Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Question About Multimedia Encyclopedias And Copyrights

Question About Multimedia Encyclopedias And Copyrights

Slyfoot

Hello...

I am wondering if anyone can tell me the legal fair use rules (in the
U.S.) for quoting from a multimedia encyclopedia (such as Grolier or
Encarta) online? For instance on Usenet or a LiveJournal weblog, is
it permissable to quote an article in part or in it's entirety as long
as it is properly attributed to the article's author and the
Encyclopedia source?

On a related note, are there any online encyclopedias which have no
copyright restrictions and can be freely quoted from? I realize the
risk of any legal threat to quoting something on the web is fairly
small, but I am interested in the legalities nonetheless.

~Sly

--
Sam Campbell III
Professional Dilettante

patrick

Slyfoot wrote:
> Hello...
>
> I am wondering if anyone can tell me the legal fair use rules (in the
> U.S.) for quoting from a multimedia encyclopedia (such as Grolier or
> Encarta) online? For instance on Usenet or a LiveJournal weblog, is
> it permissable to quote an article in part or in it's entirety as long
> as it is properly attributed to the article's author and the
> Encyclopedia source?
>
> On a related note, are there any online encyclopedias which have no
> copyright restrictions and can be freely quoted from? I realize the
> risk of any legal threat to quoting something on the web is fairly
> small, but I am interested in the legalities nonetheless.
>
> ~Sly

Fair Use! check http://google.com for the expert's opinions!

Slyfoot

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 22:01:40 GMT, patrick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Fair Use! check http://google.com for the expert's opinions!

I assume you are referring to Google's search capabilities "copying"
webpages... I'm not sure if the rules would apply to, say, Usenet or a
Weblog though. But really I'm just wanting to know if it's
permissable to copy and paste an Encyclopedia article from a CD.
There's too many hites for fair use and I don't know where to get the
best info. This is probably not the best place to ask, though.

~Sly