Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Trouble booting XP Pro (after accidental electrical unplug)

Trouble booting XP Pro (after accidental electrical unplug)

Yenc@power-post.org

Electrical cord got accidentally unplugged while my XP Pro with SP1
was running.

Now, upon reboot, XP only gets half way through the proverbial "blue
dots" on the startup screen then just stops.

However, I can in fact boot up under Safe Mode, and better yet, under
"Directory Services Restore Mode" options from the F8 menu, everything
looks almost the same as original again.

What seems wrong, and how could I trouble shoot this?

°Mike°

At startup, press the F8 key and choose last known
good configuration.

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 11:51:29 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Yenc@power-post.org

OK, chose "last known good config". It worked. So, I then told XP to
Restart, to see if it would come up under its own as a totally normal
bootup.

And again, it did. Problem solved? Well not quite, not yet.

Now that I am able to boot normally once again, I now have the ability
to use diagnostic utilities once again. So I ran both Norton and
Windows version of Scandisk for XP, and both are giving me this
strange error as to why they cant either scan, or fix the drive.

Norton returns this screen when attempting to run Disk Doctor, which,
always worked perfectly for me before this ordeal:
http://www.westol.com/~reid/norton.jpg

And like wise, Windows returns an almost similar error when attempting
to run its version of Scandisk:
http://www.westol.com/~reid/wind.jpg
http://www.westol.com/~reid/wind1.jpg

What ever problem these error messages point to, is probably my
initial problem to begin with.

Any help?

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 19:01:35 +0100, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>At startup, press the F8 key and choose last known
>good configuration.
>

>On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 11:51:29 GMT, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> (E-Mail Removed) scrawled:
>
>>Electrical cord got accidentally unplugged while my XP Pro with SP1
>>was running.
>>
>>Now, upon reboot, XP only gets half way through the proverbial "blue
>>dots" on the startup screen then just stops.
>>
>>However, I can in fact boot up under Safe Mode, and better yet, under
>>"Directory Services Restore Mode" options from the F8 menu, everything
>>looks almost the same as original again.
>>
>>What seems wrong, and how could I trouble shoot this?

°Mike°

That error just means that you are trying to "fix"
the drive that your operating system is on; just
press to accept to schedule the diagnostics for
bootup time.

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 18:34:04 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
(E-Mail Removed) scrawled:

>OK, chose "last known good config". It worked. So, I then told XP to
>Restart, to see if it would come up under its own as a totally normal
>bootup.
>
>And again, it did. Problem solved? Well not quite, not yet.
>
>Now that I am able to boot normally once again, I now have the ability
>to use diagnostic utilities once again. So I ran both Norton and
>Windows version of Scandisk for XP, and both are giving me this
>strange error as to why they cant either scan, or fix the drive.
>
>Norton returns this screen when attempting to run Disk Doctor, which,
>always worked perfectly for me before this ordeal:
>http://www.westol.com/~reid/norton.jpg
>
>And like wise, Windows returns an almost similar error when attempting
>to run its version of Scandisk:
>http://www.westol.com/~reid/wind.jpg
>http://www.westol.com/~reid/wind1.jpg
>
>What ever problem these error messages point to, is probably my
>initial problem to begin with.
>
>Any help?

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Yenc@power-post.org

Strangely enough, at least at this point, everything seems ok again,
for now.

Thanks Mike

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 20:10:34 +0100, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>That error just means that you are trying to "fix"
>the drive that your operating system is on; just
>press to accept to schedule the diagnostics for
>bootup time.
>

>On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 18:34:04 GMT, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> (E-Mail Removed) scrawled:
>
>>OK, chose "last known good config". It worked. So, I then told XP to
>>Restart, to see if it would come up under its own as a totally normal
>>bootup.
>>
>>And again, it did. Problem solved? Well not quite, not yet.
>>
>>Now that I am able to boot normally once again, I now have the ability
>>to use diagnostic utilities once again. So I ran both Norton and
>>Windows version of Scandisk for XP, and both are giving me this
>>strange error as to why they cant either scan, or fix the drive.
>>
>>Norton returns this screen when attempting to run Disk Doctor, which,
>>always worked perfectly for me before this ordeal:
>>http://www.westol.com/~reid/norton.jpg
>>
>>And like wise, Windows returns an almost similar error when attempting
>>to run its version of Scandisk:
>>http://www.westol.com/~reid/wind.jpg
>>http://www.westol.com/~reid/wind1.jpg
>>
>>What ever problem these error messages point to, is probably my
>>initial problem to begin with.
>>
>>Any help?
>>

><snip>

°Mike°

You're welcome.

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:29:43 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
(E-Mail Removed) scrawled:

>Strangely enough, at least at this point, everything seems ok again,
>for now.
>
>Thanks Mike
>

>On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 20:10:34 +0100, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>That error just means that you are trying to "fix"
>>the drive that your operating system is on; just
>>press to accept to schedule the diagnostics for
>>bootup time.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance