Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > ? Windows 2000 Professional, how to use printer offline

? Windows 2000 Professional, how to use printer offline

zxcvbob

In Windows 98, I could spool printer output with the network cable
unplugged by setting the printer "offline". I can't find this option
now that I've upgraded to Windows 2000. The printer configuration says
says (under the Ports tab) "LAN Manager Printer Port". Do I need to
find an LPR driver to use the printer offline?

Thanks, and best regards,
Bob

zxcvbob

zxcvbob wrote:

> In Windows 98, I could spool printer output with the network cable
> unplugged by setting the printer "offline". I can't find this option
> now that I've upgraded to Windows 2000. The printer configuration says
> says (under the Ports tab) "LAN Manager Printer Port". Do I need to
> find an LPR driver to use the printer offline?
>
> Thanks, and best regards,
> Bob

I finally managed to get it. First I tried recreating the printer with
a local LPT1 port, and then change to port to the LAN manager after the
output was queued up, but Windows screamed at me that I didn't have
enough authority to change it (I'm the administrator). I deleted the
printer and created a new one using a standard TCP/IP port (SNMP), and I
was able to mark that one to use offline, then put it back online later
when the network cable was attached.

Bob