Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Wireless network question

Wireless network question

Hackworth

I am planning to get a cable ISP, then set up a Linksys wireless network so
that my family and I (four computers) can share the broadband connection.
Two computers have Windows ME installed and two have Windows XP--one
computer is a notebook. Unfortunately, I've been assembling, upgrading, and
repairing computers for about 16 years, but know next to nothing about
networks... but I'm learning. As soon as I'm ready, I'm going to order the
cable service and get the cable modem, as well as a Linksys router, three
wireless network cards, and a PCMCIA wireless card for the notebook system.

My question: How do I set up the network so that only the four computers in
the household can connect to the wireless network? And is this something
that I set through Windows or through the setup software that comes with the
Linksys hardware?

Duane Arnold

"Hackworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I am planning to get a cable ISP, then set up a Linksys wireless
> network so that my family and I (four computers) can share the
> broadband connection. Two computers have Windows ME installed and two
> have Windows XP--one computer is a notebook. Unfortunately, I've been
> assembling, upgrading, and repairing computers for about 16 years, but
> know next to nothing about networks... but I'm learning. As soon as
> I'm ready, I'm going to order the cable service and get the cable
> modem, as well as a Linksys router, three wireless network cards, and
> a PCMCIA wireless card for the notebook system.
>
> My question: How do I set up the network so that only the four
> computers in the household can connect to the wireless network? And
> is this something that I set through Windows or through the setup
> software that comes with the Linksys hardware?

With a wired/wireless access point router switch. The router can control
255 computers connected to it.

You have setup software for the Linksys router and for each Linksys card.

You set the channel on the router, the SSID, and WEP or WAP code and
match it for each wireless card.

You should have one machine that is hard wired to the router to configure
it.

Linksys B and G serires wireless routers.

Duane

sethra

Duane Arnold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

[snip]

> With a wired/wireless access point router switch. The router can
> control 255 computers connected to it.
>
> http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
>
> You have setup software for the Linksys router and for each Linksys
> card.
>
> You set the channel on the router, the SSID, and WEP or WAP code and
> match it for each wireless card.

For additional security:

Change the default router password!

You can turn on MAC address filtering to only allow your computers access
to the network.

You can turn off SSID broadcast. Doing so will require manually
connecting to the network.

If the hardware supports WPA, use it instead of WEP. WPA is more secure
and more advanced.

If the router supports it (and it should) turn off the wireless
administration access. This will require using an ethernet cable to
change the router settings.

Also, these sites have been helpful regarding my own networking questions
and both have active forums:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com
http://dslreports.com

Cheers,
~sethra

Mark Adams

Hackworth wrote:
> I am planning to get a cable ISP, then set up a Linksys wireless network so
> that my family and I (four computers) can share the broadband connection.
> Two computers have Windows ME installed and two have Windows XP--one
> computer is a notebook. Unfortunately, I've been assembling, upgrading, and
> repairing computers for about 16 years, but know next to nothing about
> networks... but I'm learning. As soon as I'm ready, I'm going to order the
> cable service and get the cable modem, as well as a Linksys router, three
> wireless network cards, and a PCMCIA wireless card for the notebook system.

Do it now! It's not as hard as some folks make it sound. What
equipment (router, NICs, etc.) are you looking at? For my home LAN last
year I purchased B-generation stuff -- as in 802.11b which is not as
fast as the g-generation. I suppose the faster 802.11g kit is better if
you've got the money to burn.

I've had great success with the Linksys BEF11S4 router and Xterasys
(http://www.xterasys.com/xn2511b.htm for the desktop and
http://www.xterasys.com/xn2411b.htm for the laptop) cards. My experience
is limited with all this stuff, but you may want to consider some OS
other than ME. I used it for a year and it was okay, but even Win98
might be more stable on a peer-to-peer network.

> My question: How do I set up the network so that only the four computers in
> the household can connect to the wireless network? And is this something
> that I set through Windows or through the setup software that comes with the
> Linksys hardware?

In addition to the suggestions from Duane and Sethra, you will probably
want to turn on DHCP and serve only as many IP addresses as you have
computers. You setup a Linksys router (and probably most others)
through an interface that shows up in your web browser. Connect the
router as per instructions in the box and then point your browser to
192.168.1.1 and enter "admin" as the password (leave the username blank).

One of the first things you want to do is change that password.

Also, check the windows networking newsgroups if you run into trouble.
You'll probably get a tip to this website early on.

www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm

Good luck!
--
Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.

Lucy Liu: That was incredible, Bender. You're like Jackie Chan
before he got all doughy.

atec

if you want any degree of security use cat 5, its normally cheaper as
well.