Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Do I need a special cable to transfer files

Do I need a special cable to transfer files

Adam

Want to migrate files from Win98 to XP using FAST. Will any old serial
cable work, or do I have to get a special one? Reason I ask is the MS's
instructions talk about a "Direct" cable. Thanks,
Adam

--
To email, erase "forgetit"

░Mike░

A serial cable is probably the worst way to transfer
your files across. The fastest method is to remove
the 98 drive and temporarily slave it to the XP machine,
and transfer the files directly, drive-to-drive.

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:35:03 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Adam scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Adam

░Mike░ wrote:

>A serial cable is probably the worst way to transfer
>your files across. The fastest method is to remove
>the 98 drive and temporarily slave it to the XP machine,
>and transfer the files directly, drive-to-drive.
>

>On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:35:03 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Adam scrawled:
>

>>Want to migrate files from Win98 to XP using FAST. Will any old serial
>>cable work, or do I have to get a special one? Reason I ask is the MS's
>>instructions talk about a "Direct" cable. Thanks,
>>Adam

Just what is entailed in swapping drives. Is it just taking out and
installing, or do I have to monkey around with settings. And, when
replacing the drive tot he old machine, is that it, or is there more to
it? I've installed zip drives and RAM, but that's about the length of
my experience here. Thanks,
Adam

--
To email, erase "forgetit"

Jerry G.

You can either transfer from drive to drive, by installing the old drive as
a second drive in the new machine, or you can install a network card in each
machine. You can then make a simple peer to peer network. This would be the
best. you can drag and drop the files across at 100 mb/Sec which is very
quick. Having a network set-up is good, in case in the future you want to
connector other machines to yours.

--

Jerry G.
==========================

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

--
Basic computer maintenance

Me

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:48:21 -0400, Adam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>┬░Mike┬░ wrote:
>
>>A serial cable is probably the worst way to transfer
>>your files across. The fastest method is to remove
>>the 98 drive and temporarily slave it to the XP machine,
>>and transfer the files directly, drive-to-drive.
>>

>>On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:35:03 -0400, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Adam scrawled:
>>

>>>Want to migrate files from Win98 to XP using FAST. Will any old serial
>>>cable work, or do I have to get a special one? Reason I ask is the MS's
>>>instructions talk about a "Direct" cable. Thanks,
>>>Adam
>>>

>Just what is entailed in swapping drives. Is it just taking out and
>installing, or do I have to monkey around with settings. And, when
>replacing the drive tot he old machine, is that it, or is there more to
>it? I've installed zip drives and RAM, but that's about the length of
>my experience here. Thanks,
>Adam

If you have to ask, don't try it. Either have someone do it for you, or use
a cable.

How-to: Simple 2 Computer Network wo/hub
http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/simple.htm

Step-by-Step - Networking for Dummies
http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/guide.htm

http://www.wown.com/
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
http://www.carricksolutions.com/networking.htm
http://www.performit.co.uk/network/
http://smallnetbuilder.com/

Pennywise

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:35:03 -0400, Adam
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> Want to migrate files from Win98 to XP using FAST

|>Will any old serial
|>cable work, or do I have to get a special one? Reason I ask is the MS's
|>instructions talk about a "Direct" cable.

Any serial cable will work... but you will need a null-modem ($10 at
radio shack) that you fit between the cable and serial port.

Real slow going for what you want to do, Any of the other options
given by the others are a better idea than this.

░Mike░

See the reply from "Me".

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:48:21 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Adam scrawled:

>░Mike░ wrote:
>
>>A serial cable is probably the worst way to transfer
>>your files across. The fastest method is to remove
>>the 98 drive and temporarily slave it to the XP machine,
>>and transfer the files directly, drive-to-drive.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

░Mike░

Why are you telling me this?

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:52:21 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Jerry G. scrawled:

>You can either transfer from drive to drive, by installing the old drive as
>a second drive in the new machine, or you can install a network card in each
>machine. You can then make a simple peer to peer network. This would be the
>best. you can drag and drop the files across at 100 mb/Sec which is very
>quick. Having a network set-up is good, in case in the future you want to
>connector other machines to yours.
>

>"░Mike░" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>A serial cable is probably the worst way to transfer
>your files across. The fastest method is to remove
>the 98 drive and temporarily slave it to the XP machine,
>and transfer the files directly, drive-to-drive.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Michael

A network would be a crap idea for just for a couple of files and the amount
of time and money it would take to do.

If you need to know how to fit a secondary hard drive do as follows:

Unplug the hard drive out of the old pc

Check your hard drive for 'jumpers' these go across 2 pins some hard drives
will need these moved 2 the slave position they should be near the cable

Find a clear bay inside this other computer and screw it in
you might have to use your old screws

Now connect the cables making sure that the IDE cable the wide 1 comes out
of the motherboard into this 'slave' then the original 1 then plug in the
power cables and boot her up

Then just reverse this 2 put it back

if you get any problems just email me

"░Mike░" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why are you telling me this?
>

> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:52:21 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Jerry G. scrawled:
>
> >You can either transfer from drive to drive, by installing the old drive

as
> >a second drive in the new machine, or you can install a network card in

each
> >machine. You can then make a simple peer to peer network. This would be

the
> >best. you can drag and drop the files across at 100 mb/Sec which is very
> >quick. Having a network set-up is good, in case in the future you want

> >connector other machines to yours.
> >

> >"░Mike░" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >A serial cable is probably the worst way to transfer
> >your files across. The fastest method is to remove
> >the 98 drive and temporarily slave it to the XP machine,
> >and transfer the files directly, drive-to-drive.
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Sankh-re-hir-kheru XVI

Michael wrote:
> A network would be a crap idea for just for a couple of files and the
> amount of time and money it would take to do.
>
> If you need to know how to fit a secondary hard drive do as follows:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

2 off 100mbps NICs @ 15 Australian pesos each. One off crossover cable, 20m
@ 10 Australian pesos.