Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help needed with WinXP and file sync program

Help needed with WinXP and file sync program

Jimmy Dean

I have 2 physical HDs C: and D: and use a prog to sync important data
from C: to D:. It always worked perfectly with Win98/Me, but since I
have switched to WinXP, there is this problem:

Files copied to D: differ in their timestamp by up to 2 seconds. The
syncing prog thinks thay are different, deletes them and starts
resyncing all over again.

Any idea how to fix this timestamp issue in XP? (it never happened in
98/Me)?

Or si there a syncing prog which can hendle the timestanp problem and
run in BATCH mode?

thanx
jd

Brian

"Jimmy Dean" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have 2 physical HDs C: and D: and use a prog to sync important data
> from C: to D:. It always worked perfectly with Win98/Me, but since I
> have switched to WinXP, there is this problem:
>
> Files copied to D: differ in their timestamp by up to 2 seconds. The
> syncing prog thinks thay are different, deletes them and starts
> resyncing all over again.
>
> Any idea how to fix this timestamp issue in XP? (it never happened in
> 98/Me)?
>
> Or si there a syncing prog which can hendle the timestanp problem and
> run in BATCH mode?
>
> thanx
> jd

there was a similar thread recently.. is one of your HDDs ntfs and one Fat?
if so, that the prob. search through microsoft's knowledge base for it.

John Smith

"Jimmy Dean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have 2 physical HDs C: and D: and use a prog to sync important data
> from C: to D:. It always worked perfectly with Win98/Me, but since I
> have switched to WinXP, there is this problem:

If your goal is to simply keep C & D sync'ed to each other, have you
considered simply mirroring the drives?

Clean off the D drive, goto the drive manager - right click "my computer",
click manage, expand the "storage" if you have to, click "Disk Management".
At that point, you may have to conver the disk to a "dynamic" disk. Once
this is done, you will be able to select "mirror" from the choices you get
when you right click the drive.

What this does, is that "D" essentially becomes an exact "mirror" or "copy"
of C drive. You don't have to worry about it being kept up to date, the
system does it for you.

One note - you can not separately access your "D" drive again - because is
will be mirroring the "C" drive.

Hope this helps,

Fred.

John Smith

"Jimmy Dean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have 2 physical HDs C: and D: and use a prog to sync important data
> from C: to D:. It always worked perfectly with Win98/Me, but since I
> have switched to WinXP, there is this problem:
>
> Files copied to D: differ in their timestamp by up to 2 seconds. The
> syncing prog thinks thay are different, deletes them and starts
> resyncing all over again.

Oops - I am the first to admit that I am wrong - I see MS has put a spin on
their XP Pro edition - you can't mirror on the same computer - here is an
excerpt from their knowledge base:

You cannot create mirrored volumes or RAID-5 volumes on Windows XP Home
Edition, Windows XP Professional, or Windows XP 64-Bit Edition-based
computers. However, you can use a Windows XP Professional-based computer to
create a mirrored or RAID-5 volume on remote computers that are running
Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, or Windows 2000
Datacenter Server. You must have administrative privileges on the remote
computer to do this.

Sorry about that.

Fred.