Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > clocking computer

clocking computer

joevan

I ran prime 95 for 9 hours overnight using 100% of cpu usage with no
problems.
I just tried to up from 166 mhz to 200 and could not. Had to start in
safe mode. I guess something is not quite right.
Anyone know if it is possible?

Computer
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1)

Motherboard
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A, 1913 MHz (5.75 x 333)
Motherboard Name Asus A7N8X-X (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM, Audio,
LAN)
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce2 400
System Memory 512 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (02/03/04)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
Video Adapter ATI Radeon 9200 (RV280)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon 9200 (RV280)

Multimedia
Audio Adapter nVIDIA MCP2 - Audio Codec Interface

Storage
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive Maxtor 6 Y060M0 SCSI Disk Device (60 GB, 7200 RPM,
Serial-ATA/150)
Optical Drive SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352N

Partitions
C: (NTFS) 58643 MB (52517 MB free)

Input
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2
Keyboard
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Peripherals
Printer HP DeskJet 720C

ICee

joevan wrote:
> I ran prime 95 for 9 hours overnight using 100% of cpu usage with no
> problems.

Excellent. You now know that all the hardware is solid and it's ok to
try an overclock.

> I just tried to up from 166 mhz to 200 and could not. Had to start in
> safe mode. I guess something is not quite right.
> Anyone know if it is possible?

Good morning, joevan. First, you have PC2700 (166 MHz) memory, and it's
doubtful it will run at a memory buss speed of 200 MHz. You probably
will be able to bump the FSB/memory buss up over 166 MHz, but you will
likely have to increase the memory voltage and the CPU voltage.
First, increase the CPU core voltage to 1.75V: this should give it
enough to run at a faster speed. It will not hurt to leave it set at
that voltage as long as the CPU temp is reasonable.
It's best to do this in steps, so try 170 MHz and see how it runs. If
it's not stable, increase the memory voltage (Vdimm) by the smallest
increment, then try again. If it's not stable, increase Vdimm again by
the smallest increment, etc. If it's then stable at 170 MHz, try 175
MHz, etc.
The memory buss can be set to run at a different speed from the FSB, but
running asynchronously like that will not give you as much of a boost as
running them in sync (1:1).
Another tool that will help is Memtest86 [ www.memtest86.com ]. This
will determine if the memory is running without errors at the increased
speed. If it runs ok, then boot into Windows and run Prime95 to
determine if the system is stable. If not, then you may have to
increase the CPU voltage and/or the memory voltage again (incrementally)
till it is.

joevan

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 10:37:19 -0400, "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>joevan wrote:
>> I ran prime 95 for 9 hours overnight using 100% of cpu usage with no
>> problems.

>Excellent. You now know that all the hardware is solid and it's ok to
>try an overclock.
>
>> I just tried to up from 166 mhz to 200 and could not. Had to start in
>> safe mode. I guess something is not quite right.
>> Anyone know if it is possible?

>Good morning, joevan. First, you have PC2700 (166 MHz) memory, and it's
>doubtful it will run at a memory buss speed of 200 MHz. You probably
>will be able to bump the FSB/memory buss up over 166 MHz, but you will
>likely have to increase the memory voltage and the CPU voltage.
>First, increase the CPU core voltage to 1.75V: this should give it
>enough to run at a faster speed. It will not hurt to leave it set at
>that voltage as long as the CPU temp is reasonable.
>It's best to do this in steps, so try 170 MHz and see how it runs. If
>it's not stable, increase the memory voltage (Vdimm) by the smallest
>increment, then try again. If it's not stable, increase Vdimm again by
>the smallest increment, etc. If it's then stable at 170 MHz, try 175
>MHz, etc.
>The memory buss can be set to run at a different speed from the FSB, but
>running asynchronously like that will not give you as much of a boost as
>running them in sync (1:1).
>Another tool that will help is Memtest86 [ www.memtest86.com ]. This
>will determine if the memory is running without errors at the increased
>speed. If it runs ok, then boot into Windows and run Prime95 to
>determine if the system is stable. If not, then you may have to
>increase the CPU voltage and/or the memory voltage again (incrementally)
>till it is.

I have one question, and it involves the settings between 166 and 200.
I have been in and tried but don't want to change too much until I can
figure it out. Do you know what I have to do to get to those figures?
May be a strange question but I am just being careful.
joevan

Artless Malefactor

With PC2700 DDR, you may be able to overclock. I have spent the last 8
months with 2 x 512MB DDR333
from Kingston running at the 200MHx FSB for my P4 2.8C with no problems at
all. If it is DDR333 that is
backward compatible to DDR266, it may not work as mine did. Check in your
BIOS - try setting the CPU-to-RAM ratio at 5:4 and leave the FSB at 200

"joevan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I ran prime 95 for 9 hours overnight using 100% of cpu usage with no
> problems.
> I just tried to up from 166 mhz to 200 and could not. Had to start in
> safe mode. I guess something is not quite right.
> Anyone know if it is possible?
>

> Computer
> Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
> OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
> Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1)
>
> Motherboard
> CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A, 1913 MHz (5.75 x 333)
> Motherboard Name Asus A7N8X-X (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM, Audio,
> LAN)
> Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce2 400
> System Memory 512 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
> BIOS Type Award (02/03/04)
> Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
> Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
> Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
>
> Display
> Video Adapter ATI Radeon 9200 (RV280)
> 3D Accelerator ATI Radeon 9200 (RV280)
>
> Multimedia
> Audio Adapter nVIDIA MCP2 - Audio Codec Interface
>
> Storage
> Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
> Disk Drive Maxtor 6 Y060M0 SCSI Disk Device (60 GB, 7200 RPM,
> Serial-ATA/150)
> Optical Drive SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352N
>
> Partitions
> C: (NTFS) 58643 MB (52517 MB free)
>
> Input
> Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2
> Keyboard
> Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse
>

> Peripherals
> Printer HP DeskJet 720C

joevan

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 18:10:09 -0400, "Artless Malefactor"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>With PC2700 DDR, you may be able to overclock. I have spent the last 8
>months with 2 x 512MB DDR333
>from Kingston running at the 200MHx FSB for my P4 2.8C with no problems at
>all. If it is DDR333 that is
>backward compatible to DDR266, it may not work as mine did. Check in your
>BIOS - try setting the CPU-to-RAM ratio at 5:4 and leave the FSB at 200
>
>"joevan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I ran prime 95 for 9 hours overnight using 100% of cpu usage with no
>> problems.
>> I just tried to up from 166 mhz to 200 and could not. Had to start in
>> safe mode. I guess something is not quite right.
>> Anyone know if it is possible?
>>

>> Computer
>> Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
>> OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
>> Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1)
>>
>> Motherboard
>> CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A, 1913 MHz (5.75 x 333)
>> Motherboard Name Asus A7N8X-X (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM, Audio,
>> LAN)
>> Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce2 400
>> System Memory 512 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
>> BIOS Type Award (02/03/04)
>> Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
>> Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
>> Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
>>
>> Display
>> Video Adapter ATI Radeon 9200 (RV280)
>> 3D Accelerator ATI Radeon 9200 (RV280)
>>
>> Multimedia
>> Audio Adapter nVIDIA MCP2 - Audio Codec Interface
>>
>> Storage
>> Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
>> Disk Drive Maxtor 6 Y060M0 SCSI Disk Device (60 GB, 7200 RPM,
>> Serial-ATA/150)
>> Optical Drive SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352N
>>
>> Partitions
>> C: (NTFS) 58643 MB (52517 MB free)
>>
>> Input
>> Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2
>> Keyboard
>> Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse
>>

>> Peripherals
>> Printer HP DeskJet 720C

I got it up to 186 and below are my numbers. How is it looking?
joevan

Sensor Properties
Sensor Type Asus ASB100 Bach, Winbond W83L785TS-S
Sensor Access SMBus 2Dh, SMBus 2Eh
Motherboard Name Asus A7N8X

Temperatures
Motherboard 28 C (82 F)
CPU 53 C (127 F)
CPU Diode 73 C (163 F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 3375 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.74 V
CPU Aux 1.74 V
+3.3 V 3.26 V
+5 V 4.81 V
+12 V 12.42 V
-12 V -12.33 V
-5 V -4.67 V

joevan

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 21:21:10 GMT, joevan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>>> CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A, 1913 MHz (5.75 x 333)
>>> Motherboard Name Asus A7N8X-X (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM, Audio,
>>> LAN)
>>> Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce2 400
>>> System Memory 512 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
>>> BIOS Type Award (02/03/04)
>>> Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
>>> Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
>>> Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
>>>
>>> Display
>>> Video Adapter ATI Radeon 9200 (RV280)
>>> 3D Accelerator ATI Radeon 9200 (RV280)
>>>
>>> Multimedia
>>> Audio Adapter nVIDIA MCP2 - Audio Codec Interface
>>>
>>> Storage
>>> Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
>>> Disk Drive Maxtor 6 Y060M0 SCSI Disk Device (60 GB, 7200 RPM,
>>> Serial-ATA/150)
>>> Optical Drive SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352N
>>>
>>> Partitions
>>> C: (NTFS) 58643 MB (52517 MB free)
>>>
>>> Input
>>> Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2
>>> Keyboard
>>> Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse
>>>

>>> Peripherals
>>> Printer HP DeskJet 720C
>>>

>I got it up to 186 and below are my numbers. How is it looking?
>joevan
>
>Sensor Properties
>Sensor Type Asus ASB100 Bach, Winbond W83L785TS-S
>Sensor Access SMBus 2Dh, SMBus 2Eh
>Motherboard Name Asus A7N8X
>
>Temperatures
>Motherboard 28 C (82 F)
>CPU 53 C (127 F)
>CPU Diode 73 C (163 F)
>
>Cooling Fans
>CPU 3375 RPM
>
>Voltage Values
>CPU Core 1.74 V
>CPU Aux 1.74 V
>+3.3 V 3.26 V
>+5 V 4.81 V
>+12 V 12.42 V
>-12 V -12.33 V
>-5 V -4.67 V

Running prime 95 using 100 % cpu usage and this is what I am getting
at 186.
joevan

Temperatures
Motherboard 29 C (84 F)
CPU 53 C (127 F)
CPU Diode 70 C (158 F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 3835 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.73 V
CPU Aux 1.73 V
+3.3 V 3.26 V
+5 V 4.87 V
+12 V 12.35 V
-12 V -12.27 V
-5 V -4.65 V
The fan has speeded up so it seems to be working ok?
I wonder if I could add more? I don't want to stress things too much.
joevan

joevan

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 21:29:35 GMT, joevan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Sensor Properties on restart

Sensor Type Asus ASB100 Bach, Winbond W83L785TS-S
Sensor Access SMBus 2Dh, SMBus 2Eh
Motherboard Name Asus A7N8X

Temperatures
Motherboard 27 C (81 F)
CPU 41 C (106 F)
CPU Diode 52 C (126 F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 3444 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.76 V
CPU Aux 1.76 V
+3.3 V 3.26 V
+5 V 4.97 V
+12 V 12.16 V
-12 V -12.08 V
-5 V -4.58 V

Processor Properties
Manufacturer AMD
Version AMD Athlon(tm) XP
External Clock 189 MHz
Maximum Clock 3000 MHz
Current Clock 2174 MHz
Type Central Processor
Voltage 1.7 V
Status Enabled
Upgrade ZIF
Socket Designation Socket A

Sensor Properties
Sensor Type Asus ASB100 Bach, Winbond W83L785TS-S
Sensor Access SMBus 2Dh, SMBus 2Eh
Motherboard Name Asus A7N8X

>Now with prime 95 running and 100% cpu usage. same ext clock of 189 MHz

Temperatures
Motherboard 27 C (81 F)
CPU 41 C (106 F)
CPU Diode 62 C (144 F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 2518 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.76 V
CPU Aux 1.74 V
+3.3 V 3.26 V
+5 V 4.81 V
+12 V 12.42 V
-12 V -12.33 V
-5 V -4.67 V

ICee

Looking good, joevan. That's a really good overclock for PC2700 memory.
Temps are very good also. You're a pro at overclocking now.

joevan wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 21:29:35 GMT, joevan <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Sensor Properties on restart

> Sensor Type Asus ASB100 Bach, Winbond W83L785TS-S
> Sensor Access SMBus 2Dh, SMBus 2Eh
> Motherboard Name Asus A7N8X
>
> Temperatures
> Motherboard 27 C (81 F)
> CPU 41 C (106 F)
> CPU Diode 52 C (126 F)
>
> Cooling Fans
> CPU 3444 RPM
>
> Voltage Values
> CPU Core 1.76 V
> CPU Aux 1.76 V
> +3.3 V 3.26 V
> +5 V 4.97 V
> +12 V 12.16 V
> -12 V -12.08 V
> -5 V -4.58 V
>
> Processor Properties
> Manufacturer AMD
> Version AMD Athlon(tm) XP
> External Clock 189 MHz
> Maximum Clock 3000 MHz
> Current Clock 2174 MHz
> Type Central Processor
> Voltage 1.7 V
> Status Enabled
> Upgrade ZIF
> Socket Designation Socket A
>
> Sensor Properties
> Sensor Type Asus ASB100 Bach, Winbond W83L785TS-S
> Sensor Access SMBus 2Dh, SMBus 2Eh
> Motherboard Name Asus A7N8X
>

>> Now with prime 95 running and 100% cpu usage. same ext clock of 189
>> MHz

> Temperatures
> Motherboard 27 C (81 F)
> CPU 41 C (106 F)
> CPU Diode 62 C (144 F)
>
> Cooling Fans
> CPU 2518 RPM
>
> Voltage Values
> CPU Core 1.76 V
> CPU Aux 1.74 V
> +3.3 V 3.26 V
> +5 V 4.81 V
> +12 V 12.42 V
> -12 V -12.33 V
> -5 V -4.67 V

joevan

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 21:36:36 -0400, "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Looking good, joevan. That's a really good overclock for PC2700 memory.
>Temps are very good also. You're a pro at overclocking now.
>
>joevan wrote:
>> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 21:29:35 GMT, joevan <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

Thanks again for the feedback. Below is after10 hours of 100% cpu
useage with prime 95. I am going to go higher and see how it is I
think 195 and let it be. If that is not good then back to 189.

Temperatures
Motherboard 27 C (81 F)
CPU 52 C (126 F)
CPU Diode 70 C (158 F)