Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > tesco.net

tesco.net

TERESA HALINIAK

Help

I have just subscribed to tesco.net anytime, after I have clicked the
connect button, and I am connected nothing happens. I do not get an
internet screen. What am I doing wrong.

Also how do I know that I am connected to tesco.net and not still paying
connection charges to BT.

Also I want to use Microsoft outlook for emails, how do I change to
Tesco.net, I used to be with Freeserve.

Sorry if my queries sound stupid but I seem to have made a complete and
utter mess of my computer.

Hope to hear from you soon and I would thank you in anticipation of any help
from you.

Yours sincerely

Teresa

ron

"TERESA HALINIAK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LfIRc.603$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Help
>
> I have just subscribed to tesco.net anytime, after I have clicked the
> connect button, and I am connected nothing happens. I do not get an
> internet screen. What am I doing wrong.
>
> Also how do I know that I am connected to tesco.net and not still paying
> connection charges to BT.
>
> Also I want to use Microsoft outlook for emails, how do I change to
> Tesco.net, I used to be with Freeserve.
>
> Sorry if my queries sound stupid but I seem to have made a complete and
> utter mess of my computer.
>
> Hope to hear from you soon and I would thank you in anticipation of any

help
> from you.
>
> Yours sincerely
>

> Teresa

Check the phone number in dial up network to see if it is the correct number

Gary G. Taylor

TERESA HALINIAK wrote:

> Help
>
> I have just subscribed to tesco.net anytime, after I have clicked the
> connect button, and I am connected nothing happens. I do not get an
> internet screen. What am I doing wrong.

If you are not using AOL (are you a former AOL user, by any chance?) you
don't get an "Internet screen"; there is no such thing. You may see an icon
in your system tray (lower right, next to the clock) that looks like a
couple of computer monitors with their faces in green, which blink
intermittently. That means you are connected.

Meanwhile, you have succeeded in posting to this newsgroup, so (assuming you
are using the same computer) you are evidently connected to the Internet.
Do any other Internet-related programs work? Can you browse to a web site
using Internet Explorer, for example?

> Also how do I know that I am connected to tesco.net and not still paying
> connection charges to BT.

Look at the headers of this messsage. Your posting seems to have come from
ntl (are they the same?), although you have changed your email address in
Outlook--that's a start. You need to go to tesco's web site and verify the
right connection number (see below).

> Also I want to use Microsoft outlook for emails, how do I change to
> Tesco.net, I used to be with Freeserve.

Call Tesco and ask them how to change the settings. Or, better, use
http://www.google.com to find their web site and look for the instructions
there.

> Sorry if my queries sound stupid but I seem to have made a complete and
> utter mess of my computer.

I think your computer is operating quite well; it's the software between the
ears that needs a little work.

> Hope to hear from you soon and I would thank you in anticipation of any
> help from you.

You're welcome. And this is NOT tesco.net's news group; it is an
international news group that is unaffiliated with any ISP.
--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

John

"Gary G. Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tbeSc.71$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I think your computer is operating quite well; it's the software between

the
> ears that needs a little work.
>
> > Hope to hear from you soon and I would thank you in anticipation of any
> > help from you.

> You're welcome. And this is NOT tesco.net's news group; it is an
> international news group that is unaffiliated with any ISP.
> --
> Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
> gary at donavan dot org / http:// geetee dot donavan dot org
> "The two most abundant things in the universe
> are hydrogen and stupidity." --Harlan Ellison

And you are trying your best to change that to hydrogen and rudeness.

Teresa is clearly someone with a problem and little computer knowledge. That
doesn't mean Teresa is stupid. For all you know she could be a genius in her
field.

To Teresa.

If you have not sorted it yet then run Iexplorer and click on tools and
select internet options, then select the connections tab in the white
rectangle you will see the dial up connections. One of those will be called
Tesco so select any others in there and click the delete button then you
will only have the Tesco dial information in there so it cannot dial anyone
else.

Paul - xxx

Gary G. Taylor vaguely muttered something like ...

> Look at the headers of this messsage. Your posting seems to have come from
> ntl (are they the same?)

FYI, and anyone else too, obviously ...

Tesco.net run off the back of the NTL servers. In effect they share the
same or similar hardware, software, and have (pretty obviously) similar
problems ..

Not least of which being the fact that the Tesco.net [1] internet software
cd's are sold right at the checkout, and the blurb that goes with them
suggests that anyone can be up and running on the internet with absolutely
no hassle. In many ways this can be true, providing the machine the
software is used on is sound. As is evident from the number of posst, and
through personal experience, many Tesco.net [2] and NTL customers are not
well versed with computing and as such often have other computer problems
that don't aid their internet experience, and aren't helped by the lack of
support from Tesco or NTL.[3]

[1] Tesco are a large Supermarket, more renowned for groceries rather than
Internet hosting, hence the tie-up with NTL, just a means of getting more
money really ..

[2] Note I say 'some' Tesco.net customers. I also use NTL, but do have a
modicum of knowledge. The Tesco.net off-shoot _should_ be a good tie-up,
and would be, if it weren't for NTL's basivc system and server problems.

[3] NTL expanded faster than even they presumed possible and help and
support inevitably suffered. ****-loads of newbie customers with little
clue and an ever-expanding network neally crippled NTL almost from day one.
They have, however, survived and I think they'll become much better. Their
packages have always been cost-effective, and they have a wide-range,
suitable for almost anyone. I have left them occasionally, but am back with
NTL again, and expect to cvontinue buying their internet access as long as I
can. I like 'em .. so long as you know they can't help you, you'll do OK ..

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks

John

"Paul - xxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gary G. Taylor vaguely muttered something like ...
>
> > Look at the headers of this messsage. Your posting seems to have come

from
> > ntl (are they the same?)

> FYI, and anyone else too, obviously ...
>
> Tesco.net run off the back of the NTL servers. In effect they share the
> same or similar hardware, software, and have (pretty obviously) similar
> problems ..
>
> Not least of which being the fact that the Tesco.net [1] internet

software
> cd's are sold right at the checkout, and the blurb that goes with them
> suggests that anyone can be up and running on the internet with absolutely
> no hassle. In many ways this can be true, providing the machine the
> software is used on is sound. As is evident from the number of posst, and
> through personal experience, many Tesco.net [2] and NTL customers are not
> well versed with computing and as such often have other computer problems
> that don't aid their internet experience, and aren't helped by the lack of
> support from Tesco or NTL.[3]
>
> [1] Tesco are a large Supermarket, more renowned for groceries rather than
> Internet hosting, hence the tie-up with NTL, just a means of getting more
> money really ..
>
> [2] Note I say 'some' Tesco.net customers. I also use NTL, but do have a
> modicum of knowledge. The Tesco.net off-shoot _should_ be a good tie-up,
> and would be, if it weren't for NTL's basivc system and server problems.
>
> [3] NTL expanded faster than even they presumed possible and help and
> support inevitably suffered. ****-loads of newbie customers with little
> clue and an ever-expanding network neally crippled NTL almost from day

one.
> They have, however, survived and I think they'll become much better.

Their
> packages have always been cost-effective, and they have a wide-range,
> suitable for almost anyone. I have left them occasionally, but am back

with
> NTL again, and expect to cvontinue buying their internet access as long as

> can. I like 'em .. so long as you know they can't help you, you'll do OK

> Paul ...

Well Paul, stay with NTL if you want to, but the cut staff, take on too many
customers. They stopped taking money when due from thousands of credit card
and direct debit accounts causing a debt to build up, then passed those
outstanding accounts to wescot debt collection company who sent out letters
demanding payment as if these customers had refused to pay. When wescot
realised what a mess NTL had made of it they dropped NTL and sent the
payment cheques they received back to the customers.

So if you insist on staying with NTL then make sure you keep proof of any
monies you pay them and when the service goes off line be prepared to pay 50
pence a minute so that some guy in India can tell you there is nothing
wrong.

Oh and what ever you do, do not try to contact them by email because even
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) sends back an auto reply saying it is no longer monitored.

After been treated the way they treated me, I will never go near NTL again.
If they took over an ISP I was using I would close the account right away.

Paul - xxx

John vaguely muttered something like ...

> Well Paul, stay with NTL if you want to, but the cut staff, take on too
> many customers.

Isn't that what I just said ?

> They stopped taking money when due from thousands of
> credit card and direct debit accounts causing a debt to build up, then
> passed those outstanding accounts to wescot debt collection company who
> sent out letters demanding payment as if these customers had refused to
> pay. When wescot realised what a mess NTL had made of it they dropped NTL
> and sent the payment cheques they received back to the customers.

'Selling' debts is a standard business practice ... and I believe, but can't
actually be arsed to check, that the Westcot affair is finished with now.

> So if you insist on staying with NTL then make sure you keep proof of any
> monies you pay them and when the service goes off line be prepared to pay
> 50 pence a minute so that some guy in India can tell you there is nothing
> wrong.

I have never needed to call them, and I never will, I guess. As I already
said, I know their help is outsourced, which again is common business, and
sound financial practice these days. Note I didn't say good business
practice.

I have a couple of other ISP's for 'standby' and have only needed them when
really desperate for internet access. As a home user, that's pretty nigh
never, or when I fancy trying something new ...

I also know what it takes to keep a network like NTL's up and running, and a
few days off-line for maintenance and upgrading a year is fine by me. If
you know where to look, and it's all on the NTL sites, they _do_ plan many
of their 'outages'. It's a pity more people didn't look at server status
pages, for instance, before shouting and screaming that NTL are crap ... If
the internet usage I have was what made my living I'd maybe go a different
way, but for a home user, their dial-up service, effectively free if you
take advantage of their phone calls, is most excellent.

> Oh and what ever you do, do not try to contact them by email because even
> (E-Mail Removed) sends back an auto reply saying it is no longer monitored.

I won't, see above ...

> After been treated the way they treated me, I will never go near NTL
> again. If they took over an ISP I was using I would close the account
> right away.

Your prerogative ..

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks

John

"Paul - xxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> John vaguely muttered something like ...

I did not mutter I typed and I was by no means vague.

snip

> 'Selling' debts is a standard business practice ... and I believe, but

can't
> actually be arsed to check, that the Westcot affair is finished with now.

Stopping taking payments and then accusing your customers of running up a
debt and risking getting them on Debters lists is common practice in your
eyes is it?

> I also know what it takes to keep a network like NTL's up and running,

That is more than the managegment at NTL know. Maybe you should get a job
with them.

> and a
> few days off-line for maintenance and upgrading a year is fine by me. If
> you know where to look, and it's all on the NTL sites, they _do_ plan many
> of their 'outages'. It's a pity more people didn't look at server status
> pages, for instance, before shouting and screaming that NTL are crap

I didn't try to contact them about a few outages. All ISP's get them from
time to time. I tried to contact them to point out they had not taken the
monthly payments.

I did not use the word crap.

>... If the internet usage I have was what made my living I'd maybe go a

different
> way, but for a home user, their dial-up service, effectively free if you
> take advantage of their phone calls, is most excellent.

It was until the freedom dialler. Are you saying you actually like the new
Freedom dialler? If so you have to be the only one. It was the freedom
dialer was the first downward step, but the debt collection farce was the
last straw.

> > Oh and what ever you do, do not try to contact them by email because

even
> > (E-Mail Removed) sends back an auto reply saying it is no longer

monitored.

> I won't, see above ...

Maybe you don't know what it takes to run NTL properly and you already work
for them.

Paul - xxx

John vaguely muttered something like ...
> "Paul - xxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> John vaguely muttered something like ...

> I did not mutter I typed and I was by no means vague.
>

> snip
>
>> 'Selling' debts is a standard business practice ... and I believe, but
>> can't actually be arsed to check, that the Westcot affair is finished
>> with now.

> Stopping taking payments and then accusing your customers of running up a
> debt and risking getting them on Debters lists is common practice in your
> eyes is it?

I didn't say that ..

>> ... If the internet usage I have was what made my living I'd maybe go a
>> different way, but for a home user, their dial-up service, effectively
>> free if you take advantage of their phone calls, is most excellent.

> It was until the freedom dialler. Are you saying you actually like the
> new Freedom dialler?

I didn't say that either .. and you don't need to log on using the dialler
... Read the NTL help pages ..

>> I won't, see above ...

> Maybe you don't know what it takes to run NTL properly and you already
> work for them.

Heheheh, nope, I'm nothing to do with them, other than being a satisfied
customer. From when they first when they installed cable (Well, when they
took over Diamond Cable) in Nottingham where I then lived, then as a dial-up
customer at a different location in Nottingham, and again as a dial-up
customer in Doncaster.

I look forward to the day when we get their broadband service installed ..

Heheheh, no sweat, I like 'em, you don't .. c'est la vie ..

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks

John

"Paul - xxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
snip
> I look forward to the day when we get their broadband service installed ..

I am on broadband with Pipex. If I have a query and I email them, they
answer the query.

I found it necessary to change the credit card account they should take the
money from. They had a secure page on their web site to do it, and they
confirmed the change had been actioned by email right away.

I get the impression my custom is valued, and the connection is excellent.

I have not needed the help line but it is not a high rate number.

OK Paul. I hope NTL don't mess up for you like they did me. Forgive me if I
don't look up anything on the NTL web site. It doesn't interest me as I and
5 of the 7 people I know have dumped NTL.

EOM