Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Add/Remove Program Glitch: Asks If I Want To To Remove Wrong Program ?

Add/Remove Program Glitch: Asks If I Want To To Remove Wrong Program ?

Robert11

Hi,

Running W98 and Netscape.

Here's an interesting one:

Started to install Norton SystemWorks Professional 2004.
Right at the beginning, it says that it detected an older version that must
be removed, first,
by the Add/Remove program.

No problem.
I went to the Add/Remove in the Control panel, scrolled down the list, and
there is
listed my older version of Norton SystemWorks.

But, when I click on it to highlight it, it asks "are you sure you want to
remove Netscape 7.x ?"

Huh ?
I want to remove the old SystemWorks, but it keeps asking me if I want to
remove my Netscape ?

What might be going on here?

I sure don't want to remove Netscape, and have to reinstall it, if this is
really going to happen.
Netscape is also listed, as is to be expected, in the Add/Remove listing,
but I am definitely not
clicking on it to remove it.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

°Mike°

Open your registry editor (Start / Run / regedit)
to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall

Locate the entry for SystemWorks and note
the value of "UninstallString". What does it
say?

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 13:19:49 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Robert11 scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Robert11

Hi Mike:

As always, much thanks for help.

The Uninstall String says: C:\ WINDOWS \ NSUNINST.exe

Bob

-----------------------
> Open your registry editor (Start / Run / regedit)
> to the following key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall
>
> Locate the entry for SystemWorks and note
> the value of "UninstallString". What does it
> say?
>

> On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 13:19:49 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Robert11 scrawled:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >Running W98 and Netscape.
> >
> >Here's an interesting one:
> >
> >Started to install Norton SystemWorks Professional 2004.
> >Right at the beginning, it says that it detected an older version that

must
> >be removed, first,
> >by the Add/Remove program.
> >
> >No problem.
> >I went to the Add/Remove in the Control panel, scrolled down the list,

and
> >there is
> >listed my older version of Norton SystemWorks.
> >
> >But, when I click on it to highlight it, it asks "are you sure you want

> >remove Netscape 7.x ?"
> >
> >Huh ?
> >I want to remove the old SystemWorks, but it keeps asking me if I want to
> >remove my Netscape ?
> >
> >What might be going on here?
> >
> >I sure don't want to remove Netscape, and have to reinstall it, if this

is
> >really going to happen.
> >Netscape is also listed, as is to be expected, in the Add/Remove listing,
> >but I am definitely not
> >clicking on it to remove it.
> >
> >Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Bob

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

It appears that Norton System Works and
Netscape have the same name for their
uninstaller file.

Using the Norton SystemWorks™ cleanup utility (SYMClean)
To run SYMClean
Click Yes to proceed. If you see the message
Do you want to completely remove Netscape (7.0) and
all its components?", answer No. Netscape 7.0 and older
NSW versions both use the file NSuninst.exe. Removing
that file may prevent Netscape from functioning correctly.

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 14:58:11 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Robert11 scrawled:

>Hi Mike:
>
>As always, much thanks for help.
>
>The Uninstall String says: C:\ WINDOWS \ NSUNINST.exe
>
>Bob
>
>-----------------------
>> Open your registry editor (Start / Run / regedit)
>> to the following key:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall
>>
>> Locate the entry for SystemWorks and note
>> the value of "UninstallString". What does it
>> say?
>>

>> On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 13:19:49 -0400, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Robert11 scrawled:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >Running W98 and Netscape.
>> >
>> >Here's an interesting one:
>> >
>> >Started to install Norton SystemWorks Professional 2004.
>> >Right at the beginning, it says that it detected an older version that

>must
>> >be removed, first,
>> >by the Add/Remove program.
>> >
>> >No problem.
>> >I went to the Add/Remove in the Control panel, scrolled down the list,

>and
>> >there is
>> >listed my older version of Norton SystemWorks.
>> >
>> >But, when I click on it to highlight it, it asks "are you sure you want

>> >remove Netscape 7.x ?"
>> >
>> >Huh ?
>> >I want to remove the old SystemWorks, but it keeps asking me if I want to
>> >remove my Netscape ?
>> >
>> >What might be going on here?
>> >
>> >I sure don't want to remove Netscape, and have to reinstall it, if this

>is
>> >really going to happen.
>> >Netscape is also listed, as is to be expected, in the Add/Remove listing,
>> >but I am definitely not
>> >clicking on it to remove it.
>> >
>> >Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >Bob

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

Basic computer maintenance

Robert11

Hi again:

Seems to have worked !

Much thanks; would never, ever, have found the Symantic link
to their Uninstaller, SYMClean.

Worked in the "Manual" mode.

Bob
-------------------------

> It appears that Norton System Works and
> Netscape have the same name for their
> uninstaller file.
>
> Using the Norton SystemWorksT cleanup utility (SYMClean)
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...01101612274407
> To run SYMClean
> Click Yes to proceed. If you see the message
> Do you want to completely remove Netscape (7.0) and
> all its components?", answer No. Netscape 7.0 and older
> NSW versions both use the file NSuninst.exe. Removing
> that file may prevent Netscape from functioning correctly.
>

> On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 14:58:11 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Robert11 scrawled:
>
> >Hi Mike:
> >
> >As always, much thanks for help.
> >
> >The Uninstall String says: C:\ WINDOWS \ NSUNINST.exe
> >
> >Bob
> >
> >-----------------------
> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> Open your registry editor (Start / Run / regedit)
> >> to the following key:
> >>
> >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall
> >>
> >> Locate the entry for SystemWorks and note
> >> the value of "UninstallString". What does it
> >> say?
> >>

> >> On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 13:19:49 -0400, in
> >> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >> Robert11 scrawled:

> >must

> >and

want

this
> >is

listing,

> >> --
> >> Basic computer maintenance

> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

You're welcome.

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 15:23:47 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Robert11 scrawled:

>Hi again:
>
>Seems to have worked !
>
>Much thanks; would never, ever, have found the Symantic link
>to their Uninstaller, SYMClean.
>
>Worked in the "Manual" mode.
>
>Bob
>-------------------------

>> It appears that Norton System Works and
>> Netscape have the same name for their
>> uninstaller file.
>>
>> Using the Norton SystemWorksT cleanup utility (SYMClean)
>> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...01101612274407
>> To run SYMClean
>> Click Yes to proceed. If you see the message
>> Do you want to completely remove Netscape (7.0) and
>> all its components?", answer No. Netscape 7.0 and older
>> NSW versions both use the file NSuninst.exe. Removing
>> that file may prevent Netscape from functioning correctly.
>>

>> On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 14:58:11 -0400, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Robert11 scrawled:
>>
>> >Hi Mike:
>> >
>> >As always, much thanks for help.
>> >
>> >The Uninstall String says: C:\ WINDOWS \ NSUNINST.exe
>> >
>> >Bob
>> >
>> >-----------------------
>> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>> >must

>> >and

>want

>this
>> >is

>listing,

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

Basic computer maintenance

nota chance

Robert11 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Running W98 and Netscape.
>
> Here's an interesting one:
>
> Started to install Norton SystemWorks Professional 2004.
> Right at the beginning, it says that it detected an older version that must
> be removed, first,
> by the Add/Remove program.
>
> No problem.
> I went to the Add/Remove in the Control panel, scrolled down the list, and
> there is
> listed my older version of Norton SystemWorks.
>
> But, when I click on it to highlight it, it asks "are you sure you want to
> remove Netscape 7.x ?"
>
> Huh ?
> I want to remove the old SystemWorks, but it keeps asking me if I want to
> remove my Netscape ?
>
> What might be going on here?
>
> I sure don't want to remove Netscape, and have to reinstall it, if this is
> really going to happen.
> Netscape is also listed, as is to be expected, in the Add/Remove listing,
> but I am definitely not
> clicking on it to remove it.
>
> Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Wow makes me glad I never bought the silly norton 2004 package I have
heard nothing good so far about it more bugs. I pal got the norton
anti-virus 2004 and couldn't even get the auto registration to work to
reg the thing off the net.

What happening at norton as of late. I wonder if norton is ttring to
bundle a newer ie or netscape browser or teh program has a flaw in it.
This is a weird re-ocuring thing as of late with other friends as well.