Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > network problem

network problem

tomm

2 computers both running xp pro networked together with network cards &
10/100 crossover cable.
XP network wizard run on both and both hard drives enabled for sharing.
They also share an internet connection ok.
Computer A can see computer B`s drive ok in "my computer/ my network
places".
But Computer B cannot see Computer A`s drive.
I do format both computers from time to time but this last format is the
first time that computer B cannot see A`s hard drive.
Probably a small thing to correct it, but what?

Duane Arnold

"tomm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:410971f0$0$6445$cc9e4d1f@news-
text.dial.pipex.com:

> 2 computers both running xp pro networked together with network cards &
> 10/100 crossover cable.
> XP network wizard run on both and both hard drives enabled for

sharing.
> They also share an internet connection ok.
> Computer A can see computer B`s drive ok in "my computer/ my network
> places".
> But Computer B cannot see Computer A`s drive.
> I do format both computers from time to time but this last format is

the
> first time that computer B cannot see A`s hard drive.
> Probably a small thing to correct it, but what?

You may want to use NWlink as the network protocol. A guy at work was
using the default NetBeui on his XP Pro machines and he couldn't get them
to network. He switched to NWlink and problem solved.

NWlink is the protocol I use on the Win 2K and XP Pro machines.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...nkconcepts.htm

You should uninstall the NetBeui protocol first; otherwise, you'll jack
the TCP/IP Stack on the O/S.

You may want to use IPsec that's on the O/S to supplement a PFW solution,
since one of the XP machines is a gateway device. You'll want to protect
the Windows networking ports even more.

http://www.petri.co.il/block_ping_tr...with_ipsec.htm

The AnalogX SecPol file is an easy implementation and provides instant
protection.

With a direct connect of an XP machine as the gateway device, you should
*harden* both the O/S(s) on the machines to attack.

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php

Better yet is to get a cheap NAT router that cost as much as a PFW
solution and use it as the gateway device for the LAN and WAN.

Duane

127.0.0.1

"tomm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:410971f0$0$6445$(E-Mail Removed)...
> 2 computers both running xp pro networked together with network cards &
> 10/100 crossover cable.
> XP network wizard run on both and both hard drives enabled for sharing.
> They also share an internet connection ok.
> Computer A can see computer B`s drive ok in "my computer/ my network
> places".
> But Computer B cannot see Computer A`s drive.
> I do format both computers from time to time but this last format is the
> first time that computer B cannot see A`s hard drive.
> Probably a small thing to correct it, but what?

routine formatting? i hope this is a typo...

basic peer to peer networking:
same workgroup
create an account on both machines
create the shares (folders are preferred than just sharing the HD) with
permissions
delete the everyone group

-a|ex

127.0.0.1

news:Xns9535B6AD679C1notmenotmecom@204.127.199.17. ..
> "tomm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:410971f0$0$6445$cc9e4d1f@news-
> text.dial.pipex.com:
>

> You may want to use NWlink as the network protocol. A guy at work was
> using the default NetBeui on his XP Pro machines and he couldn't get them
> to network. He switched to NWlink and problem solved.
>
> NWlink is the protocol I use on the Win 2K and XP Pro machines.

nwlink is mainly used for non-native connectivity with novell networks.
if you really want to be excentric, you can install appletalk or even DLC

-a|ex

Duane Arnold

"127.0.0.1" <loopy@localhost> wrote in
news:CFgOc.1994$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net:

> "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns9535B6AD679C1notmenotmecom@204.127.199.17. ..
>> "tomm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:410971f0$0$6445$cc9e4d1f@news-
>> text.dial.pipex.com:
>>

>> You may want to use NWlink as the network protocol. A guy at work was
>> using the default NetBeui on his XP Pro machines and he couldn't get
>> them to network. He switched to NWlink and problem solved.
>>
>> NWlink is the protocol I use on the Win 2K and XP Pro machines.

> nwlink is mainly used for non-native connectivity with novell
> networks. if you really want to be excentric, you can install
> appletalk or even DLC

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...nkconcepts.htm

I must have missed something in the link. I didn't miss the fact that I
couldn't get two Win 2K machine one wireless and one not wireless to
share resources on a BEFW11S4 router with WEP enabled using NetBeui.
NWlink solved the issue.

I didn't miss the fact that the guy who I work with that has two Win XP
Pro workstations and is as competent as I about the MS O/S couldn't get
them to network using a Linksys router non wireless and the NetBeui
protocol. He got it to work using NWlink.

On the other hand, his father who he did the setup for using the same
above setup using NetBeui worked.

I think that if you search Google you'll find plenty of articles on the
use of the NWlink protocol as an alternative solution in MS networking.

I must have missed soemthing in the link.

http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Art...D/546/546.html

Why should one beat their head up against the wall when one doesn't have
too? NWlink is a viable solution.

Duane

Duane Arnold

"127.0.0.1" <loopy@localhost> wrote in
news:9DgOc.1989$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net:

> "tomm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:410971f0$0$6445$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> 2 computers both running xp pro networked together with network cards
>> & 10/100 crossover cable.
>> XP network wizard run on both and both hard drives enabled for
>> sharing.
>> They also share an internet connection ok.
>> Computer A can see computer B`s drive ok in "my computer/ my
>> network
>> places".
>> But Computer B cannot see Computer A`s drive.
>> I do format both computers from time to time but this last format is
>> the
>> first time that computer B cannot see A`s hard drive.
>> Probably a small thing to correct it, but what?

> routine formatting? i hope this is a typo...
>
> basic peer to peer networking:
> same workgroup
> create an account on both machines
> create the shares (folders are preferred than just sharing the HD)
> with permissions
> delete the everyone group
>
> -a|ex

One other thing, I worked in the MS/Novell environment for a couple of
years.

Duane

Terry Ponsford

If Computer A has been formatted NTFS and B Fat 32 B will not be able to
read A

--

Regards,

wigwam118

news:Xns9535D0D1CFE4Enotmenotmecom@204.127.204.17. ..
> "127.0.0.1" <loopy@localhost> wrote in
> news:9DgOc.1989$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net:
>

> > "tomm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:410971f0$0$6445$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> 2 computers both running xp pro networked together with network cards
> >> & 10/100 crossover cable.
> >> XP network wizard run on both and both hard drives enabled for
> >> sharing.
> >> They also share an internet connection ok.
> >> Computer A can see computer B`s drive ok in "my computer/ my
> >> network
> >> places".
> >> But Computer B cannot see Computer A`s drive.
> >> I do format both computers from time to time but this last format is
> >> the
> >> first time that computer B cannot see A`s hard drive.
> >> Probably a small thing to correct it, but what?

> > routine formatting? i hope this is a typo...
> >
> > basic peer to peer networking:
> > same workgroup
> > create an account on both machines
> > create the shares (folders are preferred than just sharing the HD)
> > with permissions
> > delete the everyone group
> >
> > -a|ex
> >

> One other thing, I worked in the MS/Novell environment for a couple of
> years.
>
> Duane

Duane Arnold

"Terry Ponsford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:807df$410a29ce$d54e157a
$(E-Mail Removed)-service-com:

> If Computer A has been formatted NTFS and B Fat 32 B will not be able

> read A

I don't think that's true. My Win 2k PRO work laptop is FAT32 that I
bring home and connect to my network. The Win 2K and XP PRO machines on
the network are NTFS and I am pretty sure I have exchanged files between
the two in both directions, as s I recall.

So you're telling me that a Win 2K server on a network, like at the job,
that's NTFS and has shared folders on it and my Win 2K machine that's
FAT32 and the FAT32 machine cannot access the shared folders on the
server, because one is using NTFS and the other is using FAT32?

Now, if both machines are not using the same network protocols and cannot
access each other because of that, I could see that.

So what about a Win 9'x or ME O/S machine on a network that can only have
FAT or FAT32 that's and it needs access to a shared folder on a server
that's NTFS? I guess there will be no access there too.

Duane

Gordon

news:Xns95364C318DC78notmenotmecom@216.148.227.77. ..
> "Terry Ponsford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:807df$410a29ce$d54e157a
> $(E-Mail Removed)-service-com:
>
> > If Computer A has been formatted NTFS and B Fat 32 B will not be able

> > read A
> >

> I don't think that's true. My Win 2k PRO work laptop is FAT32 that I
> bring home and connect to my network. The Win 2K and XP PRO machines on
> the network are NTFS and I am pretty sure I have exchanged files between
> the two in both directions, as s I recall.
>
> So you're telling me that a Win 2K server on a network, like at the job,
> that's NTFS and has shared folders on it and my Win 2K machine that's
> FAT32 and the FAT32 machine cannot access the shared folders on the
> server, because one is using NTFS and the other is using FAT32?
>
> Now, if both machines are not using the same network protocols and cannot
> access each other because of that, I could see that.
>
> So what about a Win 9'x or ME O/S machine on a network that can only have
> FAT or FAT32 that's and it needs access to a shared folder on a server
> that's NTFS? I guess there will be no access there too.
>
> Duane

that's quite correct - it's only on the local machine that the FAT32/NTFS
thing is a problem.

Jim Berwick

"Terry Ponsford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:807df$410a29ce$d54e157a
$(E-Mail Removed)-service-com:

> If Computer A has been formatted NTFS and B Fat 32 B will not be able to
> read A

Completely not true. Not only is is possible for B to see files on A, it
is even possible for a Windows 98 or 2000 computer with a FAT, FAT32, or
NTFS partition to read files on a Linux ext2/3 partition over a network.

The local partitioning doesn't matter.