Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > - Need help closing programs running in background

- Need help closing programs running in background

mary wei

Hello Everybody,

I'm running Windows ME. My cursor keeps changing to an hour glass from
an I bar when I'm not doing anything. I'm concerned about spyware. I
have Spybot Search & Destroy and Spyware Blaster.

As I type this, if I move the cursor over the desktop, toolbar or the
system tray, it turns to an hour glass. This just started the past
couple of days. I've got Norton Antivirus, but it usually pops up to
tell me that it is running.

I know there is some way to see what is running in the background.
How do I do it?

Thanks so much!

samuel

mary wei <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> Hello Everybody,
>
> I'm running Windows ME. My cursor keeps changing to an hour glass
> from an I bar when I'm not doing anything. I'm concerned about
> spyware. I have Spybot Search & Destroy and Spyware Blaster.
>
> As I type this, if I move the cursor over the desktop, toolbar or
> the system tray, it turns to an hour glass. This just started the
> past couple of days. I've got Norton Antivirus, but it usually
> pops up to tell me that it is running.
>
> I know there is some way to see what is running in the background.
> How do I do it?
>
> Thanks so much!

hit the keys ctrl and alt and delete
that'll tell u whats running

Duane Arnold

mary wei <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> Hello Everybody,
>
> I'm running Windows ME. My cursor keeps changing to an hour glass from
> an I bar when I'm not doing anything. I'm concerned about spyware. I
> have Spybot Search & Destroy and Spyware Blaster.
>
> As I type this, if I move the cursor over the desktop, toolbar or the
> system tray, it turns to an hour glass. This just started the past
> couple of days. I've got Norton Antivirus, but it usually pops up to
> tell me that it is running.
>
> I know there is some way to see what is running in the background.
> How do I do it?
>
> Thanks so much!

If you want to really see what's running, then you should use Process
Explorer (free). Not only will PE show you what processes are running,
you can also look inside the running process to see what is using the
process. Those are the hidden processes that are using a process while
the process is running. Because you see, it may not be the process that
you're looking at this is the culprit, it maybe a hidden process within
the process that is the one doing the deed.

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articl...jan_Horses_and
_Rootkit_Tools_in_a_Windows_Environment.html

Duane

Solar Nowhere

If you check task manager you can see what applications and processes are
running.
Push ctrl, alt and delet at same time to bring it up.

news(E-Mail Removed)...