
> (apparently some newer cards don't exhibit this problem) as I feel
> that I should be able to watch my legally bought dvd's on my computer.
> I'd appreciate some advice here. Many thanks,
> Paul

You could try VLC.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc

Paul Burdett

"Isaac" <-> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Paul Burdett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:4129cf94$0$8833$(E-Mail Removed) :
>
> > Hi all,
> > a month ago I bought a new DVD Rom..as my cd rom died. I thought I'd
> > be able to watch dvd's on my computer..that's one of the reasons I
> > bought it! Anyhow, I have Cyberlink Power DVD software..it came with
> > the dvd drive. When I tried to watch a dvd I got an error message:
> > "F4D41436: This copy protected disc cannot be played when the tv out
> > function is enabled". Now..I rang the shop where I bought it and was
> > told to download "Anydvd"..which I did, but it was a 21 day demo...I
> > guess it's also some sort of hack, as I was able to watch dvd's.
> > Now that the demo period has ended I cannot watch my (paid for) dvd's.
> > My internet research tells me it's something to do with
> > "Microvision"...but I don't fully understand it. Also, my video card
> > is a Riva tnt32 (Nvidia). I don't want to purchase another card
> > (apparently some newer cards don't exhibit this problem) as I feel
> > that I should be able to watch my legally bought dvd's on my computer.
> > I'd appreciate some advice here. Many thanks,
> > Paul
> >

> You could try VLC.
> http://www.videolan.org/vlc

Hi,
I downloaded it, but get no picture..looks a little complicated for me!
Paul

Paul - xxx

Paul Burdett vaguely muttered something like ...
> Hi all,
> a month ago I bought a new DVD Rom..as my cd rom died. I thought I'd be
> able to watch dvd's on my computer..that's one of the reasons I bought it!
> Anyhow, I have Cyberlink Power DVD software..it came with the dvd drive.
> When I tried to watch a dvd I got an error message: "F4D41436: This copy
> protected disc cannot be played when the tv out function is enabled".
> Now..I rang the shop where I bought it and was told to download
> "Anydvd"..which I did, but it was a 21 day demo...I guess it's also some
> sort of hack, as I was able to watch dvd's.
> Now that the demo period has ended I cannot watch my (paid for) dvd's. My
> internet research tells me it's something to do with "Microvision"...but I
> don't fully understand it. Also, my video card is a Riva tnt32 (Nvidia). I
> don't want to purchase another card (apparently some newer cards don't
> exhibit this problem) as I feel that I should be able to watch my legally
> bought dvd's on my computer. I'd appreciate some advice here.

Have you checked on the respective websites for updated drivers and possible
fixes for this from the manufacturers of both the video card and the DVD
drive ?

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks

Phantom

That vid card is pretty anemic....

Annoyed Peter Smith Computer Support 3 11-25-2004 03:35 AM
Annoyed about DVD changes from original movie: Conan the Barbarian Wheresthebabes DVD Video 2 08-21-2004 12:59 PM
Tired. Annoyed. Really need help with Control serialization issues. Please... Sky Sigal ASP .Net 3 07-16-2004 01:59 PM
Annoyed by BY! Jay MacDonald Computer Support 5 07-12-2004 08:03 PM
really annoyed can any one help!!!!!! skinrod Computer Support 6 09-11-2003 08:39 PM

Advertisments