Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Utterly confused - web, sql tables what to use for development?

Utterly confused - web, sql tables what to use for development?

RichGK

I've spent a whole day looking at various walkthroughs and searching for
books on amazon and it seems there isn't a simple answer for what I want to
do - which is a very simple task entirely (at least in php and mysql it is).

I've got and installed and fully configured, Visual Studio .net enterprise
edition.

All I want to do is re-write a simple Interdev web page in whatever it is
your supposed to use this month.

All the web page has to do is (using SQL 7 server)

1. list a record after a query, the parameters for the search are in a text
box before clicking the search button
2. Allow me to add new records to the tables

That's it!

Can anyone recommend what language to use for this, and also a good book for
utter .net beginners that would basically hold my hand every step of the way
from connecting to a sql database to listing a table and more importantly
(as I figured out the other two eventually) - adding a new record.

Thanks,
Rich.

SStory

I like VB.NET.

Also ASP.NET Unleashed is a pretty good book on ASP.NET. It doesn't tell
you much about doing things from the IDE, but is a good resource.

Basically you will need to use a data grid control in ASP.NET and it may be
complicated to learn to use them at first.

You will need a dataset of your data also.

I would suggest reading up on the subject on a book like ASP.NET and it will
answer many questions... once you've done that and tried it then come back
to the groups and we'll help you along.

It took me a while to get used to it also.

Shane
news:YPfCc.660$(E-Mail Removed)...