Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Newsgroup help TIA

Newsgroup help TIA

SonicMonkey

Hello, first off I would like to thank whom ever responds for there
time and knowledge.

Well I'm not a new person to news groups and have been using them for
a few years now, but something has happened recently I can't figure
out what it is. I use binary groups to get files, but with in the last
day or so some file just won't download. I'm using Agent News reader
and haven't changed my settings in months, so I don't think it's that.
When I try to get a file it looks like it downloads and but a white
page ends up next to it instead of green. and there is no file in the
save directory. Now I can get files when I say save attachment, but
it's a crap shoot. If 1 post from the poster will not down load then
all of them will not, but if I try a post of a different poster they
sometimes work. Is there a new thing for news groups that I don't know
about, like ysync (i know about it)? Or could this have to do with my
news server?

Pennywise

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 01:38:33 GMT, SonicMonkey <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

|>I'm using Agent News reader
|>and haven't changed my settings in months, so I don't think it's that.
|>When I try to get a file it looks like it downloads and but a white
|>page ends up next to it instead of green. and there is no file in the
|>save directory.

Two things can cause this:

Out of hard drive space, or the save directory no longer exist.

See also
alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent

wrote:

|>I'm using Agent News reader
|>and haven't changed my settings in months, so I don't think it's that.
|>When I try to get a file it looks like it downloads and but a white
|>page ends up next to it instead of green. and there is no file in the
|>save directory.

Two things can cause this:

Out of hard drive space, or the save directory no longer exist.

I've assumed they aren't split files and you know how to join them
when they are.

See also
alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent

DC

SonicMonkey wrote:
> Hello, first off I would like to thank whom ever responds for there
> time and knowledge.

> Well I'm not a new person to news groups and have been using them for
> a few years now, but something has happened recently I can't figure
> out what it is. I use binary groups to get files, but with in the last
> day or so some file just won't download. I'm using Agent News reader
> and haven't changed my settings in months, so I don't think it's that.
> When I try to get a file it looks like it downloads and but a white
> page ends up next to it instead of green. and there is no file in the
> save directory. Now I can get files when I say save attachment, but
> it's a crap shoot. If 1 post from the poster will not down load then
> all of them will not, but if I try a post of a different poster they
> sometimes work. Is there a new thing for news groups that I don't know
> about, like ysync (i know about it)? Or could this have to do with my
> news server?

Check out some of the recent threads in news.software.readers. The
latest Zone Alarm update has wreaked havoc with Xnews ability to
download yEnc files. This might be another manifestation of this ZA
problem -- if you use ZA, of course.

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

SonicMonkey

Thanks, I tried shutting down ZA and looks like that's the problem.
wonder what the new ZA has done diffrent. Anyway, thanks

SonicMonkey wrote:
> On 7 Aug 2004 02:23:59 GMT, DC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>SonicMonkey wrote:

>>> Well I'm not a new person to news groups and have been using them for
>>> a few years now, but something has happened recently I can't figure
>>> out what it is. I use binary groups to get files, but with in the last
>>> day or so some file just won't download. I'm using Agent News reader

[...]

>>Check out some of the recent threads in news.software.readers. The
>>latest Zone Alarm update has wreaked havoc with Xnews ability to
>>download yEnc files. This might be another manifestation of this ZA
>>problem -- if you use ZA, of course.

> Thanks, I tried shutting down ZA and looks like that's the problem.
> wonder what the new ZA has done diffrent. Anyway, thanks

YW.

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Gary G. Taylor

DC wrote:

> Check out some of the recent threads in news.software.readers. The
> latest Zone Alarm update has wreaked havoc with Xnews ability to
> download yEnc files. This might be another manifestation of this ZA
> problem -- if you use ZA, of course.

It apparently pharks EVERY newsreader's ability to decode yEnc files; there
is a lot of discussion in the BNR2 forums (http://www.bnr2.org).
--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

Paul - xxx

Gary G. Taylor vaguely muttered something like ...
> DC wrote:
>
>> Check out some of the recent threads in news.software.readers. The
>> latest Zone Alarm update has wreaked havoc with Xnews ability to
>> download yEnc files. This might be another manifestation of this ZA
>> problem -- if you use ZA, of course.

> It apparently pharks EVERY newsreader's ability to decode yEnc files;
> there is a lot of discussion in the BNR2 forums (http://www.bnr2.org).

It's one of the reasons I _never_ just download the latest updates to
regularly used programs. I also _never_ have any program set to
automatically update itself ... I like to know that what I'm downloading is
of some use to me. Just 'cos it works for someone else doesn't mean it'll
suit me and what I use my computer for ...

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks