Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Applying a mandatory profile to a user group

Applying a mandatory profile to a user group

JH

We're currently replacing / upgrading our Win98 machines with XP and 2000.

As part of the upgrade we intend to set our students up with mandatory
profiles. Is it possible to apply the mandatory profile to an entire user
group or will we have to update each logon individually via User Manager for
Domains (we're on an NT4 server)

Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks

Brian

"JH" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We're currently replacing / upgrading our Win98 machines with XP and 2000.
>
> As part of the upgrade we intend to set our students up with mandatory
> profiles. Is it possible to apply the mandatory profile to an entire user
> group or will we have to update each logon individually via User Manager

for
> Domains (we're on an NT4 server)
>
> Any help would be most appreciated!
>
> Thanks

use server based profiles.. create the group on the server>>apply
restrictions (using the snap-in)>>throw all user accounts that apply into
that group (i.e add all students accounts to that group policy and remove
existing policies if they had individual ones).. thats what domains and
servers are for..

JH

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "JH" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > We're currently replacing / upgrading our Win98 machines with XP and

2000.

> > As part of the upgrade we intend to set our students up with mandatory
> > profiles. Is it possible to apply the mandatory profile to an entire

user
> > group or will we have to update each logon individually via User Manager

> for
> > Domains (we're on an NT4 server)
> >
> > Any help would be most appreciated!
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> use server based profiles.. create the group on the server>>apply
> restrictions (using the snap-in)>>throw all user accounts that apply into
> that group (i.e add all students accounts to that group policy and remove
> existing policies if they had individual ones).. thats what domains and
> servers are for..

Brian, thanks for the reply

Isn't a mandatory profile a server based one? Also, when you say 'snap-in'
are you referring to a MMC snap in? If so, isn't that Win2000 / 2003 server
and not NT4 - which is my server OS?

The students already are part of a user group and I just wanted to see if
there was a way to apply the mandatory profile to the whole group (I'd guess
by using a group policy) instead of updating each profile.

Anyway thanks for you reply.

Brian

"JH" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "JH" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > We're currently replacing / upgrading our Win98 machines with XP and

> 2000.
> > >
> > > As part of the upgrade we intend to set our students up with mandatory
> > > profiles. Is it possible to apply the mandatory profile to an entire

> user
> > > group or will we have to update each logon individually via User

Manager
> > for
> > > Domains (we're on an NT4 server)
> > >
> > > Any help would be most appreciated!
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >

> > use server based profiles.. create the group on the server>>apply
> > restrictions (using the snap-in)>>throw all user accounts that apply

into
> > that group (i.e add all students accounts to that group policy and

remove
> > existing policies if they had individual ones).. thats what domains and
> > servers are for..
> >

> Brian, thanks for the reply
>
> Isn't a mandatory profile a server based one? Also, when you say 'snap-in'
> are you referring to a MMC snap in? If so, isn't that Win2000 / 2003

server
> and not NT4 - which is my server OS?
>
> The students already are part of a user group and I just wanted to see if
> there was a way to apply the mandatory profile to the whole group (I'd

guess
> by using a group policy) instead of updating each profile.
>
> Anyway thanks for you reply.

yes the "golden" word was group policy...

Dean C

Try Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=nts40

Yes, you can assign a mandatory profile to multiple users through
server manager. Microsoft give instructions in the above.

Suggest you get access to Mark Minasi's bible Windows NT Server 4.
Edition 5 pages 419-423 cover the issue well. Step by step
instructions are given

Same applies to Alan R. Carter's Windows NT4 MCSE study guide - pages
347-349.