Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > File transfer: XP wizard or Intellimover?

File transfer: XP wizard or Intellimover?

Adam

Going to be transferring files from Win 98 to XP. I've got Detto's
Intellimover. Which would you use. Intellimover or XP's wizard? Why?
Thanks,
Adam

--
To email, erase "forgetit"

DennisC

"Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Going to be transferring files from Win 98 to XP. I've got Detto's
> Intellimover. Which would you use. Intellimover or XP's wizard? Why?
> Thanks,
> Adam

To email, erase "forgetit"
Hello Adam,
If I had to choose between the two I would use Intellimover.
Intellimover has the ability to choose which files and settings you
wish to migrate. XP's wizard is more generic. In other words,
Intellimover gives you far more detailed information. I like
to have complete control.
Cheers..
DennisC

Adam

DennisC wrote:

>"Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

>>Going to be transferring files from Win 98 to XP. I've got Detto's
>>Intellimover. Which would you use. Intellimover or XP's wizard? Why?
>>Thanks,
>>Adam
>>

> To email, erase "forgetit"
>Hello Adam,
>If I had to choose between the two I would use Intellimover.
>Intellimover has the ability to choose which files and settings you
>wish to migrate. XP's wizard is more generic. In other words,
>Intellimover gives you far more detailed information. I like
>to have complete control.
>Cheers..
>DennisC

Thanks, Dennis. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a custom file
transfer with the XP wizard. I believe that one can do the automatic
install, but there is also a choice to pick and choose files to migrate.

Adam

--
To email, erase "forgetit"

Ron Martell

Adam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks, Dennis. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a custom file
>transfer with the XP wizard. I believe that one can do the automatic
>install, but there is also a choice to pick and choose files to migrate.
>
>Adam

Yes. The Windows XP Files And Settings Transfer Wizard can be
customized to add or remove types of files, folders, etc., as you
wish.

See the article by former MVP Gary Woodruff at
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

I have no experience with Intellimover so I cannot comment on the
comparison between the two.

The only complaint I have ever had with FASTW is that it tends to move
too much - graphics from Tempory Internet Files and Temp folders,
recycle bin stuff, etc. No problem if you do a proper housecleaning
first but....

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

127.0.0.1

"Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Going to be transferring files from Win 98 to XP. I've got Detto's
> Intellimover. Which would you use. Intellimover or XP's wizard? Why?
> Thanks,
> Adam
>
> --
> To email, erase "forgetit"

i've used XP file transfer utility on a 700 pc rollout.
works great. default settings will take care of your outlook/express/address
book/favourites.

pictures and music are dropped into the default directories in my documents.

you can also customize by file extensions.

never used intellimover.

-a|ex