Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > AMD XP 3000+ or AMD64

AMD XP 3000+ or AMD64

*** JB

Is it worth me paying a little bit more for an AMD64 Processor/Mainboard
combo or should I stick with the slightly older 3000+ processer / mainboard
combo?

What are everyones views?
thanks

Fitz

Prices on the AMD64 have dropped considerably since I bought mine. Given the
choice, I would certainly opt for the 64. Even without a 64bit OS, it's an
improvement over the Athlon chip because of the way it handles memory.

If you do go with the AMD64, get quality memory, and I would suggest a
minimum of PC3500. If you read the AMD forums, you'll see a lot of post
concerning memory problems. I had to change Kingston HyperX PC3200 to
Mushkin Level 1 PC3500 to stop random reboots (regardless of application).
The system is now stable, and runs very well.

Fitz

Avengerę

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 07:51:10 +0100, "*** JB"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is it worth me paying a little bit more for an AMD64 Processor/Mainboard
>combo

Yes

--

Avengerę
"Put the CAT out to reply"

Jim Berwick

"*** JB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:41205954$0$20250$(E-Mail Removed):

> Is it worth me paying a little bit more for an AMD64
> Processor/Mainboard combo or should I stick with the slightly older
> 3000+ processer / mainboard combo?

Definitely worth it. Onboard memory controller alone makes it worth it.
And the idea that one day you may have a 64-bit OS and a 64-bit version of
Doom3 or a 64-bit Windows port of UT2k4 is just icing on the cake.

General Schvantzkoph

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:42:22 -0800, Fitz wrote:

> Prices on the AMD64 have dropped considerably since I bought mine. Given the
> choice, I would certainly opt for the 64. Even without a 64bit OS, it's an
> improvement over the Athlon chip because of the way it handles memory.
>
> If you do go with the AMD64, get quality memory, and I would suggest a
> minimum of PC3500. If you read the AMD forums, you'll see a lot of post
> concerning memory problems. I had to change Kingston HyperX PC3200 to
> Mushkin Level 1 PC3500 to stop random reboots (regardless of application).
> The system is now stable, and runs very well.
>
> Fitz

The Athlon 64 is screaming fast. For a desktop I'd go with a 939 pin part
which has twice the memory bandwidth and a lower load on each bus (2
rather than 3 dimms). I have an A64 laptop (754 pin, 3400+), all my
benchmarking shows it to be equivalent to a 4-5GHz Xeon (depending on
application). Mandrake 10.0 AMD64 edition installed without a problem.

JK

Are you building a new pc, or do you already have an XP3000+?
What types of software do you run? If you run only business
applications, then an XP3000+ would be fine. If you run multimedia,
games, or other large bandwidth applications, then you should get
an Athlon 64.

*** JB wrote:

> Is it worth me paying a little bit more for an AMD64 Processor/Mainboard
> combo or should I stick with the slightly older 3000+ processer / mainboard
> combo?
>
> What are everyones views?
> thanks

*** JB

cheers for all the advice guys - looks like i'll go for the AMD64 Combo soon

"*** JB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41205954$0$20250$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it worth me paying a little bit more for an AMD64 Processor/Mainboard
> combo or should I stick with the slightly older 3000+ processer /

mainboard
> combo?
>
> What are everyones views?
> thanks

General Schvantzkoph <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> The Athlon 64 is screaming fast. For a desktop I'd go with a 939 pin part
> which has twice the memory bandwidth and a lower load on each bus (2
> rather than 3 dimms). I have an A64 laptop (754 pin, 3400+), all my
> benchmarking shows it to be equivalent to a 4-5GHz Xeon (depending on
> application). Mandrake 10.0 AMD64 edition installed without a problem.

Which laptop did you finally decide to get?

Thanks.

General Schvantzkoph

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 02:44:50 +0000, -- wrote:

> General Schvantzkoph <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> The Athlon 64 is screaming fast. For a desktop I'd go with a 939 pin part
>> which has twice the memory bandwidth and a lower load on each bus (2
>> rather than 3 dimms). I have an A64 laptop (754 pin, 3400+), all my
>> benchmarking shows it to be equivalent to a 4-5GHz Xeon (depending on
>> application). Mandrake 10.0 AMD64 edition installed without a problem.
>>

> Which laptop did you finally decide to get?
>
> Thanks.

I got the Compaq R3000z with an Athlon 64 3400+, 1G RAM, 60G drive,
1680x1050 screen and built in 802.11G. The 802.11G card was free
otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it since it's useless (no Linux drivers
and no 64 bit Windows drivers which are necessary for ndiswrapper). The
Compaq R3000z and the HP zv5000z are identical except for color. The HP
cost $200 more, not clear why. The big screen is nice but It makes the
laptop a little unwieldy, I think if I had it to do over I'd get the
smaller screen. The one thing I absolutely would not buy again is the HP
carrying case, it's not much better than a shopping bag. The case came in
a bundle with a mouse and a USB cable, skip it and just get a third
party mouse and case.

I put Mandrake 10.0 AMD64 edition on it. It installed without to much
fiddling. The only thing that required any hacking was the XFConfig file
to get it to support the 1680x1050 screen. If you get the standard screen
it will work right out of the box. The other thing that I had to do was
build a 2.6.8.1 kernel to get the Cool & Quiet clock speed control to
work. That was very simple to do. Once you have a kernel that supports
Cool & QUiet, switching clock speeds is trivial, just echo the clock speed
into the scaling_setspeed file.

echo 2200000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed

Duddits

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 00:11:22 -0400, General Schvantzkoph
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The HP
>cost $200 more, not clear why.

Check again. They are within `$25.00 if identical options are selected.

regards

Dud

--

Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter
when they come at you rapidly.