Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Why has my ISP forgotten my password?

Why has my ISP forgotten my password?

slacK_

Jim Weatherall wrote:

> When I try to open my email on Outlook Express I get a message which says
> Invalid user name or password.
>
> It is no good replying on email as I can't open them. My phone number is 023
> 9250 4997.

hmm. Number one is why would you put your phone number on a open
message board? Perhaps your ISP hasnt forgotten your password but you
simply misspelled your password when you entered it?

mAineAc

Jim Weatherall wrote:
> When I try to open my email on Outlook Express I get a message which says
> Invalid user name or password.
>
> It is no good replying on email as I can't open them. My phone number is 023
> 9250 4997.

This was a huge mistake. You never put your number or address on a news
server unless you like being harrassed. You need to contact your ISP for
the problem you are experiencing. They have not forgotten your password
you have or have issues with your setup. To receive replies you need to
check with the news server you posted on not your email.

Jim Weatherall

When I try to open my email on Outlook Express I get a message which says
Invalid user name or password.

It is no good replying on email as I can't open them. My phone number is 023
9250 4997.

TOM

"mAineAc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jim Weatherall wrote:
>> When I try to open my email on Outlook Express I get a message which says
>> Invalid user name or password.
>>
>> It is no good replying on email as I can't open them. My phone number is
>> 023
>> 9250 4997.
>>

> This was a huge mistake. You never put your number or address on a news
> server unless you like being harrassed. You need to contact your ISP for
> the problem you are experiencing. They have not forgotten your password
> you have or have issues with your setup. To receive replies you need to
> check with the news server you posted on not your email.

This happens a LOT with ntl. It wil probably be okay soon.

Puzzled

I suspect what we have is someone posting an
unsuspecting victims number, this is too dubious?

Contact your ISP/email provider, they will tell you
how to configure Outlook express.

"Jim Weatherall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:AVoTc.820$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I try to open my email on Outlook Express I get a message which says
> Invalid user name or password.
>
> It is no good replying on email as I can't open them. My phone number is

023
> 9250 4997.

SgtMinor

Puzzled wrote:

> I suspect what we have is someone posting an
> unsuspecting victims number, this is too dubious?

How do you feel about those who use an unsuspecting victim's URL like
http://www.forgotten.net/?

Kiro

"Puzzled" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cfldca$6l8$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jim Weatherall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:AVoTc.820$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > When I try to open my email on Outlook Express I get a message which

says
> > Invalid user name or password.
> >
> > It is no good replying on email as I can't open them. My phone number
> > is 023 9250 4997.

> I suspect what we have is someone posting an
> unsuspecting victims number, this is too dubious?

Not at all. As the saying goes "no-one ever went broke underestimating the
intelligence of the general public."

Also, it is "just" a telephone number after all. Anybody who likes making
prank calls has thousands of names+numbers to choose from in any phonebook.
It was a newbie mistake of his perhaps, but I think it unlikely to cause him
any grief.

But what i'm really curious about is - what the hell is it with NTL?? I
mean, there are thousands of ISPs on this planet, so why does this forum get
so many clueless posts from this one specific ISP?

Kiro

Blinky the Shark

Kiro wrote:

> But what i'm really curious about is - what the hell is it with NTL??
> I mean, there are thousands of ISPs on this planet, so why does this
> forum get so many clueless posts from this one specific ISP?

I suspect these are people who've set themselves up with a CD from NTL,
and part of that customization subscribes to this group in OE so it can
do NTL's customer service work.

So what the group gets is not just NTL customers (which would be bad
enough, as NTL seems to be brain dead) -- but the NTL customers that
have to have their hands held by a custom ISP CD...AND...they're
therefore all OE users, as well, with broken news clients. So with all
that sorting, the group *really* gets the dregs.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

An Important Health Reminder http://snipurl.com/healthyshark

Kiro

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Kiro wrote:
>
> > But what i'm really curious about is - what the hell is it with NTL??
> > I mean, there are thousands of ISPs on this planet, so why does this
> > forum get so many clueless posts from this one specific ISP?

> I suspect these are people who've set themselves up with a CD from NTL,
> and part of that customization subscribes to this group in OE so it can
> do NTL's customer service work.
>
> So what the group gets is not just NTL customers (which would be bad
> enough, as NTL seems to be brain dead) -- but the NTL customers that
> have to have their hands held by a custom ISP CD...AND...they're
> therefore all OE users, as well, with broken news clients. So with all
> that sorting, the group *really* gets the dregs.

hehe That would explain a lot.

I recall a user on my isp set up quite a comprehensive domain providing free
help to Australian broadband users. And reportedly, both our major
broadband ISPs here direct customers who ring their support-line to view
this private third-party page, rather than deal with it themselves!

The buckpassing is shameless.