Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Zone Alarm Free 5.1 - download from newsgroups

Zone Alarm Free 5.1 - download from newsgroups

pickle

I just installed Zone Alarm Free 5.1 and cannot download pictures and
movie files from newsgroups. I first upgraded and when I couldn't
download I did a clean install. When I close down ZA I can download
just fine so the hiccup is with ZA.

I have XP Pro and use both Xnews and Free Agent to access newsgroups.

DC

pickle wrote:
> I just installed Zone Alarm Free 5.1 and cannot download pictures and
> movie files from newsgroups. I first upgraded and when I couldn't
> download I did a clean install. When I close down ZA I can download
> just fine so the hiccup is with ZA.

> I have XP Pro and use both Xnews and Free Agent to access newsgroups.

ZA is the problem. See this discussed several times in the last day or
two in news.software.readers.

Use another firewall. See today's threads in nsr for suggestions.

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

pickle

Tks. I just did. Installed Outpost.

-----

On 31 Jul 2004 01:43:59 GMT, DC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>pickle wrote:
>> I just installed Zone Alarm Free 5.1 and cannot download pictures and
>> movie files from newsgroups. I first upgraded and when I couldn't
>> download I did a clean install. When I close down ZA I can download
>> just fine so the hiccup is with ZA.

>> I have XP Pro and use both Xnews and Free Agent to access newsgroups.

>ZA is the problem. See this discussed several times in the last day or
>two in news.software.readers.
>
>Use another firewall. See today's threads in nsr for suggestions.

D. Best

Been using ZoneAlarm forever and the most recent updates as well (note there
has been a second update yesterday) ... no problems here ...

doug

--
-d. best-
Exercise Your Mind, Body & Freedoms
"pickle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tks. I just did. Installed Outpost.
>
> -----
>
> On 31 Jul 2004 01:43:59 GMT, DC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >pickle wrote:
> >> I just installed Zone Alarm Free 5.1 and cannot download pictures and
> >> movie files from newsgroups. I first upgraded and when I couldn't
> >> download I did a clean install. When I close down ZA I can download
> >> just fine so the hiccup is with ZA.

> >> I have XP Pro and use both Xnews and Free Agent to access newsgroups.

> >ZA is the problem. See this discussed several times in the last day or
> >two in news.software.readers.
> >
> >Use another firewall. See today's threads in nsr for suggestions.

pickle

Me too. I used ZA for years and had no problem until the update today.
Do you download files from newsgroups? That's where glich is.

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 07:26:34 -0400, "D. Best" <Exercise Your Body,
Mind & Freedoms@Nam 69,70,71> wrote:

>Been using ZoneAlarm forever and the most recent updates as well (note there
>has been a second update yesterday) ... no problems here ...
>
>doug

Jimmy Dean

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 11:05:24 +1000, pickle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just installed Zone Alarm Free 5.1 and cannot download pictures and
>movie files from newsgroups. I first upgraded and when I couldn't
>download I did a clean install. When I close down ZA I can download
>just fine so the hiccup is with ZA.
>
>I have XP Pro and use both Xnews and Free Agent to access newsgroups.

ZA5 inteferes with downloading yEnc encoded posts

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=15782#M15782

It also causes WinXP's CHKDSK to not run, even when requested to do so

jd