Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > C:\temp folder?

C:\temp folder?

Thomas Peckham

What is the C:\temp folder used for? It has gotten quite large.

My Windows 98 SE deletes its own "Temporary files" (which, I presume, are
in the
C:\Windows\TEMP folder) whenever I use its Disk Cleanup (CLEANMGR.EXE or
TUNEUP.EXE) feature.
But this Windows maintenance program doesn't seem to touch the C:\temp
folder.

Thanks for any insight.

thomas

Pennywise

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 20:46:19 -0600, "Thomas Peckham"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>What is the C:\temp folder used for? It has gotten quite large.
|>
|>My Windows 98 SE deletes its own "Temporary files" (which, I presume, are
|>in the
|>C:\Windows\TEMP folder) whenever I use its Disk Cleanup (CLEANMGR.EXE or
|>TUNEUP.EXE) feature.
|>But this Windows maintenance program doesn't seem to touch the C:\temp
|>folder.
|>
|>Thanks for any insight.

This is a DOS hold over most likely.

You can change where your Temp dir is in 98 through the autoexec.bat
file mine reads:

DOSKEY
set temp=L:\Temp
set tmp=L:\Temp

Go into a dos window - command window whatever, get a dos prompt and
type: set
This will show you what your temp dir's really are.
mine reads:

TEMP=L:\Temp
TMP=L:\Temp

Pretty much anything in a Temp dir is fair game for deletion.

DC

Pennywise wrote:

[...]

> Pretty much anything in a Temp dir is fair game for deletion.

Following a reboot, to be safe.

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Unk

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What is the C:\temp folder used for? It has gotten quite large.
>
>My Windows 98 SE deletes its own "Temporary files" (which, I presume, are
>in the
>C:\Windows\TEMP folder) whenever I use its Disk Cleanup (CLEANMGR.EXE or
>TUNEUP.EXE) feature.
>But this Windows maintenance program doesn't seem to touch the C:\temp
>folder.
>
>Thanks for any insight.
>
>thomas

Apparently, you have software that uses it for temporary storage. Anything
"Temporary" is safe to delete (after a reboot, to make sure it wasn't part
of some installation process).