Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Q: Deleting a file makes its folder write protected.

Q: Deleting a file makes its folder write protected.

Quivis

Hi, gurus.

On XP-Pro, if a file is deleted, its folder cannot be deleted/renamed
before you log off and log on again. It's almost like it's getting write
protected, even though it wasn't before.

It does not help if I empty the recycle-bin.

It (usually) does not help if I Shift-Delete the file; although it does
seem like this occasionally works. No idea why.

So, is there some setting somewhere that affects this behaviour? I mean
if I am admin on the computer, shouldn't I own my own files? Or am I
missing something.

TIA

Q.

JabberSmith

Some folder views do that.

Make sure you are on "details" view first. "Thumbnail" and "Icon" OPENS the
file to see what it is... then Windows can't delete it because its OPEN.

"Quivis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Hi, gurus.
>
> On XP-Pro, if a file is deleted, its folder cannot be deleted/renamed
> before you log off and log on again. It's almost like it's getting write
> protected, even though it wasn't before.
>
> It does not help if I empty the recycle-bin.
>
> It (usually) does not help if I Shift-Delete the file; although it does
> seem like this occasionally works. No idea why.
>
> So, is there some setting somewhere that affects this behaviour? I mean
> if I am admin on the computer, shouldn't I own my own files? Or am I
> missing something.
>
> TIA
>

> Q.

Quivis

says...

> Some folder views do that.
>
> Make sure you are on "details" view first. "Thumbnail" and "Icon" OPENS the
> file to see what it is... then Windows can't delete it because its OPEN.

Yes, that makes sense, sortta*, but I always, without exception, use the
list view. Or is this behaving this way, too?

Then, it wouldn't be possible to create a new folder (in list view
mode), putting a file in it, and then deleting the folder, right? But
this works for me, just as long as I don't delete a file in the folder,
or renaming it.

I have now also tried changing the properties for the parent folder to
"Documents" instead of "Images," and turned off indexing for the parent
folder and all sub folders and files. Still no go.

However, if I use my own program to rename or delete the file inside,
_then_ it works! My app uses the SHFileOperation API to rename/delete
files. What the heck does the system use?

Well, at least I've found out that there probably isn't a setting for
this...unless somebody else has some more info.

Thanks anyway for trying.

Q.
--
*) I said "sortta" since after collecting the info about the file, it
ought to close it again. If I had 3,000 files, or even more, in a