Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > System IRQ's

System IRQ's

DeMoN LaG

"relic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in newstbPc.68611$SO5.47788
@twister.socal.rr.com:

> Go ogle. It's ACPI.

ACPI and APIC are two different things. Go ogle yourself.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk

relic

DeMoN LaG wrote:
> "relic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in newstbPc.68611$SO5.47788
> @twister.socal.rr.com:
>
>> Go ogle. It's ACPI.
>>

> ACPI and APIC are two different things. Go ogle yourself.

There are 4 entries. NOTHING to do with System IRQ's is mentioned in them.
That would be ACPI.

--
- relic -
Don't take life too seriously, You won't get out alive.

Isoshi

DeMoN LaG wrote:

> "relic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in newstbPc.68611$SO5.47788
> @twister.socal.rr.com:

>> Go ogle. It's ACPI.
>>

> ACPI and APIC are two different things. Go ogle yourself.

In this threads context of additional IRQ's, and IRQ Steering, I'd agree
with relic; it's ACPI.

Ralph Wade Phillips, the scaveneger employed by the parish to clean the streets

Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:
> Howdy!
>
> "relic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:GtZOc.65170$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:
>>> Howdy!
>>>
>>> "Xolak the gladiatorial"
>>> <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message

news:(E-Mail Removed) .pictures.erotica.blonde...

>>> One abbreviation for you - APIC .

>> APIC? *APIC* ??
>>
>> Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
>> <shakes head>

> Advanced Programmable Interface Controller. Yes, on P4/Athlon
> boards there are typically 24 hardware interrupts if you turn APIC on.

You ****ing, stupid, yanKKKee-like, Howdying retard.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=APIC

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=ACPI

Ralph W. Phillips

Howdy!

"relic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newstbPc.68611$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:
> > Howdy!
> >
> > "relic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:GtZOc.65170$(E-Mail Removed)...

news:(E-Mail Removed) .pictures.erotica.blonde...

> >> APIC? *APIC* ??
> >>
> >> Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
> >> <shakes head>

> > Advanced Programmable Interface Controller. Yes, on P4/Athlon
> > boards there are typically 24 hardware interrupts if you turn APIC on.
> >
> > RwP

> Go ogle. It's ACPI.

I know about ACPI. I'm talking about APIC. Two different things.

Advanced Programmable Interface Controller. Why, the P4 at my feet
has one, installed, and therefore has 24 hardware IRQs.

ACPI is Advanced Configuration and Power Interface - not quite the
same thing.

RwP

Ralph W. Phillips

Howdy!

"relic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nscPc.68615$(E-Mail Removed)...
> DeMoN LaG wrote:
> > "relic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in newstbPc.68611$SO5.47788
> > @twister.socal.rr.com:
> >
> >> Go ogle. It's ACPI.
> >>

> > ACPI and APIC are two different things. Go ogle yourself.

> There are 4 entries. NOTHING to do with System IRQ's is mentioned in

them.
> That would be ACPI.

Four? I get 54,200 on "Advanced Programmable Interface Controller",
including (as the FIRST hit) info on the Intel 82093AA. Info at
http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets...hts/290566.htm .

Try Googling with intelligent choices sometimes. Or better still,
study some. You just might learn something.

RwP

Wizard

not using XP.

Linda wrote:

> 15 is the highest IRQ number.
>
> --
> Hmmm, they've got internet on computers now. - Homer Simpson
> "Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cef7lp$bev$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I am looking at my system in both system information, and in the computer
> > properties.
> >
> > I cannot see the following IRQ's: 3, 5, 7, 11, and 17. I am very
> > curious to know why Windows did not assign them, and doubled up others to

> be
> > shared?
> >
> > The second thing is that I cannot seem to figure out what USB device is on
> > what USB Universal Host Controller. Each controller has a set of ports in
> > association with it. I found the Host Controller addresses.
> >
> > What I want to do in the end, is to determine exactly which USB device is

> in
> > which port when viewing it in the System Hardware Properties.
> >
> > It turns out that one of the USB Host Controllers is being shared in IRQ
> > with the ATA hard drive. Another Host Controller is being shared with a
> > modem. There is another one that is being shared with the video display.
> >
> > I have an HP 4670 Scanner, and it is giving loss of communications

> problems
> > because of the IRQ sharing. I found this out after doing a lot of

> searching.
> > To get around that, I used the USB Host Controller that in shared with the
> > least demand. This was the one that is shared with the modem. The scanner
> > was now, only failing to communicate once in a while.
> >
> > To resolve the issue, I added an active USB hub to act as a type of

> buffer.
> > It actually is slowing down the USB communications. With this approach,

> the
> > scanner seems to be working for now. I tried it many times over the coarse
> > of the evening, and it has not failed yet.
> >
> > What I am looking for, is if someone would have an explanation for this???
> >
> > --
> >
> > Jerry G.
> > ==========================

Diogenes

Ralph W. Phillips wrote:
> Howdy!
>
> "relic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:nscPc.68615$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> DeMoN LaG wrote:
>>> "relic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> newstbPc.68611$SO5.47788 @twister.socal.rr.com:

>>> ACPI and APIC are two different things. Go ogle yourself.

>> There are 4 entries. NOTHING to do with System IRQ's is mentioned
>> in them. That would be ACPI.

> Four? I get 54,200 on "Advanced Programmable Interface
> Controller",

Web Results 1 - 4 of 4 for "Advanced Programmable Interface Controller"
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

relic

Ralph W. Phillips wrote:
> Howdy!
>
> "relic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newstbPc.68611$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:
>>> Howdy!
>>>
>>> "relic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:GtZOc.65170$(E-Mail Removed)...

news:(E-Mail Removed) .pictures.erotica.blonde...

>>> Advanced Programmable Interface Controller. Yes, on
>>> P4/Athlon boards there are typically 24 hardware interrupts if you
>>> turn APIC on.
>>>
>>> RwP

>> Go ogle. It's ACPI.

> I know about ACPI. I'm talking about APIC. Two different
> things.
>
> Advanced Programmable Interface Controller. Why, the P4 at
> my feet has one, installed, and therefore has 24 hardware IRQs.
>
> ACPI is Advanced Configuration and Power Interface - not
> quite the same thing.

While APIC allows IRQs beyond 16, I don't believe you can have APIC unless
ACPI is enabled. ACPI has been the BIOS configurable option I've seen on the
dozen or so post-APM motherboards I've setup recently (admittedly a limited
sample; ASUS, MSI, ABIT, Intel, and a couple of others), not APIC.

--
- relic -
Don't take life too seriously, You won't get out alive.

JT

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 20:33:23 GMT, "relic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>DeMoN LaG wrote:
>> "relic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in newstbPc.68611$SO5.47788
>> @twister.socal.rr.com:
>>
>>> Go ogle. It's ACPI.
>>>

>> ACPI and APIC are two different things. Go ogle yourself.

>There are 4 entries. NOTHING to do with System IRQ's is mentioned in them.
>That would be ACPI.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...on127121120120

Microsofts info on APIC. Google for "APIC interupt" and you won't get all
the noise of non-related links

JT