Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Resetting IE options.

Reply
Thread Tools

Resetting IE options.

 
 
TinCanMan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2004
I have a Win2k Pro sp4 system on a broadband connection. I was
recently plagued with multiple persistant spyware/crapware
applications which came close to shutting down my system. I managed to
clean out the little devils using half a dozen or more apps like
Ad-Aware, SpyBot, X-Cleaner, Bazooka, DSO Blaster, and others I can no
longer remember the name for. After a steep learning process I was
able to exorcise the demons and regain control of my system. The
learning process continues, though. I recently discovered one or more
of the spyware cleaners enabled me to "fix" IE to prevent changes in
the Tools>Internet Options>Security>Custom window.

I now find I need to modify those settings (Specifically, the Active-X
settings)at times and I have no idea where those changes were made and
how to back out. Can someone tell me where to look for possible
solutions? I suspect it's in the registry but can't find it.

TIA
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2004
In SpyBot S&D (Advanced mode) go to the 'Tools'
tab and click on 'IE Tweaks'. Uncheck 'Lock IE
Control Panel....'


On 16 Aug 2004 11:01:48 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed) >
TinCanMan scrawled:

>I have a Win2k Pro sp4 system on a broadband connection. I was
>recently plagued with multiple persistant spyware/crapware
>applications which came close to shutting down my system. I managed to
>clean out the little devils using half a dozen or more apps like
>Ad-Aware, SpyBot, X-Cleaner, Bazooka, DSO Blaster, and others I can no
>longer remember the name for. After a steep learning process I was
>able to exorcise the demons and regain control of my system. The
>learning process continues, though. I recently discovered one or more
>of the spyware cleaners enabled me to "fix" IE to prevent changes in
>the Tools>Internet Options>Security>Custom window.
>
>I now find I need to modify those settings (Specifically, the Active-X
>settings)at times and I have no idea where those changes were made and
>how to back out. Can someone tell me where to look for possible
>solutions? I suspect it's in the registry but can't find it.
>
>TIA


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
TinCanMan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2004
OK, thanx but it doesn't look like that was it. 'Lock IE Control Panel....'
was unchecked. I also checked the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Inte rnet Explorer and that key
"Internet Explorer" appears to be missing.

"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In SpyBot S&D (Advanced mode) go to the 'Tools'
> tab and click on 'IE Tweaks'. Uncheck 'Lock IE
> Control Panel....'
>
>
> On 16 Aug 2004 11:01:48 -0700, in
> <(E-Mail Removed) >
> TinCanMan scrawled:
>
> >I have a Win2k Pro sp4 system on a broadband connection. I was
> >recently plagued with multiple persistant spyware/crapware
> >applications which came close to shutting down my system. I managed to
> >clean out the little devils using half a dozen or more apps like
> >Ad-Aware, SpyBot, X-Cleaner, Bazooka, DSO Blaster, and others I can no
> >longer remember the name for. After a steep learning process I was
> >able to exorcise the demons and regain control of my system. The
> >learning process continues, though. I recently discovered one or more
> >of the spyware cleaners enabled me to "fix" IE to prevent changes in
> >the Tools>Internet Options>Security>Custom window.
> >
> >I now find I need to modify those settings (Specifically, the Active-X
> >settings)at times and I have no idea where those changes were made and
> >how to back out. Can someone tell me where to look for possible
> >solutions? I suspect it's in the registry but can't find it.
> >
> >TIA

>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance
> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html



 
Reply With Quote
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2004
Then go back to the software that borked it up, and
unbork it -- in the future, I suggest that you stick
with these, and only these:

Spybot Search & Destroy
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
http://spybot.safer-networking.de/en/index.html
http://spybot.eon.net.au/
SpyBot S&D guide
http://www.chem.wisc.edu/~network/spybot/

Ad-Aware SE
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
http://www.lavasoft.nu/
http://www.lavasoft.de/
Ad-Aware VX2 cleaner plug-in
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/...2cleaner.shtml
http://www.lavasoft.nu/software/plug...2cleaner.shtml
http://www.lavasoft.de/software/plug...2cleaner.shtml
IMPORTANT NOTICE:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm#Attention

Spyware Blaster
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
http://www.net-integration.net/tools...reblaster.html

CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/cwshredder.zip
http://doxdesk.com/parasite/CoolWebSearch.html

HijackThis
http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/hijackthis.zip
http://209.133.47.12/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe
http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip
http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe


On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 18:26:36 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
TinCanMan scrawled:

>OK, thanx but it doesn't look like that was it. 'Lock IE Control Panel....'
>was unchecked. I also checked the
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Int ernet Explorer and that key
>"Internet Explorer" appears to be missing.


<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Resetting wireless setup =?Utf-8?B?SmltNzg5?= Wireless Networking 2 10-31-2005 03:39 AM
printer resetting default for networked computers =?Utf-8?B?Q29ubmll?= Wireless Networking 1 07-27-2005 01:40 PM
gateway not resetting Dwight Wireless Networking 2 04-15-2005 07:52 PM
Resetting =?Utf-8?B?U25vb2s=?= Wireless Networking 4 02-03-2005 08:18 AM
Resetting icon in upper right. slacK_ Firefox 2 07-16-2004 06:29 AM



Advertisments