Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > System IRQ's

System IRQ's

Michael-NC

This pertains more to win98 but may provide some help.

There are 16 IRQs (15 usable) in a computer system. Here is a typical
assignment of these IRQs:

IRQ 0 System- System Timer
IRQ 1 System- Keyboard
IRQ 2 System- Cascadeable PIC (programmable interrupt controller), controls
IRQ 8-15
IRQ 3 System- Serial Port (COM 2 and COM4)
IRQ 4 System - Serial Port (COM 1 and COM3)
IRQ 5 Available- General Adapter Use
IRQ 6 System- Diskette Controller
IRQ 7 System- Printer 1
IRQ 8 System- CMOS Real-time clock
IRQ 9 Available- General Adapter Use
IRQ 10 Available- General Adapter Use
IRQ 11 Available- General Adapter Use
IRQ 12 System- Mouse Port
IRQ 13 System- Math Co-processor (even though this is built into the CPU, it
still uses an IRQ)
IRQ 14 System- Hard Disk Controller
IRQ 15 Available- General Adapter Use

As you can see, there are five (5) IRQs that are not assigned by the system
design. Of these, one usually goes to the graphics card, one to the USB
ports, and one to the modem. That leaves two (2) available IRQs for
everything else. With care (and use of the proper cards), this is normally
sufficient.

First:
Internal Modem (PCI)
Second:
Sound Card (PCI or ISA)
Third:
Network Card, a.k.a. NIC (PCI or ISA)
Fourth:
DVD Devices requiring Dxr3 Decoder Board (PCI)
Note: Some video decoder boards require two (2) IRQs for complete
functionality. Check with your video decoder card manufacturer for video
decoder support and requirements.
Fifth:
SCSI Adapter (PCI) (This assumes that the system does not have a SCSI hard
drive.)
Sixth:
Any others.

"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cef7lp$bev$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am looking at my system in both system information, and in the computer
> properties.
>
> I cannot see the following IRQ's: 3, 5, 7, 11, and 17. I am very
> curious to know why Windows did not assign them, and doubled up others to

be
> shared?
>
> The second thing is that I cannot seem to figure out what USB device is on
> what USB Universal Host Controller. Each controller has a set of ports in
> association with it. I found the Host Controller addresses.
>
> What I want to do in the end, is to determine exactly which USB device is

in
> which port when viewing it in the System Hardware Properties.
>
> It turns out that one of the USB Host Controllers is being shared in IRQ
> with the ATA hard drive. Another Host Controller is being shared with a
> modem. There is another one that is being shared with the video display.
>
> I have an HP 4670 Scanner, and it is giving loss of communications

problems
> because of the IRQ sharing. I found this out after doing a lot of

searching.
> To get around that, I used the USB Host Controller that in shared with the
> least demand. This was the one that is shared with the modem. The scanner
> was now, only failing to communicate once in a while.
>
> To resolve the issue, I added an active USB hub to act as a type of

buffer.
> It actually is slowing down the USB communications. With this approach,

the
> scanner seems to be working for now. I tried it many times over the coarse
> of the evening, and it has not failed yet.
>
> What I am looking for, is if someone would have an explanation for this???
>
> --
>
> Jerry G.
> ==========================

~misfit~

Darryl Grandspear-Socklecheck wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Wirg the Giblet-impairer wrote:

>>> You know, that lame was just so ****ing lame and just so ****ing
>>> obvious I concluded that there would not be a ****wit on the entire
>>> planet who would go within a ****ing mile of it, yet there you are.

>> LOL. Shows just how right your conclusions can be.

> It more reflects your lameness.

Is that all you've got?

I've had my fun with you, you can leave now. Don't dribble too much and
don't let the door hit your well-used arse on the way out.
--
~misfit~

Manning Duckson-Sonderkere

~misfit~ wrote:
| Darryl Grandspear-Socklecheck wrote:
|| ~misfit~ wrote:
||| LOL. Shows just how right your conclusions can be.
|| It more reflects your lameness.
|
| Is that all you've got?
|
| I've had my fun with you, you can leave now. Don't dribble too much
| and don't let the door hit your well-used arse on the way out.

Oh, I say!

is but a dream within a dream.

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"Xolak the gladiatorial" <(E-Mail Removed) >
wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) .pictures.erotica.blonde...
> Linda wrote:
> > 15 is the highest IRQ number.

> BWAHAHAHAHAAH!!! You ****witted, top-posting slut. I have IRQ's up to 24.

One abbreviation for you - APIC .

RwP

Ralph Wade Phillips, the fucktard

Ralph Wade Phillips, the ****tard wrote:
> Howdy!
>
> "Xolak the gladiatorial"
> <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message

news:(E-Mail Removed) .pictures.erotica.blonde...
>> Linda wrote:
>>> 15 is the highest IRQ number.

>> BWAHAHAHAHAAH!!! You ****witted, top-posting slut. I have IRQ's up
>> to 24.
>>

> One abbreviation for you - APIC .

**** off, Walph.

~misfit~, the malicious, surnaming gonad

~misfit~ wrote:

> I've had my fun with you

Sub-text: "I won't reply anymore therefore I win."

relic

Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:
> Howdy!
>
> "Xolak the gladiatorial"
> <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message

news:(E-Mail Removed) .pictures.erotica.blonde...
>> Linda wrote:
>>> 15 is the highest IRQ number.

>> BWAHAHAHAHAAH!!! You ****witted, top-posting slut. I have IRQ's up
>> to 24.
>>

> One abbreviation for you - APIC .

APIC? *APIC* ??

Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
<shakes head>
--
- relic -
Don't take life too seriously, You won't get out alive.

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"relic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GtZOc.65170$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:
> > Howdy!
> >
> > "Xolak the gladiatorial"
> > <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message

news:(E-Mail Removed) .pictures.erotica.blonde...

> >> BWAHAHAHAHAAH!!! You ****witted, top-posting slut. I have IRQ's up
> >> to 24.
> >>

> > One abbreviation for you - APIC .

> APIC? *APIC* ??
>
> Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
> <shakes head>

Advanced Programmable Interface Controller. Yes, on P4/Athlon
boards there are typically 24 hardware interrupts if you turn APIC on.

RwP

relic

Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:
> Howdy!
>
> "relic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:GtZOc.65170$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:
>>> Howdy!
>>>
>>> "Xolak the gladiatorial"
>>> <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message

news:(E-Mail Removed) .pictures.erotica.blonde...

>>> One abbreviation for you - APIC .

>> APIC? *APIC* ??
>>
>> Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
>> <shakes head>

> Advanced Programmable Interface Controller. Yes, on P4/Athlon
> boards there are typically 24 hardware interrupts if you turn APIC on.
>
> RwP

Go ogle. It's ACPI.

--
- relic -
Don't take life too seriously, You won't get out alive.

JT

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 03:30:46 GMT, "relic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:
>> Howdy!
>>
>> "Xolak the gladiatorial"
>> <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message
>>

>news:(E-Mail Removed) s.pictures.erotica.blonde...
>>>
>>> BWAHAHAHAHAAH!!! You ****witted, top-posting slut. I have IRQ's up
>>> to 24.
>>>

>> One abbreviation for you - APIC .

>APIC? *APIC* ??
>
>Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
><shakes head>

APIC is not the same as ACPI. Advanced Programmable Interupt Controller.
Was added when PCI was added. Part of why PCI interupts can be shared.

JT