Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 120GB hard drives

120GB hard drives

Nick Heaps

I've just bought a 120GB drive but my computer will anly recognize 33GB. My
mother board is set to auto recognition for my hard drives.

I'm running XPwith a P4 1.7mhz processor on an ASUS P4S522 motherboard.
512mb ram.

ICee

Nick Heaps wrote:
> I've just bought a 120GB drive but my computer will anly recognize
> 33GB. My mother board is set to auto recognition for my hard drives.
>
> I'm running XPwith a P4 1.7mhz processor on an ASUS P4S522
> motherboard. 512mb ram.

Is the drive jumpered correctly? Did you format the drive as FAT32
volume (will only "see" 32 GB)? Since you're installing XP, format the
drive as NTFS.

Nick Heaps

Thanks for the info.

This is a new drive and my computer, when booted from a startup disk the
fdisk only recognizes 32mb. The drive is not formated yet.

"ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nick Heaps wrote:
> > I've just bought a 120GB drive but my computer will anly recognize
> > 33GB. My mother board is set to auto recognition for my hard drives.
> >
> > I'm running XPwith a P4 1.7mhz processor on an ASUS P4S522
> > motherboard. 512mb ram.

> Is the drive jumpered correctly? Did you format the drive as FAT32
> volume (will only "see" 32 GB)? Since you're installing XP, format the
> drive as NTFS.

Valverdez

"ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nick Heaps wrote:
> > I've just bought a 120GB drive but my computer will anly recognize
> > 33GB. My mother board is set to auto recognition for my hard drives.
> >
> > I'm running XPwith a P4 1.7mhz processor on an ASUS P4S522
> > motherboard. 512mb ram.

> Is the drive jumpered correctly? Did you format the drive as FAT32
> volume (will only "see" 32 GB)? Since you're installing XP, format the
> drive as NTFS.

Your MB may only recognize smaller drives, time for a BIOS update me thinks
Also, try a hard drive manager, your drive may come with one, check the
manufacturer. I am assuming that the drive is not formated yet, as
mentioned above "Did you format the drive as FAT32 volume (will only "see"
32 GB)" even if you format the drive in NTFS it will not change the fact
that the system will only "see" 32 Gb's... No, my guess is the BIOS or the
auto recognize, try doing it manually...

Ciao, Valverde

ICee

Insert the XP CD, go into the BIOS and set it to boot from the CD. You
will be able to format and partition the drive as an NTFS volume, then
follow the instructions to install XP.

Nick Heaps wrote:
> Thanks for the info.
>
> This is a new drive and my computer, when booted from a startup disk
> the fdisk only recognizes 32mb. The drive is not formated yet.
>

> "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Nick Heaps wrote:
>>> I've just bought a 120GB drive but my computer will anly recognize
>>> 33GB. My mother board is set to auto recognition for my hard
>>> drives.
>>>
>>> I'm running XPwith a P4 1.7mhz processor on an ASUS P4S522
>>> motherboard. 512mb ram.

>> Is the drive jumpered correctly? Did you format the drive as FAT32
>> volume (will only "see" 32 GB)? Since you're installing XP, format
>> the drive as NTFS.

David Matthew Wood

> Thanks for the info.
>
> This is a new drive and my computer, when booted from a startup disk the
> fdisk only recognizes 32mb. The drive is not formated yet.

I'm sure you meant to say 32gb, not mb. At any rate, it sounds like you
have the 32gb limit set. Check and recheck the jumpers on the drive as
well as the documentation that came with the drive. The reason it is
there in the first place is to allow compatibility with older BIOSes, as
some completely choke when they see a drive that big.

Ron Martell

"Nick Heaps" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've just bought a 120GB drive but my computer will anly recognize 33GB. My
>mother board is set to auto recognition for my hard drives.
>
>I'm running XPwith a P4 1.7mhz processor on an ASUS P4S522 motherboard.
>512mb ram.

Asus does not list a P4S522 model. I suspect that you meant P4S533

That motherboard should be new enough to include support for large
hard drives. Go to the Asus web site and check for a possible BIOS
update for your specific model and revision number.

Start with http://usa.asus.com/prog/p_search.as...4s533&langs=09

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Jim Berwick

Ron Martell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> That motherboard should be new enough to include support for large
> hard drives. Go to the Asus web site and check for a possible BIOS
> update for your specific model and revision number.

I would also have to suggest in addition to what Ron said, make sure you
don't have a jumper on the drive to limit it to 32GB for compatibility
purposes.

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"Nick Heaps" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:166Sc.11946$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I've just bought a 120GB drive but my computer will anly recognize 33GB.

My
> mother board is set to auto recognition for my hard drives.

Remove the "Cylinder Clip" jumper.

What make / model 120G drive is it?

> I'm running XPwith a P4 1.7mhz processor on an ASUS P4S522 motherboard.
> 512mb ram.

RwP

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"Nick Heaps" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_a7Sc.12378$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Thanks for the info.
>
> This is a new drive and my computer, when booted from a startup disk the
> fdisk only recognizes 32mb. The drive is not formated yet.

How much does the BIOS see?

And "FDISK"? If you're running XP, why FDISK? Why not let the OS
install itself?

Or why not use Disk Management from inside XP if it's not a new
install of XP being put on?

RwP