Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Slow erratic dial-up internet connection

Slow erratic dial-up internet connection

Marbleless

As far as I can see there are three areas which could contribute to
bad dial-up internet connection:-

1. Something wrong in the computer hardware or software

2. Bad phone line

3. Bad ISP

Is there any web site or program that will let me find out which of
the three is causing me problems?

Thanks for any info

°Mike°

On 28 Jul 2004 18:54:05 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed) >
Marbleless scrawled:

>As far as I can see there are three areas which could contribute to
>bad dial-up internet connection:-
>
>1. Something wrong in the computer hardware or software

That's two.

1. Modem hardware -- replace modem.
2. Software drivers (modem, DUN, TCP/IP) -- uninstall/reinstall.

>2. Bad phone line

3. Noise on phone line -- contact your telco.

>3. Bad ISP

4. Problem with ISP connectivity -- contact your ISP.
5. Network congestion -- try again later.

>Is there any web site or program that will let me find out which of
>the three is causing me problems?

You didn't even say what problems you are having. If/when
you do, you need to be as specific as possible, and include
as much detail as you can, including any VERBATIM error
messages.

--
Basic computer maintenance

JamesBenson

As far as I could see, mike's mum is his dad and vica versa, well I was
stood next to them

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 28 Jul 2004 18:54:05 -0700, in
> <(E-Mail Removed) >
> Marbleless scrawled:
>
> >As far as I can see there are three areas which could contribute to
> >bad dial-up internet connection:-
> >
> >1. Something wrong in the computer hardware or software

> That's two.
>
> 1. Modem hardware -- replace modem.
> 2. Software drivers (modem, DUN, TCP/IP) -- uninstall/reinstall.
>
> >2. Bad phone line

> 3. Noise on phone line -- contact your telco.
>
> >3. Bad ISP

> 4. Problem with ISP connectivity -- contact your ISP.
> 5. Network congestion -- try again later.
>
> >Is there any web site or program that will let me find out which of
> >the three is causing me problems?

> You didn't even say what problems you are having. If/when
> you do, you need to be as specific as possible, and include
> as much detail as you can, including any VERBATIM error
> messages.
>
> >Thanks for any info

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Hamman

"Marbleless" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> As far as I can see there are three areas which could contribute to
> bad dial-up internet connection:-

<snip>

no, just the one. Using dialup, by nature its erratic and slow.

hamman

Marbleless

°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> On 28 Jul 2004 18:54:05 -0700, in
> <(E-Mail Removed) >
> Marbleless scrawled:
>
> >As far as I can see there are three areas which could contribute to
> >bad dial-up internet connection:-
> >
> >1. Something wrong in the computer hardware or software

> That's two.
>
> 1. Modem hardware -- replace modem.
> 2. Software drivers (modem, DUN, TCP/IP) -- uninstall/reinstall.

I made it ONE as I was thinking in terms of AREA of the problem

> >2. Bad phone line

> 3. Noise on phone line -- contact your telco.
>
> >3. Bad ISP

> 4. Problem with ISP connectivity -- contact your ISP.
> 5. Network congestion -- try again later.
>
> >Is there any web site or program that will let me find out which of
> >the three is causing me problems?

> You didn't even say what problems you are having. If/when
> you do, you need to be as specific as possible, and include
> as much detail as you can, including any VERBATIM error
> messages.

As I said in the subject the connection is SLOW and ERRATIC in that
sometimes it is faster than others and other times it takes ages to
get a web page.

I was not asking for actual answers in my post but for a web site that
could guide me through things to look for.

°Mike°

On 29 Jul 2004 21:47:23 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed) >
Marbleless scrawled:

<snip>

>I was not asking for actual answers in my post but for a web
>site that could guide me through things to look for.

Ok, well you've just blown any further help from me, so good
luck in your search.

--
Basic computer maintenance