Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > office pro disc question

office pro disc question

sharonx9

I bought a new never opened Microsoft Office 2000 Professional Disc at a
thrift store. The disc says "For distribution with a new PC only." It
doesn't say it's an upgrade but on the back of the package it has a sticker
that says upgrade. I have Office 97 and was wondering if this will upgrade
or if it can be used as a full version. I dont' want to open it yet because
if I can't use it, I will sell it.

Now on to my question. Wouldn't the disc say upgrade on it if it is really
an upgrade? Since it was distributed with a new PC, can it be used on any
PC other than the original? Thanks for your help.

--
**
Sharon

Toolman Tim

"sharonx9" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
>| I bought a new never opened Microsoft Office 2000 Professional Disc
>| at a thrift store. The disc says "For distribution with a new PC
>| only." It doesn't say it's an upgrade but on the back of the
>| package it has a sticker that says upgrade. I have Office 97 and
>| was wondering if this will upgrade or if it can be used as a full
>| version. I dont' want to open it yet because if I can't use it, I
>| will sell it.
>|
>| Now on to my question. Wouldn't the disc say upgrade on it if it is
>| really an upgrade? Since it was distributed with a new PC, can it
>| be used on any PC other than the original? Thanks for your help.

If it really is a "For distribution with a new PC only", then it's an OEM
disk, it is a full version, and if you have the CD Key as well, then you can
install it either as an upgrade or by itself.

If it truly *is* an upgrade disk, as the other sticker says, then it will
upgrade also install it either as an upgrade or by itself. (To install it by
itself, you will be asked to insert your Office 97 disk to prove you have
one.)

It should install/run on any PC. The disk should have "Upgrade" on it if it
is an upgrade CD. Sometimes that is hard to see due to the holographic
nature of the Office CDs.

The biggest question would be whether or not you have the CD Key. It is
usually also on a label on the original package. If you don't have that,
then you won't be able to get it to install/run.

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

sharonx9

Hello, Toolman!
You wrote on Fri, 6 Aug 2004 17:46:15 -0700:

??>> | Now on to my question. Wouldn't the disc say upgrade on it if it is
??>> | really an upgrade? Since it was distributed with a new PC, can it
??>> | be used on any PC other than the original? Thanks for your help.
??>> |

TT> The biggest question would be whether or not you have the CD Key. It is
TT> usually also on a label on the original package. If you don't have
TT> that, then you won't be able to get it to install/run.

I do have the key with it. It is the CD in a jewel case and a manual with
the certificate of authenticity and the CD key on it. Here is a picture...
http://www.inheavenabove.com/office-disk.html

Thanks
Sharon

Toolman Tim

"sharonx9" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
>| Hello, Toolman!
>| You wrote on Fri, 6 Aug 2004 17:46:15 -0700:
>|

>| ??>> | Now on to my question. Wouldn't the disc say upgrade on it
>| ??>> | if it is really an upgrade? Since it was distributed with a
>| ??>> | new PC, can it be used on any PC other than the original?
>| ??>> | Thanks for your help.
>| ??>> |
>|
>| TT> The biggest question would be whether or not you have the CD
>| TT> Key. It is usually also on a label on the original package. If
>| TT> you don't have that, then you won't be able to get it to
>| TT> install/run.
>| TT>
>| I do have the key with it. It is the CD in a jewel case and a
>| manual with the certificate of authenticity and the CD key on it.
>| Here is a picture... http://www.inheavenabove.com/office-disk.html

Yep - that should do fine. Like you say, the "upgrade" sticker is a bit
confusing, but I think it's still an OEM. Go for it!

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~