Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Bit Torrent help please

Bit Torrent help please

Lisa Taylor

I am new to all this downloading stuff so please forgive my ignorance.
I am finding it hard to come to grips with it all. I am managing to slowly
download something, but what is it that is uploading?
Is any of the stuff on my computer available to others? Can they upload my
avi files without permission - or worse?

Thank you,
Lisa

Flying Rat

In article <4123e07e$0$15837$(E-Mail Removed)>, 1234
@SODSPAMbikerlifestyle.co.uk says...
> I am new to all this downloading stuff so please forgive my ignorance.
> I am finding it hard to come to grips with it all. I am managing to slowly
> download something, but what is it that is uploading?
> Is any of the stuff on my computer available to others? Can they upload my
> avi files without permission - or worse?
>
> Thank you,
> Lisa

BT shares files, or more precisely bits of them. The upload is those
bits of the file you already have, that others need.

FR
--

www.flyingrat.net

Lord Jester

Lisa Taylor wrote:

> I am new to all this downloading stuff so please forgive my ignorance.
> I am finding it hard to come to grips with it all. I am managing to slowly
> download something, but what is it that is uploading?
> Is any of the stuff on my computer available to others? Can they upload my
> avi files without permission - or worse?
>
> Thank you,
> Lisa

What is being uploaded is what you have already downloaded of the current
file. Bit torrent is based on users sharing what they download. For example
most prefer that you upload (seed) to a 1:1 ratio. In other words, upload
what you download. No worries about your personal files being uploaded
unless you specifically build a torrent file and upload (seed) it.

For more info check out this FAQ:
http://dessent.net/btfaq/

Hope this helps,
JesterDev
~/|\~

Lisa Taylor

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

----------------------
> What is being uploaded is what you have already downloaded of the current
> file. Bit torrent is based on users sharing what they download. For

example
> most prefer that you upload (seed) to a 1:1 ratio. In other words, upload
> what you download. No worries about your personal files being uploaded
> unless you specifically build a torrent file and upload (seed) it.
>
> For more info check out this FAQ:
> http://dessent.net/btfaq/

------------------------
Thanks very much for explaining this to me, all I need to do now is find the
goodies!
Lisa

> Hope this helps,
> JesterDev
> ~/|\~

Flying Rat

In article <4123e9ed$0$8483$(E-Mail Removed)>, 1234
@SODSPAMbikerlifestyle.co.uk says...
> Thanks very much for explaining this to me, all I need to do now is find the
> goodies!
> Lisa

www.suprnova.org

FR
--

www.flyingrat.net

EOS

"Flying Rat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> In article <4123e9ed$0$8483$(E-Mail Removed)>, 1234
> @SODSPAMbikerlifestyle.co.uk says...
> > Thanks very much for explaining this to me, all I need to do now is find

the
> > goodies!
> > Lisa
> >

> www.suprnova.org