Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Best Backup Utility ?

Best Backup Utility ?

Martin Knight

I have been farting around for months looking for the perfect backup
program.

I thought I had found it with Powerquest's Datakeeper 5 but it misses files
in the backup process. It also renames the files so that you can only
restore through the program. Would be cool if you could dig into the backup
folder and take what you need. Also would like to have a program that
monitors the files and backs up what ever has changed; almost like a RAID
drive.

Any suggestions?

Unk

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 05:06:37 GMT, "Martin Knight" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have been farting around for months looking for the perfect backup
>program.
>
>I thought I had found it with Powerquest's Datakeeper 5 but it misses files
>in the backup process. It also renames the files so that you can only
>restore through the program. Would be cool if you could dig into the backup
>folder and take what you need. Also would like to have a program that
>monitors the files and backs up what ever has changed; almost like a RAID
>drive.
>
>Any suggestions?

I like Norton Ghost. The backup is bootable.

Martin Knight

Can it backup individual files and folders or does it just do an image onto
another drive?

"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 05:06:37 GMT, "Martin Knight"

<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >I have been farting around for months looking for the perfect backup
> >program.
> >
> >I thought I had found it with Powerquest's Datakeeper 5 but it misses

files
> >in the backup process. It also renames the files so that you can only
> >restore through the program. Would be cool if you could dig into the

backup
> >folder and take what you need. Also would like to have a program that
> >monitors the files and backs up what ever has changed; almost like a RAID
> >drive.
> >
> >Any suggestions?
> >

> I like Norton Ghost. The backup is bootable.

Edward W. Thompson

Does the recent versions of Ghost do incremantal backups like True
Image?

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 01:19:14 -0400, Unk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 05:06:37 GMT, "Martin Knight" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>I have been farting around for months looking for the perfect backup
>>program.
>>
>>I thought I had found it with Powerquest's Datakeeper 5 but it misses files
>>in the backup process. It also renames the files so that you can only
>>restore through the program. Would be cool if you could dig into the backup
>>folder and take what you need. Also would like to have a program that
>>monitors the files and backs up what ever has changed; almost like a RAID
>>drive.
>>
>>Any suggestions?
>>

>I like Norton Ghost. The backup is bootable.

Parko

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 06:22:07 +0000, Martin Knight wrote:

> Can it backup individual files and folders or does it just do an image onto
> another drive?

Partitions or drives only, no differential or incremental backups. You can
restore individual files and folders.

--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345

Ionizer

"Edward W. Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does the recent versions of Ghost do incremantal backups like True
> Image?

Not a direct answer to your question, but I have had this guide bookmarked
for a while now and it may help answer any questions you have about Ghost:
http://ghost.radified.com/

Regards,
Ian.

me6@privacy.net

>>>Any suggestions?

What abt Casper XP?

Does anyone know anything abt it?

see link

http://tinyurl.com/5wexl

Linda

If you fart consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to
create the energy of an atomic bomb.

--
Hmmm, they've got internet on computers now. - Homer Simpson
"Martin Knight" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsxiRc.43280$M95.31556@pd7tw1no...
> I have been farting around for months looking for the perfect backup
> program.
>
> I thought I had found it with Powerquest's Datakeeper 5 but it misses

files
> in the backup process. It also renames the files so that you can only
> restore through the program. Would be cool if you could dig into the

backup
> folder and take what you need. Also would like to have a program that
> monitors the files and backs up what ever has changed; almost like a RAID
> drive.
>
> Any suggestions?

Martin Knight

I deserve that one and should have seen it coming )

"Linda" <.@.> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you fart consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced

> create the energy of an atomic bomb.
>
> --
> Hmmm, they've got internet on computers now. - Homer Simpson
> "Martin Knight" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsxiRc.43280$M95.31556@pd7tw1no...
> > I have been farting around for months looking for the perfect backup
> > program.
> >
> > I thought I had found it with Powerquest's Datakeeper 5 but it misses

> files
> > in the backup process. It also renames the files so that you can only
> > restore through the program. Would be cool if you could dig into the

> backup
> > folder and take what you need. Also would like to have a program that
> > monitors the files and backs up what ever has changed; almost like a

RAID
> > drive.
> >
> > Any suggestions?

Martin Knight

Looks like it for making a bootable backup of your Windows XP system.
Nothing like Datakeeper which copies designated backup files to another
drive and monitor changes to the originals to keep the backup copies the
same as changes occur. Good in concept except Datakeeper doesn't work
accurately.

Martin

XP BackUp Utility Si Computer Support 2 09-20-2003 03:59 PM
XP Pro BackUp Utility - One More Question! Si Computer Support 0 09-18-2003 08:45 PM
XP Pro BackUp Utility - Another Question! Si Computer Support 0 09-18-2003 10:59 AM
XP Pro BackUp Utility Si Computer Support 3 09-17-2003 02:12 PM

Advertisments