Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > faded icons

Reply
Thread Tools

faded icons

 
 
Colin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2004
My icons in 'quick launch' have changed. They seem faded and look like a
printed page when it is running out of ink. The icons next to the clock are
fine as is the 'start' at the lower left of the screen. Clicking 'start'
and looking at the headings for program, favorites etc are good, but then
pointing to 'programs' which shows all my programs, it is these icons which
are faded and pale looking.





 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Parko
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2004
On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 08:59:14 +0000, Colin wrote:

> My icons in 'quick launch' have changed. They seem faded and look like a
> printed page when it is running out of ink. The icons next to the clock are
> fine as is the 'start' at the lower left of the screen. Clicking 'start'
> and looking at the headings for program, favorites etc are good, but then
> pointing to 'programs' which shows all my programs, it is these icons which
> are faded and pale looking.


Better take them to Ibiza then.
--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345
And now for something completely different...
http://www.maui-info.com/mauibabe.html

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
geopelia
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2004

"Parko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 08:59:14 +0000, Colin wrote:
>
> > My icons in 'quick launch' have changed. They seem faded and look like

a
> > printed page when it is running out of ink. The icons next to the clock

are
> > fine as is the 'start' at the lower left of the screen. Clicking

'start'
> > and looking at the headings for program, favorites etc are good, but

then
> > pointing to 'programs' which shows all my programs, it is these icons

which
> > are faded and pale looking.

>
> Better take them to Ibiza then.
> --
> Parko
> Registered Linux User #339345
> And now for something completely different...
> http://www.maui-info.com/mauibabe.html
>


Some of mine often just show as a blank white blob, or disappear entirely.
If I hold the mouse on them (or where they should be) they work just as well
as if they were showing.
Geopelia


 
Reply With Quote
 
Parko
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2004
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 00:10:45 +1200, geopelia wrote:

>
> "Parko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 08:59:14 +0000, Colin wrote:
>>
>> > My icons in 'quick launch' have changed. They seem faded and look like

> a
>> > printed page when it is running out of ink. The icons next to the clock

> are
>> > fine as is the 'start' at the lower left of the screen. Clicking

> 'start'
>> > and looking at the headings for program, favorites etc are good, but

> then
>> > pointing to 'programs' which shows all my programs, it is these icons

> which
>> > are faded and pale looking.

>>
>> Better take them to Ibiza then.
>> --
>> Parko
>> Registered Linux User #339345
>> And now for something completely different...
>> http://www.maui-info.com/mauibabe.html
>>

>
> Some of mine often just show as a blank white blob, or disappear entirely.
> If I hold the mouse on them (or where they should be) they work just as well
> as if they were showing.
> Geopelia


Don't worry, this is a new security feature of Windows. If a Trojan,
Virus, or cracker can' see your icons to click them (from inside your
screen), they can't do anything. Now have a Bex and a good lie down.

--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345
And now for something completely different...the ultimate BSOD.
http://www.boners.com/grub/791115.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2004
Boot into Safe Mode and back again. This will clear
your icon cache, and should cure the problem. If
that doesn't work, use the 'Repair icons' option of
TweakUI.
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/tweakui


On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 08:59:14 GMT, in
<C70Sc.69039$gE.48419@pd7tw3no>
Colin scrawled:

>My icons in 'quick launch' have changed. They seem faded and look like a
>printed page when it is running out of ink. The icons next to the clock are
>fine as is the 'start' at the lower left of the screen. Clicking 'start'
>and looking at the headings for program, favorites etc are good, but then
>pointing to 'programs' which shows all my programs, it is these icons which
>are faded and pale looking.
>


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Colin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2004
Thanks, Mike. I rebooted in safe mode and then rebooted in normal and
that solved it.
Thanks for taking the time to help me out. Colin

---------------------------------
"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Boot into Safe Mode and back again. This will clear
> your icon cache, and should cure the problem. If
> that doesn't work, use the 'Repair icons' option of
> TweakUI.
> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/tweakui
>
>
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 08:59:14 GMT, in
> <C70Sc.69039$gE.48419@pd7tw3no>
> Colin scrawled:
>
> >My icons in 'quick launch' have changed. They seem faded and look like a
> >printed page when it is running out of ink. The icons next to the clock

are
> >fine as is the 'start' at the lower left of the screen. Clicking 'start'
> >and looking at the headings for program, favorites etc are good, but then
> >pointing to 'programs' which shows all my programs, it is these icons

which
> >are faded and pale looking.
> >

>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance
> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html



 
Reply With Quote
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2004
You're welcome.


On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:41:45 GMT, in
<tibSc.68966$M95.19568@pd7tw1no>
Colin scrawled:

>Thanks, Mike. I rebooted in safe mode and then rebooted
>in normal and that solved it.
>Thanks for taking the time to help me out. Colin
>
>---------------------------------
>"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Boot into Safe Mode and back again. This will clear
>> your icon cache, and should cure the problem. If
>> that doesn't work, use the 'Repair icons' option of
>> TweakUI.
>> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/tweakui
>>
>>
>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 08:59:14 GMT, in
>> <C70Sc.69039$gE.48419@pd7tw3no>
>> Colin scrawled:
>>
>> >My icons in 'quick launch' have changed. They seem faded
>> >and look like a printed page when it is running out of ink.
>> >The icons next to the clock are fine as is the 'start' at the
>> >lower left of the screen. Clicking 'start' and looking at the
>> >headings for program, favorites etc are good, but then
>> >pointing to 'programs' which shows all my programs, it is
>> >these icons which are faded and pale looking.
>> >

>>

>


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
geopelia
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2004

"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Boot into Safe Mode and back again. This will clear
> your icon cache, and should cure the problem. If
> that doesn't work, use the 'Repair icons' option of
> TweakUI.
> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/tweakui
>

I'll try that, thank you.
My icon for the Internet disappeared off the desk top. No idea why. The
helpful person at my ISP told me to try Start - Programs and drag it off to
the desktop. Now why didn't I think of that! Still very dumb, aren't I?
Geopelia

> >

>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance
> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html



 
Reply With Quote
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2004
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:52:04 +1200, in
<%lbSc.11653$(E-Mail Removed)>
geopelia scrawled:

>
>"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Boot into Safe Mode and back again. This will clear
>> your icon cache, and should cure the problem. If
>> that doesn't work, use the 'Repair icons' option of
>> TweakUI.
>> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/tweakui
>>

>I'll try that, thank you.
>My icon for the Internet disappeared off the desk top.
>No idea why. The helpful person at my ISP told me to
>try Start - Programs and drag it off to the desktop. Now
>why didn't I think of that! Still very dumb, aren't I?
>Geopelia


The advice I gave to the OP was for a different problem.
It won't work to restore your "Internet" icon. What you
need to do is to open the Control Panel and double click
on Internet Options. In the 'Advanced' tab, check the
option 'Show Internet Explorer on the Desktop'. You
can also do this from TweakUI, above.

--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
geopelia
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-11-2004

"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:52:04 +1200, in
> <%lbSc.11653$(E-Mail Removed)>
> geopelia scrawled:
>
> >
> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Boot into Safe Mode and back again. This will clear
> >> your icon cache, and should cure the problem. If
> >> that doesn't work, use the 'Repair icons' option of
> >> TweakUI.
> >> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/tweakui
> >>

> >I'll try that, thank you.
> >My icon for the Internet disappeared off the desk top.
> >No idea why. The helpful person at my ISP told me to
> >try Start - Programs and drag it off to the desktop. Now
> >why didn't I think of that! Still very dumb, aren't I?
> >Geopelia

>
> The advice I gave to the OP was for a different problem.
> It won't work to restore your "Internet" icon. What you
> need to do is to open the Control Panel and double click
> on Internet Options. In the 'Advanced' tab, check the
> option 'Show Internet Explorer on the Desktop'. You
> can also do this from TweakUI, above.
>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance
> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html


Thank you. I hadn't lost the program, the icon was just not showing.
Dragging it from programs worked. I've copied it too, in case it gets lost
again.

What I was able to do was click on an unrelated website that came in an
email, and get into Google from there.

I'll keep your advice in case I need it. It's much appreciated how you take
the time to sort out everyone's problems.

Geopelia







 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faded icons Bent Wing Computer Support 2 01-20-2008 01:27 AM
Processing old faded slides m Ransley Digital Photography 5 10-02-2006 04:51 AM
Slightly OT: Restoring faded prints Ricky Rudolph Digital Photography 6 07-04-2006 11:04 PM
dimage 5400 and faded slides mitcheroo Digital Photography 5 06-09-2005 07:48 AM
Bad OCR results from faded typing Jim Beaver Computer Support 6 03-26-2005 11:27 PM



Advertisments