Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > How to become a MVP

How to become a MVP

Janaka

How does one get the title of MVP? I've seen a couple posters on various
newsgroups fronting the title, usually as part of their display name, but I
can't see anywhere else how this is actually validated? What's to stop
anyone from changing their name to include "[MVP]"

Ted Timmons

There is no set formula, script, or plan you can follow that will guarantee
that you will receive an award. If you have recently begun participating in
a Microsoft peer-based community, do not expect to move into a leadership
role overnight. Earning the respect of your peers and earning recognition
from Microsoft takes time. If you have been participating for a while, you
may already be on your way to achieving MVP status.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/def...;EN-US;mvpfaqs

"Janaka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uv0Ma$%(E-Mail Removed)...
> How does one get the title of MVP? I've seen a couple posters on various
> newsgroups fronting the title, usually as part of their display name, but

> can't see anywhere else how this is actually validated? What's to stop
> anyone from changing their name to include "[MVP]"

Steven H

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 16:48:31 +0100, Janaka wrote:

> What's to stop anyone from changing their name to include "[MVP]"

nothing but respect for the title

anybody can stick an "MVP" on their name, but my bet is that they will soon
be found out.

the lovely thing about usenet is that everything is archived, all it takes
is one person to punch in your name in news.google.com and all your flame
wars, arrogance & just plain stupidness comes back to haunt you.

Steven H, 3rd Year B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic

..net Geek

Janaka

I would expect an award of this caliber to take time and recognition to
achieve. Thanks for the link Ted.

As with anything people will get caught out lying about their MVP status...
and properly flamed! I see the award is done yearly and the full roster of
MVPs is available on
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/def...le=toc#faq1183

Sahil Malik

Ok so what prevents me (a non-mvp) from using a MVP name of a real MVP and
posting porn on these newsgroups?

- Sahil Malik
Independent Consultant
You can reach me thru my blog - http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/sahilmalik/

"Janaka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would expect an award of this caliber to take time and recognition to
> achieve. Thanks for the link Ted.
>
> As with anything people will get caught out lying about their MVP

status...
> and properly flamed! I see the award is done yearly and the full roster

of
> MVPs is available on

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/def...le=toc#faq1183

Daniel O'Connell [C# MVP]

"Sahil Malik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok so what prevents me (a non-mvp) from using a MVP name of a real MVP and
> posting porn on these newsgroups?

Nothing. It has happened actually(though it was before the particular person
was an MVP), however most people can tell that its not the actual person
making the posts.