Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > annoying pop up

annoying pop up

Nick Heaps

I've got an annoying popup coming up and all attempts to remove it have come
up naught to date.

It's a window that comes up at the bottom of the screen when Internet
Explorer is opened. The properties indicate that it's attached to the
following web page:
http://lop.com/passthrough/newpass.html

I can not get rid of it. I've ran Adaware and spybot but they do not take
it away.

Any help pls

type http://lop.com/passthrough/newpass.html into google to educate yourself
as to what you are dealing with then follow ALL of below and be sure they
are all up to date!!!

Courtesy of °Mike°:

Download, update and use ALL of the following -- even
if you already have them installed, UPDATE THEM NOW.
Malware changes by the day, even by the hour, so you MUST
have the latest version of removal tools:

Spybot Search & Destroy
http://spybot.safer-networking.de/en/index.html
http://spybot.eon.net.au/
SpyBot S&D guide

Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
http://www.lavasoft.nu/
http://www.lavasoft.de/
Ad-Aware VX2 cleaner plug-in
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/...2cleaner.shtml
http://www.lavasoft.nu/software/plug...2cleaner.shtml
http://www.lavasoft.de/software/plug...2cleaner.shtml
IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Spyware Blaster
http://www.net-integration.net/tools...reblaster.html

CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
http://doxdesk.com/parasite/CoolWebSearch.html

If you are unable to download any of the files here and are redirected to a
porn page, search page or just denied access to the file, try these
alternate links that should always work:

HijackThis direct download:
http://209.133.47.12/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe

CWShredder direct download:
http://209.133.47.12/~merijn/files/CWShredder.exe

The redirection is probably because of a Coolwebsearch variant
(CWS.Aff.Tooncomics or CWS.Dreplace) that intercepts your download to
prevent downloading my programs.

"Nick Heaps" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HXqUc.11235$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I've got an annoying popup coming up and all attempts to remove it have

come
> up naught to date.
>
> It's a window that comes up at the bottom of the screen when Internet
> Explorer is opened. The properties indicate that it's attached to the
> following web page:
> http://lop.com/passthrough/newpass.html
>
> I can not get rid of it. I've ran Adaware and spybot but they do not take
> it away.
>
> Any help pls

Robert

Nick Heaps wrote:

> I can not get rid of it.**I've*ran*Adaware*and*spybot*but*they*do*not*take
> it away.

Well looks to me you might have caught some malware. Have look around what
other tools are available e.g. XP-Antispy etc.! I'd also suggest trashing
IE and using Mozilla, Firefox or Opera if you like.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those that understand binary and those that don't.

DennisC

"Nick Heaps" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HXqUc.11235$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I've got an annoying popup coming up and all attempts to remove it have

come
> up naught to date.
>
> It's a window that comes up at the bottom of the screen when Internet
> Explorer is opened. The properties indicate that it's attached to the
> following web page:
> http://lop.com/passthrough/newpass.html
>
> I can not get rid of it. I've ran Adaware and spybot but they do not take
> it away.
>
> Any help pls

Hello Nick,
First some general maintenance. If you do not have Internet Explorer 6.x
download and install it. Go to Windows Update and download and install
all updates, especially secuurity updates for IE 6. Once that is completed
open IE 6 and go to Tools | Internet Options | Security | Set all to default
security. Select Restricted Sites Click on Sites and ensure you have the
following entry: *.lop.com. If it is not listed, add it.
Then go to the following web site:
http://nirsoft.cjb.net/
Download and install IECookiesView v.1.60. It is a stand alone
executable. Open it and select File | Installation Options and select
show a cookies button in the IE toolbar. Open IE 6 and right click
just above the address bar and select customize. Add the cookies
button from the available buttons. Open IE CookiesView and look
for anything related to lop.com. If you find it, delete it. In fact delete
all cookies from sites you do not recognize as valid. Even if you delete
cookies from sites you do use when you re-visit the site the cookie
will be reset.
One final note, IECookiesView is a super utility for deleting ad
related cookies and tracking cookies.
Have Fun..
DennisC