Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hard Drive Capacity

Hard Drive Capacity

atec

a real gig is 1024 , drive manufactures discovered that making a gig
1000 meg makes a drive bigger . then there is the shrink factor when
partitioning and formatting..

--

Galaxy

Hi

Anyone know the reason why an 80GB drive will
only show 76GB and a 10Gb is only showing its
capacity as about 8.3GB? All HD's never seem to
show their full capacity. I know other people experience
this but no one seems to know why it happens.... Anyone?

thanks

Alien Zord

"Galaxy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KqMQc.391$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone know the reason why an 80GB drive will
> only show 76GB and a 10Gb is only showing its
> capacity as about 8.3GB? All HD's never seem to
> show their full capacity. I know other people experience
> this but no one seems to know why it happens.... Anyone?

Because binary K is 1024,
binary M is 1024x1024=1 048 576
binary G is 1024^3=1 073 741 824

80 000 000 000 bytes is 80GB in decimal, 74.5GB in binary.
If you right-click on a drive in My Computer and click Properties you'll see
both decimal and binary values.

The fault lies with the person who first called 2^10=1024 bytes a 'kilobyte'
because its so close to 1000. Whoever it was should have been shot long time
ago!

Galaxy

Excellent replies!!

Thanks a lot.
"Alien Zord" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Galaxy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:KqMQc.391$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Anyone know the reason why an 80GB drive will
> > only show 76GB and a 10Gb is only showing its
> > capacity as about 8.3GB? All HD's never seem to
> > show their full capacity. I know other people experience
> > this but no one seems to know why it happens.... Anyone?
> >

> Because binary K is 1024,
> binary M is 1024x1024=1 048 576
> binary G is 1024^3=1 073 741 824
>
> 80 000 000 000 bytes is 80GB in decimal, 74.5GB in binary.
> If you right-click on a drive in My Computer and click Properties you'll

see
> both decimal and binary values.
>
> The fault lies with the person who first called 2^10=1024 bytes a

'kilobyte'
> because its so close to 1000. Whoever it was should have been shot long

time
> ago!

DC

atec wrote:
> a real gig is 1024 , drive manufactures discovered that making a gig
> 1000 meg makes a drive bigger . then there is the shrink factor when
> partitioning and formatting..

That's why I never format my drives in cold water.

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Blinky the Shark

DC wrote:

> atec wrote:

>> a real gig is 1024 , drive manufactures discovered that making a gig
>> 1000 meg makes a drive bigger . then there is the shrink factor when
>> partitioning and formatting..

> That's why I never format my drives in cold water.

That's how the floppy was invented.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

An Important Health Reminder http://snipurl.com/healthyshark

DC

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> DC wrote:

>> atec wrote:

>>> a real gig is 1024 , drive manufactures discovered that making a gig
>>> 1000 meg makes a drive bigger . then there is the shrink factor when
>>> partitioning and formatting..

>> That's why I never format my drives in cold water.

> That's how the floppy was invented.

I thought that was the thumb drive.

--

DC wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> DC wrote:

>>> That's why I never format my drives in cold water.

>> That's how the floppy was invented.

> I thought that was the thumb drive.

Ow. I use my Palm.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

An Important Health Reminder http://snipurl.com/healthyshark

Daniel Dravot

"Galaxy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KqMQc.391$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> Anyone know the reason why an 80GB drive will
> only show 76GB and a 10Gb is only showing its
> capacity as about 8.3GB? All HD's never seem to
> show their full capacity. I know other people experience
> this but no one seems to know why it happens.... Anyone?
>
> thanks

It was made by a Democrat and they tax you our of the box...

Dan'l.

Surok

"Galaxy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi
>
>Anyone know the reason why an 80GB drive will
>only show 76GB and a 10Gb is only showing its
>capacity as about 8.3GB? All HD's never seem to
>show their full capacity. I know other people experience
> this but no one seems to know why it happens.... Anyone?
>
>thanks

For that very same reason some people started calling a 1024 byte Kilobyte a
Kibibyte, aka Kib.
So...
1 KiB = 1024 B
1 KB = 1000 B

and so on. But not many people use this. Pity. Think of the chaos when we get
to YB and beyond!