Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Problem with thumbnail pics

Problem with thumbnail pics

Tight Guard Security

I seem to have come stuck on this one guys. I was hoping someone could help
me out it only started to happen recently, I did all the others pics with
no problem.
It keeps showing a 404 error when you click on the 1st pink picture and
also the complete second row of pictures.

http://www.btinternet.com/~caralarms/bouquets.htm

TIA
Tracey

why?

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 19:39:40 +0000 (UTC), Tight Guard Security wrote:

As per subject the thumbnails all appear okay, it's the linked pictures
that follow that are a problem.

>I seem to have come stuck on this one guys. I was hoping someone could help
>me out it only started to happen recently, I did all the others pics with
>no problem.
> It keeps showing a 404 error when you click on the 1st pink picture and

So the 1st pink picture is really which one?
The 1st row, 1st picture, under a heading WS24a and the picture name is
wc24.
http://www.btinternet.com/~caralarms/wc24apink.jpg
fails, while the thumbnail is
http://www.btinternet.com/~caralarms...pink_small.jpg
which is okay.

Do the files really exist at the locations specified?

Did you upload the pictures in Binary mode (if using FTP) or via which
different method.

The server (which is UNIX basedand using Apache) is case sensitive, so
on a Windows OS

( HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 20:22:10 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.29 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.8.16 OpenSSL/0.9.7d
mod_fastcgi/2.4.2
Last-Modified: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 19:32:11 GMT )

based PC wc24apink.jpg is the same as Wc24aPink.jpg , on a non-Windows
OS it's not the same file.

To make life easier your picture file names should all be lower case and
the HTML links use lower case as well.

There is also a lot of crap and useless HTML in there, but then again
it's - Microsoft FrontPage 5.0 getting rid of 60% HTML in this case
which is useless always makes it easier to see problems.

Using '_' for divisions, using ' ' spaces to space things out, no use of
entity characters to represent currency symbols, fixed heights/widths,
poor use of fixed font size, 1 font selection no alternatives (last 2
repeated many times, makes the incorrectly defined sytles at the top a
waste of space) , font COLOR, font in h1 style
font-family:"Calligraph421 BT"; so where do I get this font to see how
you intended to display the text.

Validator,
Address: http://www.btinternet.com/~caralarms/bouquets.htm
Encoding: windows-1252
Doctype: HTML 4.01 Transitional
Errors: 85

>also the complete second row of pictures.
>
>http://www.btinternet.com/~caralarms/bouquets.htm

Tight Guard Security - caralarms again...... trying something new.

Me

°Mike°

Are the files uploaded to the correct directory?
Have you considered using something other
than FrontPage crap?

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 19:39:40 +0000 (UTC), in
<cf8jtr$ild$(E-Mail Removed)>
Tight Guard Security scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Tight Guard Security

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are the files uploaded to the correct directory?
> Have you considered using something other
> than FrontPage crap?

I have been happy for sometime using frontpage with no problem as of now.
I did have problems with BT as it changed the server to ftp btopenworld from
ftp btinternet nly a few days ago.

°Mike°

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 20:45:44 +0000 (UTC), in
<cf8npl$p0b$(E-Mail Removed)>
Tight Guard Security scrawled:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Are the files uploaded to the correct directory?
>> Have you considered using something other
>> than FrontPage crap?

>I have been happy for sometime using frontpage with no problem as of now.

A major problem with FrontPage, is that it created crap
code.

>I did have problems with BT as it changed the server to ftp btopenworld from
>ftp btinternet nly a few days ago.

This wouldn't explain how the other images are accessible,
but the one's you mention are 404; and you didn't answer
my question about the correct directory.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Tight Guard Security

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 19:39:40 +0000 (UTC), Tight Guard Security wrote:
>
> As per subject the thumbnails all appear okay, it's the linked pictures
> that follow that are a problem.

Yes thats correct

> >I seem to have come stuck on this one guys. I was hoping someone could

help
> >me out it only started to happen recently, I did all the others pics with
> >no problem.
> > It keeps showing a 404 error when you click on the 1st pink picture and

> So the 1st pink picture is really which one?
> The 1st row, 1st picture, under a heading WS24a and the picture name is
> wc24.
> http://www.btinternet.com/~caralarms/wc24apink.jpg
> fails, while the thumbnail is
> http://www.btinternet.com/~caralarms...pink_small.jpg
> which is okay.
>
> Do the files really exist at the locations specified?

No they still show 404
> Did you upload the pictures in Binary mode (if using FTP) or via which
> different method.

Sorry bit lost now ftp terrapin if that helps.

> The server (which is UNIX basedand using Apache) is case sensitive, so
> on a Windows OS
>
> ( HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 20:22:10 GMT
> Server: Apache/1.3.29 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.8.16 OpenSSL/0.9.7d
> mod_fastcgi/2.4.2
> Last-Modified: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 19:32:11 GMT )
>

> based PC wc24apink.jpg is the same as Wc24aPink.jpg , on a non-Windows
> OS it's not the same file.

Now I can see where its got a capital W

> To make life easier your picture file names should all be lower case and
> the HTML links use lower case as well.

Yep ok will do that from now on.

> There is also a lot of crap and useless HTML in there, but then again
> it's - Microsoft FrontPage 5.0 getting rid of 60% HTML in this case
> which is useless always makes it easier to see problems.
> Using '_' for divisions, using ' ' spaces to space things out, no use of
> entity characters to represent currency symbols, fixed heights/widths,
> poor use of fixed font size, 1 font selection no alternatives (last 2
> repeated many times, makes the incorrectly defined sytles at the top a
> waste of space) , font COLOR, font in h1 style
> font-family:"Calligraph421 BT"; so where do I get this font to see how
> you intended to display the text.

Yes when I first started uploading I use to make that mistake, I belive i
was careful,

> Validator,
> Address: http://www.btinternet.com/~caralarms/bouquets.htm
> Encoding: windows-1252
> Doctype: HTML 4.01 Transitional
> Errors: 85
>

> >also the complete second row of pictures.
> >
> >http://www.btinternet.com/~caralarms/bouquets.htm

> Tight Guard Security - caralarms again...... trying something new.

Sorry its my site my brothers is now still doing the car alarms
www.carsecurity1.co.uk

Many thanks for your time

Tight Guard Security

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 20:45:44 +0000 (UTC), in
> <cf8npl$p0b$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Tight Guard Security scrawled:
>

> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Are the files uploaded to the correct directory?
> >> Have you considered using something other
> >> than FrontPage crap?

> >I have been happy for sometime using frontpage with no problem as of now.

> A major problem with FrontPage, is that it created crap
> code.
>
> >I did have problems with BT as it changed the server to ftp btopenworld

from
> >ftp btinternet nly a few days ago.

> This wouldn't explain how the other images are accessible,
> but the one's you mention are 404; and you didn't answer
> my question about the correct directory.

I dont know which other directory there is for bt I use the public one which
is btopenworld and not the geocity one or btinternet
Thanks Mike for your patience. Dumb blonde I guess

°Mike°

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 21:09:32 +0000 (UTC), in
<cf8p6b$mg$(E-Mail Removed)>
Tight Guard Security scrawled:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 20:45:44 +0000 (UTC), in
>> <cf8npl$p0b$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Tight Guard Security scrawled:
>>

>> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> >I have been happy for sometime using frontpage with no problem as of now.

>> A major problem with FrontPage, is that it created crap
>> code.
>>
>> >I did have problems with BT as it changed the server to ftp btopenworld

>from
>> >ftp btinternet nly a few days ago.

>> This wouldn't explain how the other images are accessible,
>> but the one's you mention are 404; and you didn't answer
>> my question about the correct directory.

>I dont know which other directory there is for bt I use the public one which
>is btopenworld and not the geocity one or btinternet
>Thanks Mike for your patience. Dumb blonde I guess

There is no difference; they are exactly the same address:

whois -h whois.geektools.com ftp.btinternet.com
217.135.237.45

whois -h whois.geektools.com ftp.btopenworld.com
217.135.237.45

What I meant was, have you checked yourself, that
the files actually have been uploaded, and the filenames
are correct?

--
Basic computer maintenance

Blinky the Shark

Tight Guard Security wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Are the files uploaded to the correct directory?
>> Have you considered using something other
>> than FrontPage crap?

> I have been happy for sometime using frontpage with no problem as of now.
> I did have problems with BT as it changed the server to ftp btopenworld from
> ftp btinternet nly a few days ago.

If you still have no success, here, you might want to take your issue to
alt.html. There are some very good heads there.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

An Important Health Reminder http://snipurl.com/healthyshark

Tight Guard Security

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 21:09:32 +0000 (UTC), in
> <cf8p6b$mg$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Tight Guard Security scrawled:
>

> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 20:45:44 +0000 (UTC), in
> >> <cf8npl$p0b$(E-Mail Removed)>
> >> Tight Guard Security scrawled:

now.

> >> A major problem with FrontPage, is that it created crap
> >> code.

btopenworld
> >from
> >>
> >> This wouldn't explain how the other images are accessible,
> >> but the one's you mention are 404; and you didn't answer
> >> my question about the correct directory.

> >I dont know which other directory there is for bt I use the public one

which
> >is btopenworld and not the geocity one or btinternet
> >Thanks Mike for your patience. Dumb blonde I guess

> There is no difference; they are exactly the same address:
>
> whois -h whois.geektools.com ftp.btinternet.com
> 217.135.237.45
>
> whois -h whois.geektools.com ftp.btopenworld.com
> 217.135.237.45
>
> What I meant was, have you checked yourself, that
> the files actually have been uploaded, and the filenames
> are correct?

Yes it says susefully loaded and it gives a roar sound using Terrapin.
Thanks any way Mke & all.