Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > How to determine if a DLL is a COM DLL or .NET DLL

How to determine if a DLL is a COM DLL or .NET DLL

Anushi

Hi All,
Is there a way to determine if a Dll is a Com Dll or a .Net Dll ?
Any pointers are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Anushi

Nick Malik

why not just point ILDASM at the DLL. If it's not .NET, you will find out
quickly.

--- Nick

"Anushi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All,
> Is there a way to determine if a Dll is a Com Dll or a .Net Dll ?
> Any pointers are greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Anushi

=?Utf-8?B?UHJlbSBLdW1hcg==?=

Hi

I too got around with this same problem, but i've the solution only if it is
a VB5 or VB6 COM Dll. In the above two, the Dll Binary file will have a text
called MSVBVM (Microsoft Visual Basic Virtual Machine). So what you could do
is, in the Search->Files, goto the containing text and type "MSVBVM", so it
would list all the VB -COM Dlls

Prem

"Nick Malik" wrote:

> why not just point ILDASM at the DLL. If it's not .NET, you will find out
> quickly.
>
> --- Nick
>
> "Anushi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi All,
> > Is there a way to determine if a Dll is a Com Dll or a .Net Dll ?
> > Any pointers are greatly appreciated.
> > Thanks,
> > Anushi

Shankar Reddy

I think he is asking programatically ....isn't right Anushi?
"Prem Kumar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I too got around with this same problem, but i've the solution only if it

is
> a VB5 or VB6 COM Dll. In the above two, the Dll Binary file will have a

text
> called MSVBVM (Microsoft Visual Basic Virtual Machine). So what you could

do
> is, in the Search->Files, goto the containing text and type "MSVBVM", so

it
> would list all the VB -COM Dlls
>
> Prem
>
> "Nick Malik" wrote:
>
> > why not just point ILDASM at the DLL. If it's not .NET, you will find

out
> > quickly.
> >
> > --- Nick
> >
> > "Anushi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi All,
> > > Is there a way to determine if a Dll is a Com Dll or a .Net Dll ?
> > > Any pointers are greatly appreciated.
> > > Thanks,
> > > Anushi

Richard Grimes [MVP]

Anushi wrote:
> Hi All,
> Is there a way to determine if a Dll is a Com Dll or a .Net Dll ?
> Any pointers are greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Anushi

Look for the CLR header, this is documented in the ECMA spec.

DOS header starts at 0x0, the DWORD at 0x3c contains a pointer to the PE
signature (usually 0x80) which is 4 bytes, the next 20 bytes is the COFF
header and then there is the PE header (at 0x9. The PE header is 224 bytes
and contains the data directory (at 96 bytes into the PE header = 0xf. The
15th entry (at 0x16 is the CLR header descriptor (sometimes called the COM
descriptor, but this does not have anything to do with COM). If this is
empty (ie 0 in the 8 bytes from 0x168 to 0x16f) then the file is not a .NET
assembly. If you want to check if it is a COM DLL then you should look to
see if it exports GetClassObject.

Note that these offsets will be different for 64-bit DLLs.

Richard
--
..NET training, consultancy and mentoring
my email http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) is encrypted with ROT13 (www.rot13.org)

Ham

use "Dependency Walker" which comes with VC++ 6.0. This cool app lists all
available Dlls for your application