Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > how to backup 30GB MP3s to DVDs

how to backup 30GB MP3s to DVDs

WCH

I've got about 5000 MP3 files on a hard drive. Looks like about 30gigs
worth. I'd like to back them up onto DVDs for safe keeping. I know there's
software that can convert them into PROPRIETARY files, but is there software
that will just dump them onto as many DVDs as it takes and keep the contents
readable as MP3 files if I insert them in another computer? Ideally this
software would automate the process so it'd fill one DVD then ask for the
next one and know where it left off. Does this exist?
WC

°Mike°

Just burn them as data disks, using whatever backup/
burning software that you use -- even Windows XP
can do it for you ("Open Writable CD Folder").

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 17:49:23 GMT, in
<DOORc.274968$Oq2.249614@attbi_s52>
WCH scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

WCH

Yeah, I can make that work, but I was hoping to automate the process with
some "disk-spanning" software or something so I can just drop the whole 30GB
music folder into the utility and it'll "do the match" and prompt for every
new DVD. Making data DVDs, so far as I can tell, means making every 4.xGB
file group yourself and tracking what's been done and what's left. Not hard
to do, but inartful.
WC

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just burn them as data disks, using whatever backup/
> burning software that you use -- even Windows XP
> can do it for you ("Open Writable CD Folder").
>

> On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 17:49:23 GMT, in
> <DOORc.274968$Oq2.249614@attbi_s52>
> WCH scrawled:
>
> >I've got about 5000 MP3 files on a hard drive. Looks like about 30gigs
> >worth. I'd like to back them up onto DVDs for safe keeping. I know

there's
> >software that can convert them into PROPRIETARY files, but is there

software
> >that will just dump them onto as many DVDs as it takes and keep the

contents
> >readable as MP3 files if I insert them in another computer? Ideally this
> >software would automate the process so it'd fill one DVD then ask for the
> >next one and know where it left off. Does this exist?
> >WC
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

A quick look on Google brings up this (first hit):
http://www.handybackup.net/backup-to-cd.shtml

I haven't used it, so don't know how effective it is.

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 18:25:50 GMT, in
<OkPRc.276577$XM6.170003@attbi_s53>
WCH scrawled:

>Yeah, I can make that work, but I was hoping to automate the process with
>some "disk-spanning" software or something so I can just drop the whole 30GB
>music folder into the utility and it'll "do the match" and prompt for every
>new DVD. Making data DVDs, so far as I can tell, means making every 4.xGB
>file group yourself and tracking what's been done and what's left. Not hard
>to do, but inartful.
>WC

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

WCH

Thanks for the lead. HandyBackup, like comparable products, generates
proprietary backup files that require its software to be installed on any
computer that you want to be able to read its backups. That's why I'm
looking for something that generates "plain" files, to avoid that obstacle.
But I gave up and just started using Nero to fill each DVD one at a time,
manually tracking what's been backup and what hasn't. I get the plain MP3
files but forego the automatic disk spanning. Life is compromise.
WC

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> A quick look on Google brings up this (first hit):
> http://www.handybackup.net/backup-to-cd.shtml
>
> I haven't used it, so don't know how effective it is.
>

> On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 18:25:50 GMT, in
> <OkPRc.276577$XM6.170003@attbi_s53>
> WCH scrawled:
>
> >Yeah, I can make that work, but I was hoping to automate the process with
> >some "disk-spanning" software or something so I can just drop the whole

30GB
> >music folder into the utility and it'll "do the match" and prompt for

every
> >new DVD. Making data DVDs, so far as I can tell, means making every

4.xGB
> >file group yourself and tracking what's been done and what's left. Not

hard
> >to do, but inartful.
> >WC

> <snip>
>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

Perhaps it's a lesson to back up your files *before*
the number grows so large?

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 19:21:48 GMT, in
<g9QRc.119272$eM2.42089@attbi_s51>
WCH scrawled:

>Thanks for the lead. HandyBackup, like comparable products, generates
>proprietary backup files that require its software to be installed on any
>computer that you want to be able to read its backups. That's why I'm
>looking for something that generates "plain" files, to avoid that obstacle.
>But I gave up and just started using Nero to fill each DVD one at a time,
>manually tracking what's been backup and what hasn't. I get the plain MP3
>files but forego the automatic disk spanning. Life is compromise.
>WC

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

127.0.0.1

"WCH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsOORc.274968$Oq2.249614@attbi_s52...
> I've got about 5000 MP3 files on a hard drive. Looks like about 30gigs
> worth. I'd like to back them up onto DVDs for safe keeping. I know

there's
> software that can convert them into PROPRIETARY files, but is there

software
> that will just dump them onto as many DVDs as it takes and keep the

contents
> readable as MP3 files if I insert them in another computer? Ideally this
> software would automate the process so it'd fill one DVD then ask for the
> next one and know where it left off. Does this exist?
> WC

if you don't mind learning vbs and autoit, you can write a simple script to
read the dir and automate the burn process with autoit. i'm in the middle of
archiving photos, so you will have to "google" autoit and vbs for dummies.

-a|ex