Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Source Safe

Source Safe

Raghvendra Shukla

how can we use Sourcesafe in any dotnet project

thnx & rgds
Raghvendra Shukla

Steven H

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 12:13:43 +0530, Raghvendra Shukla wrote:

> how can we use Sourcesafe in any dotnet project

If you want something that wont destroy years worth of your data i would
choose something else.

what is that something else? i am glad you asked ;P

Windows Shell Extension for Subversion - http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/
VS.NET Addin for Subversion - http://ankhsvn.tigris.org/

there all open source projects which have a lot of active development done
on them. if something doesnt work the people on the user & dev lists will
do their best to guide you in getting it working.

what i am trying to say is please use something other than that pile of
rotting binary called "SourceSafe".

if you need any more reasoning for you to use something (anything - even
cvs) then check out - http://www.wadhome.org/svn_vs_vss.txt

Steven H, 3rd Year B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic

..net Geek

Sreenivasulu Samudrala

the best tool for securing your source code is using Sourcesafe tool from
microsoft.
when you create any project in VS .Net, just right click on the project or
goto file menu and select the source control.
there you select the add to source control. with this, your project files,
solutions and any references to your project will be under the source
control.

Regards,
Samudrala

"Raghvendra Shukla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> how can we use Sourcesafe in any dotnet project
>
> thnx & rgds
> Raghvendra Shukla

DM McGowan II

> the best tool for securing your source code is using Sourcesafe tool from

Is it any wonder that outsourcing projects to India fails?

"Sreenivasulu Samudrala" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> the best tool for securing your source code is using Sourcesafe tool from
> microsoft.
> when you create any project in VS .Net, just right click on the project or
> goto file menu and select the source control.
> there you select the add to source control. with this, your project files,
> solutions and any references to your project will be under the source
> control.
>
> Regards,
> Samudrala
>
> "Raghvendra Shukla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > how can we use Sourcesafe in any dotnet project
> >
> > thnx & rgds
> > Raghvendra Shukla

Sahil Malik

Raghvendra Shukla,

Cutting clear of the bullshit replies before me, here's a real answer.

In Visual Studio.NET you can bind or unbind your projects to VSS using a
menu item under VSS. To initially configure them to use with VSS, just drag
drop them into VSS while checking the "recursive" option.

Now for the practicality part of it all. Sourcesafe uses as it's DB access
technology a much loved/hated Microsoft technology called "jet". Jet while
is perfect for 5ish user scenarios, is not ideal for large scale projects.
It does have it's advantages though, but that is another discussion. If you
want something for free (included in your MSDN universal .... otherwise
around $499), Visual Sourcesafe is a good choice. But if you are running an
Enterprise level project, with 20-200 developers, you might want to look
elsewhere. My personal favorites are Rational, PVCS, and what I like the
best Borland Starteam.

Might I add, Microsoft doesn't use VSS for it's own largescale projects
because S.Safe is just not the right tool for that. But MS isn't ignoring
S.Safe anymore, with Vstudio 2005, you are gonna have a fairly reworked
s.safe with web access etc. but it's target market is still small projects
(as far as I know).

S.safe isn't necessarily a bad tool, it's simple and ideal for a small
project. All other alternatives I mentioned above are ridiculously expensive
in comparison.

- Sahil Malik
Independent Consultant
You can reach me thru my blog at -
http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/weblog/sahilmalik/

"Raghvendra Shukla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> how can we use Sourcesafe in any dotnet project
>
> thnx & rgds
> Raghvendra Shukla

Sahil Malik

S.Safe was made and developed by an American company.

- Sahil Malik
Independent Consultant
You can reach me thru my blog at -
http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/weblog/sahilmalik/

"DM McGowan II" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > the best tool for securing your source code is using Sourcesafe tool

from

> Is it any wonder that outsourcing projects to India fails?
>

> "Sreenivasulu Samudrala" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > the best tool for securing your source code is using Sourcesafe tool

from
> > microsoft.
> > when you create any project in VS .Net, just right click on the project

or
> > goto file menu and select the source control.
> > there you select the add to source control. with this, your project

files,
> > solutions and any references to your project will be under the source
> > control.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Samudrala
> >
> > "Raghvendra Shukla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > how can we use Sourcesafe in any dotnet project
> > >
> > > thnx & rgds
> > > Raghvendra Shukla

Sahil Malik

Raghvendra Shukla,

The newsgroups ate my real reply .. so here it is again.

You can simply drag drop stuff into VSS from your windows explorer to make
Vstudio work with VSS. Then under File menu there is an option to
bind/unbind/work in disconnected mode etc.

Then there is a question of practicality. S.safe is based on a much
loved/hated technolgy called "Jet". Jet is not the ideal tool for heavy
loads, but for under 5 users it beats the options. (in my opinion even
msde). S.safe's database engine is based around Jet, which makes it
unsuitable for heavy duty 200 developer projects. Might I mention that
Microsoft itself doesn't use S.safe for it's final check-in's. Though S.Safe
is about the best and cheapest option you will find to get it running out of
the box.

Other options I personally like are Borland StarTeam (favorite), Rational,
PVCS.

Also. S.safe is being overhauled in vstudio 2005, finally there will be a
web based support (so I hear, haven't seen it yet).

- Sahil Malik
Independent Consultant
You can reach me thru my blog at -
http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/weblog/sahilmalik/

"Raghvendra Shukla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> how can we use Sourcesafe in any dotnet project
>
> thnx & rgds
> Raghvendra Shukla

lotusflower lotusflower is offline
Junior Member

Can you please let me know how to unbind a project from Source Safe as our team has moved away from using VSS to another version control tool? I looked for the option in change source control and even after unchecking the Bind checkbox, the project does not get loaded correctly.

Thanks in advance

catherine sea catherine sea is offline
Junior Member

Please try these steps: click the Unbind button in Change Source Control dialog, click OK and then close VS. Then open VS, select the new source control plugin at Tools -> Options -> Source Control and add the solution to source control.

If it does not work, please let me know more info about your problem.

You may also visit kevingao.net. There is an article explaining how to switch projects from SourceSafe to other SCC tools in details.

Thanks.

catherine sea catherine sea is offline
Junior Member

You can also try Dynamsoft SourceAnywhere, which is a SQL-based source control solution designed as a replacement of SourceSafe.

Regards.