Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > PC spontaneously shutting down

PC spontaneously shutting down

Carver Lee

It's been running for a couple weeks straight without a reboot then suddenly
last night it restarted itself. It booted back up fine but then restarted
again.. and again.. and again.. I'm running XP Pro but this seems
inconsequential because sometimes it restarts itself before windows even
loads. At one point last night it would post, RAM check, IDE detect,
restart.. wash-rinse-repeat.

Here's what I have done already, looking for other suggestions..

Checked all fans to make sure they were working because my initial though is
that it was an overheating problem. All fans are working fine and the system
shows the core temp to be <100*F.

Removed everything from the case including MB and thoroughly blew out each
component.

Cleaned the contacts and reseated the RAM strip.

Double-checked connection of ATX wire harness and all IDE cables.

Disconnected and removed all unessential components (sound card, Ethernet
card, CD Rom Drives, Slave HD and extra case fans) and tried with 1 HD,
floppy, video card & keyboard.

Ran everything outside the case to ensure the MB wasn't grounding somewhere
against the case.

All these tests yielded exactly the same result and I don't know where to go
from here. At this point it could still be the HD, the MB, the power supply,
the RAM..? I don't want to just start replacing components one by one until
I figure out what it is so if anyone has any other suggestions I would love
to hear them.

Thank you.

10_4

"Carver Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3aoVc.9751$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> It's been running for a couple weeks straight without a reboot then

suddenly
> last night it restarted itself. It booted back up fine but then restarted
> again.. and again.. and again.. I'm running XP Pro but this seems
> inconsequential because sometimes it restarts itself before windows even
> loads. At one point last night it would post, RAM check, IDE detect,
> restart.. wash-rinse-repeat.
>
> Here's what I have done already, looking for other suggestions..
>
> Checked all fans to make sure they were working because my initial though

is
> that it was an overheating problem. All fans are working fine and the

system
> shows the core temp to be <100*F.
>
> Removed everything from the case including MB and thoroughly blew out each
> component.
>
> Cleaned the contacts and reseated the RAM strip.
>
> Double-checked connection of ATX wire harness and all IDE cables.
>
> Disconnected and removed all unessential components (sound card, Ethernet
> card, CD Rom Drives, Slave HD and extra case fans) and tried with 1 HD,
> floppy, video card & keyboard.
>
> Ran everything outside the case to ensure the MB wasn't grounding

somewhere
> against the case.
>
> All these tests yielded exactly the same result and I don't know where to

go
> from here. At this point it could still be the HD, the MB, the power

supply,
> the RAM..? I don't want to just start replacing components one by one

until
> I figure out what it is so if anyone has any other suggestions I would

love
> to hear them.
>
> Thank you.

Sounds like you did your homework. I would check the voltage coming from
the power supply while you have it powered on. If you are not getting 12+
DC volts from the Molex you are having a PS problem. Normally, this causes
lock ups not reboots. Reset your Mobo setting by moving the jumper to set
it back to default or remove the battery for 30 seconds while the unit is
unplugged. Sometimes the BIOS settings can cause this and this is the
easiest way I know to do this. There are more but this works for me.

Good luck!

Roger

Bob Day

"Carver Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3aoVc.9751$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> It's been running for a couple weeks straight without a reboot then suddenly
> last night it restarted itself. It booted back up fine but then restarted
> again.. and again.. and again.. I'm running XP Pro but this seems
> inconsequential because sometimes it restarts itself before windows even
> loads. At one point last night it would post, RAM check, IDE detect,
> restart.. wash-rinse-repeat.
>
> Here's what I have done already, looking for other suggestions..
>
> Checked all fans to make sure they were working because my initial though is
> that it was an overheating problem. All fans are working fine and the system
> shows the core temp to be <100*F.
>
> Removed everything from the case including MB and thoroughly blew out each
> component.
>
> Cleaned the contacts and reseated the RAM strip.
>
> Double-checked connection of ATX wire harness and all IDE cables.
>
> Disconnected and removed all unessential components (sound card, Ethernet
> card, CD Rom Drives, Slave HD and extra case fans) and tried with 1 HD,
> floppy, video card & keyboard.
>
> Ran everything outside the case to ensure the MB wasn't grounding somewhere
> against the case.
>
> All these tests yielded exactly the same result and I don't know where to go
> from here. At this point it could still be the HD, the MB, the power supply,
> the RAM..? I don't want to just start replacing components one by one until
> I figure out what it is so if anyone has any other suggestions I would love
> to hear them.

Failing power supply? Download the free Home Edition of
Everest, available from http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en.
Run it, expand "Computer", and click on "Sensor". Check to see
whether the voltages are within spec, and watch them for a while to
see whether they fluctuate -- the display updates itself automatically
every few seconds. The voltage of your CMOS battery may also
be shown on this display. If so, replace your CMOS battery if its
voltage is significantly below nominal (usually 3 volts). (Also, see
the last step in this post.)

Scan your computer for spyware and viruses. I doubt whether
that's causing the problem, but it might be good to be sure that
it's not.

Try running a memory diagnostic: download "Memtest86+"
from http://www.memtest.org) and run it for a few cycles.
You should get zero errors.

Reseat everything else in your computer - there could be
a degrading connection somewhere.

Remove your CMOS battery, and measure its voltage.
If the measured voltage is significantly less than the
voltage marked on top of the battery (usually 3 volts),
replace it. Note: If you do this step, you'll have to set up
your BIOS again.

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

ICee

Carver Lee wrote:
> It's been running for a couple weeks straight without a reboot then
> suddenly last night it restarted itself. It booted back up fine but
> then restarted again.. and again.. and again.. I'm running XP Pro but
> this seems inconsequential because sometimes it restarts itself
> before windows even loads. At one point last night it would post, RAM
> check, IDE detect, restart.. wash-rinse-repeat.
>
> Here's what I have done already, looking for other suggestions..
>
> Checked all fans to make sure they were working because my initial
> though is that it was an overheating problem. All fans are working
> fine and the system shows the core temp to be <100*F.
>
> Removed everything from the case including MB and thoroughly blew out
> each component.
>
> Cleaned the contacts and reseated the RAM strip.
>
> Double-checked connection of ATX wire harness and all IDE cables.
>
> Disconnected and removed all unessential components (sound card,
> Ethernet card, CD Rom Drives, Slave HD and extra case fans) and tried
> with 1 HD, floppy, video card & keyboard.
>
> Ran everything outside the case to ensure the MB wasn't grounding
> somewhere against the case.
>
> All these tests yielded exactly the same result and I don't know
> where to go from here. At this point it could still be the HD, the
> MB, the power supply, the RAM..? I don't want to just start replacing
> components one by one until I figure out what it is so if anyone has
> any other suggestions I would love to hear them.
>
> Thank you.

If it's an older system (a few years) then it's possible there are bad
electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard. If any of the caps on the
motherboard look like the ones in the photo, then that is your problem.
Otherwise, probably the power supply.
ftp://geerynet.d2g.com/Bad%20Caps%20...133%20caps.jpg

Pennywise

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 14:47:27 GMT, "Carver Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

|>It's been running for a couple weeks straight without a reboot then suddenly
|>last night it restarted itself. It booted back up fine but then restarted
|>again.. and again.. and again.. I'm running XP Pro but this seems
|>inconsequential because sometimes it restarts itself before windows even
|>loads. At one point last night it would post, RAM check, IDE detect,
|>restart.. wash-rinse-repeat.
|>
|>Here's what I have done already, looking for other suggestions..

<An evenings worth of work deleted>

Some bios have a setting "reboot on error" if this is your case make
sure it's a no.

while it won't fix your problem it might allow a software check of
your system if you do boot up.

Shawk

"ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Carver Lee wrote:
> > It's been running for a couple weeks straight without a reboot then
> > suddenly last night it restarted itself. It booted back up fine but
> > then restarted again.. and again.. and again.. I'm running XP Pro but
> > this seems inconsequential because sometimes it restarts itself
> > before windows even loads. At one point last night it would post, RAM
> > check, IDE detect, restart.. wash-rinse-repeat.
> >
> > Here's what I have done already, looking for other suggestions..
> >
> > Checked all fans to make sure they were working because my initial
> > though is that it was an overheating problem. All fans are working
> > fine and the system shows the core temp to be <100*F.
> >
> > Removed everything from the case including MB and thoroughly blew out
> > each component.
> >
> > Cleaned the contacts and reseated the RAM strip.
> >
> > Double-checked connection of ATX wire harness and all IDE cables.
> >
> > Disconnected and removed all unessential components (sound card,
> > Ethernet card, CD Rom Drives, Slave HD and extra case fans) and tried
> > with 1 HD, floppy, video card & keyboard.
> >
> > Ran everything outside the case to ensure the MB wasn't grounding
> > somewhere against the case.
> >
> > All these tests yielded exactly the same result and I don't know
> > where to go from here. At this point it could still be the HD, the
> > MB, the power supply, the RAM..? I don't want to just start replacing
> > components one by one until I figure out what it is so if anyone has
> > any other suggestions I would love to hear them.
> >
> > Thank you.

> If it's an older system (a few years) then it's possible there are bad
> electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard. If any of the caps on the
> motherboard look like the ones in the photo, then that is your problem.
> Otherwise, probably the power supply.
> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com/Bad%20Caps%20...133%20caps.jpg

Another thing you might want to consider is SP2 for XP. Have you
d-loaded/installed this? Perhaps it was done automatically without you
knowing (though I think the Pro version isnt out yet). Some users who have
installed XP SP2 are reporting exactly your symptoms since 'upgrading'.
Then again - might be totally unrelated but its another thing to cross off
your diagnostic list. Shaun

ICee

Shawk wrote:
> "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Carver Lee wrote:
>>> It's been running for a couple weeks straight without a reboot then
>>> suddenly last night it restarted itself. It booted back up fine but
>>> then restarted again.. and again.. and again.. I'm running XP Pro
>>> but this seems inconsequential because sometimes it restarts itself
>>> before windows even loads. At one point last night it would post,
>>> RAM check, IDE detect, restart.. wash-rinse-repeat.
>>>
>>> Here's what I have done already, looking for other suggestions..
>>>
>>> Checked all fans to make sure they were working because my initial
>>> though is that it was an overheating problem. All fans are working
>>> fine and the system shows the core temp to be <100*F.
>>>
>>> Removed everything from the case including MB and thoroughly blew
>>> out each component.
>>>
>>> Cleaned the contacts and reseated the RAM strip.
>>>
>>> Double-checked connection of ATX wire harness and all IDE cables.
>>>
>>> Disconnected and removed all unessential components (sound card,
>>> Ethernet card, CD Rom Drives, Slave HD and extra case fans) and
>>> tried with 1 HD, floppy, video card & keyboard.
>>>
>>> Ran everything outside the case to ensure the MB wasn't grounding
>>> somewhere against the case.
>>>
>>> All these tests yielded exactly the same result and I don't know
>>> where to go from here. At this point it could still be the HD, the
>>> MB, the power supply, the RAM..? I don't want to just start
>>> replacing components one by one until I figure out what it is so if
>>> anyone has any other suggestions I would love to hear them.
>>>
>>> Thank you.

>> If it's an older system (a few years) then it's possible there are
>> bad electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard. If any of the caps
>> on the motherboard look like the ones in the photo, then that is
>> your problem. Otherwise, probably the power supply.
>> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com/Bad%20Caps%20...133%20caps.jpg
>>

> Another thing you might want to consider is SP2 for XP. Have you
> d-loaded/installed this?

No, I haven't: why should I?

Perhaps it was done automatically without
> you knowing (though I think the Pro version isnt out yet). Some
> users who have installed XP SP2 are reporting exactly your symptoms
> since 'upgrading'. Then again - might be totally unrelated but its
> another thing to cross off your diagnostic list. Shaun

No, I have automatic updates disabled. I'm not the one with the
problem, the OP is. Perhaps you should respond to the OP.

spodosaurus

Shawk wrote:
> "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Carver Lee wrote:
>>
>>>It's been running for a couple weeks straight without a reboot then
>>>suddenly last night it restarted itself. It booted back up fine but
>>>then restarted again.. and again.. and again.. I'm running XP Pro but
>>>this seems inconsequential because sometimes it restarts itself
>>>before windows even loads. At one point last night it would post, RAM
>>>check, IDE detect, restart.. wash-rinse-repeat.
>>>
>>>Here's what I have done already, looking for other suggestions..
>>>
>>>Checked all fans to make sure they were working because my initial
>>>though is that it was an overheating problem. All fans are working
>>>fine and the system shows the core temp to be <100*F.
>>>
>>>Removed everything from the case including MB and thoroughly blew out
>>>each component.
>>>
>>>Cleaned the contacts and reseated the RAM strip.
>>>
>>>Double-checked connection of ATX wire harness and all IDE cables.
>>>
>>>Disconnected and removed all unessential components (sound card,
>>>Ethernet card, CD Rom Drives, Slave HD and extra case fans) and tried
>>>with 1 HD, floppy, video card & keyboard.
>>>
>>>Ran everything outside the case to ensure the MB wasn't grounding
>>>somewhere against the case.
>>>
>>>All these tests yielded exactly the same result and I don't know
>>>where to go from here. At this point it could still be the HD, the
>>>MB, the power supply, the RAM..? I don't want to just start replacing
>>>components one by one until I figure out what it is so if anyone has
>>>any other suggestions I would love to hear them.
>>>
>>>Thank you.

>>If it's an older system (a few years) then it's possible there are bad
>>electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard. If any of the caps on the
>>motherboard look like the ones in the photo, then that is your problem.
>>Otherwise, probably the power supply.
>>ftp://geerynet.d2g.com/Bad%20Caps%20...133%20caps.jpg
>>

> Another thing you might want to consider is SP2 for XP. Have you
> d-loaded/installed this? Perhaps it was done automatically without you
> knowing (though I think the Pro version isnt out yet).

This says pro:

> Some users who have
> installed XP SP2 are reporting exactly your symptoms since 'upgrading'.
> Then again - might be totally unrelated but its another thing to cross off
> your diagnostic list. Shaun

Shawk

"ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Shawk wrote:
> > "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> If it's an older system (a few years) then it's possible there are
> >> bad electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard. If any of the caps
> >> on the motherboard look like the ones in the photo, then that is
> >> your problem. Otherwise, probably the power supply.
> >> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com/Bad%20Caps%20...133%20caps.jpg
> >>

> > Another thing you might want to consider is SP2 for XP. Have you
> > d-loaded/installed this?

> No, I haven't: why should I?
>
> Perhaps it was done automatically without
> > you knowing (though I think the Pro version isnt out yet). Some
> > users who have installed XP SP2 are reporting exactly your symptoms
> > since 'upgrading'. Then again - might be totally unrelated but its
> > another thing to cross off your diagnostic list. Shaun

> No, I have automatic updates disabled. I'm not the one with the
> problem, the OP is. Perhaps you should respond to the OP.

Thought I had

bardeban

I had the same problem in one of my systems. It happened to be overclocking
the CPU.
My CPU was CELERON 600MHz with 66MHz BUS, I was running it at 100MHz BUS,
for a while it was ok but suddenly it keep rebooting itself continuously.
After I realized what was wrong, I fixed the problem and everything went
back to normal.