Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable problem

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable problem

MJJ

Need some help here, please.

I encountered a problem using Remote Installation Service (RIS) on Windows
Server 2003 and a brandnew Asus P4C800 mainboard with a build-in Marvell
Gigabit NIC.

I included the NIC-drivers in the original CD-image of XP-Professional (with
the extra $oem$ folderstructure).
The client booted nicely from on the NIC, starting PXE, found the DHCP, got
an IP (showing the MAC and GUID) and the installation of XP started fine. It
formatted the drive, copied all nessasary installation files and started to
install XP. So far, no problem.

Once the Setup from XP rebooted the machine before further installation, I
suddenly noticed this error:
"PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable"
"PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM"

The setup of XP continued the installation and XP is running fine.

The trouble is, I can not get the PXE-ROM connection over the LAN-adapter
working again. With XP running, the LAN connection works fine. I already
tried changing the bootorder and disabling harddrive, cdrom, etc. Nothing
helps.

What is going wrong here with the PXE? Why did it suddenly stop working once
the XP-Setup rebooted the machine?

MJJ