Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Is it OK to Delete these files in the Windows Folder???

Is it OK to Delete these files in the Windows Folder???

fre

Is it OK to Delete these files in the Windows Folder???

In the Windows Folder:

Temporary Internet Files
Windows Update Setup Files
Downloaded Installations
Cookies
Cache
Internet Logs
User Data

Any potential problems deleted the content of these folders?

DL

To be safe use Disk Cleanup

"fre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it OK to Delete these files in the Windows Folder???
>
> In the Windows Folder:
>
> Temporary Internet Files
> Windows Update Setup Files
> Downloaded Installations
> Cookies
> Cache
> Internet Logs
> User Data
>
> Any potential problems deleted the content of these folders?

Ron Martell

fre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is it OK to Delete these files in the Windows Folder???
>
>In the Windows Folder:
>
>Temporary Internet Files

A good idea as part of any periodic cleanup of your hard drive. If
you have a dial-up internet connection then deleting the t.i.f. will
slow down your access to web pages you have recently visited, at least
until the t.i.f. is repopulated. If you have a high speed internet
connection then it is usually a good practice to configure Internet
Explorer to delete the t.i.f. when it is closed. This setting is
found in Tools - Internet Options - Advanced

>Windows Update Setup Files

This will remove your ability to uninstall any of these updates,
should you ever need or want to.

>Downloaded Installations

Should you ever need to reinstall any of the applications whose
install files are in this folder then you will have to download them
again.

>Cookies

This will result in your no longer being "recognized" when you return
to a web site that you have previously visited. Any user options you
may have configured for that site will be lost and you will likely
have to re-enter any login data (user name & password) for that site.

>Cache

May affect performance a bit if Windows needs to regenerate any of the
subfolders or files in it.

>Internet Logs

My folder has 3 files in it, and they are over 3 years old and seem to
date back to a time when I had Zone Alarm installed on this machine.
If your folder has more current information then you may want to be a
bit cautious, especially if you use Zone Alarm.

>User Data

No such folder on my system. Do you have multiple users configured
for your system? This folder may be related to that.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

David Matthew Wood

> To be safe use Disk Cleanup

The problem with Disk Cleanup though is that it often leaves tons of
stuff behind that is no longer needed. Example: I've used disk cleanup
many times, only to find that a couple hundred megs of old crap that
will never be used by anything, still remains in the Windows Temp folder.

geothermal

fre wrote:
> Is it OK to Delete these files in the Windows Folder???
>
> In the Windows Folder:
>
> Temporary Internet Files
> Windows Update Setup Files
> Downloaded Installations
> Cookies
> Cache
> Internet Logs
> User Data
>
> Any potential problems deleted the content of these folders?

I delete half my cookies every month or so. Some of my fav
message boards and websites use the "good" cookies and I hand delete
the "bad" cookies.

I delete my cache and temp folders every week or so.

But seriously the best way to learn about computers is to just start
deleting stuff and then to reboot ! (^:

Back up everything first of course.

Boy, it sure was fun with Windows 3.1 when I deleted some .com files
to see what might happen. Yikes !

geothermal

Ron Martell

geothermal <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
<snip>

>Boy, it sure was fun with Windows 3.1 when I deleted some .com files
>to see what might happen. Yikes !

You usually learn more from one good mistake than you do from 6 months
of doing things right.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

ProfGene

It is safe to delete cookies and temporary internet files and installation
files though sometimes these come in handy if you have to restore your
system. The others I would think might cause problems but I am not certain.