Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows Explorer - Internet explorer

Windows Explorer - Internet explorer

JamesBenson

Is Windows Explorer in xp pro safe to browse with and does it share security
settings with IE6

Sunny

No and No

"JamesBenson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sgZNc.743$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is Windows Explorer in xp pro safe to browse with and does it share

security
> settings with IE6

trout

JamesBenson wrote:

> Is Windows Explorer in xp pro safe to browse with and does it share
> security settings with IE6

I would *not* allow W Explorer access online. Period. In theory; any
program opened with Explorer could have free Internet access regardless
of security settings, and possibly, any firewall settings you are using.
There would be no reason to not have any on-line activity default to
IE.
--
"It's a demanding enough job to keep the *one* program *relatively*
secure."

Unk

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 02:27:36 GMT, "JamesBenson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is Windows Explorer in xp pro safe to browse with and does it share security
>settings with IE6

Try this to prove that they're pretty much one and the same program:

Click Start, Programs, Accessories, and right-click "Windows Explorer" icon.
Select "Copy". Now, right-click a blank spot on the desktop and select
"Paste". Now right-click the copy on the desktop, and select "Properties"
After "explorer.exe", add the following command (Include the leading space):

/n /e /select,http://www.google.com

Now it should look something like:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n /e /select,http://www.google.com
Clicl "Apply", "OK"

Notice that the icon on the desktop is still the Windows Explorer icon.
Now double-click it.......

Hmmmmmm, looks like Internet Explorer, acts like Internet Explorer, click
Help, About, and it SAYS Internet Explorer.......
Windows Explorer must be Internet Explorer too. Now you know why MS lost
the anti-trust suit.

Toolman Tim

"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
>| On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 02:27:36 GMT, "JamesBenson"
>| <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>|
>| >Is Windows Explorer in xp pro safe to browse with and does it share
>| >security settings with IE6
>| >

>| Try this to prove that they're pretty much one and the same program:
>|
>| Click Start, Programs, Accessories, and right-click "Windows
>| Explorer" icon. Select "Copy". Now, right-click a blank spot on the
>| desktop and select "Paste". Now right-click the copy on the
>| desktop, and select "Properties" After "explorer.exe", add the
>| following command (Include the leading space):
>|
>| /n /e /select,http://www.google.com
>|
>| Now it should look something like:
>| %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n /e /select,http://www.google.com
>| Clicl "Apply", "OK"
>|
>| Notice that the icon on the desktop is still the Windows Explorer
>| icon.
>| Now double-click it.......
>|
>| Hmmmmmm, looks like Internet Explorer, acts like Internet Explorer,
>| click Help, About, and it SAYS Internet Explorer.......
>| Windows Explorer must be Internet Explorer too. Now you know why
>| MS lost the anti-trust suit.

<VBG>

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Wed,
28 Jul 2004 21:10:39 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
<(E-Mail Removed)> screamed from behind the
mulberry bush:

>"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)

>>| Try this to prove that they're pretty much one and the same program:
>>|
>>| Click Start, Programs, Accessories, and right-click "Windows
>>| Explorer" icon. Select "Copy". Now, right-click a blank spot on the
>>| desktop and select "Paste". Now right-click the copy on the
>>| desktop, and select "Properties" After "explorer.exe", add the
>>| following command (Include the leading space):
>>|
>>| /n /e /select,http://www.google.com
>>|
>>| Now it should look something like:
>>| %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n /e /select,http://www.google.com
>>| Clicl "Apply", "OK"
>>|
>>| Notice that the icon on the desktop is still the Windows Explorer
>>| icon.
>>| Now double-click it.......
>>|
>>| Hmmmmmm, looks like Internet Explorer, acts like Internet Explorer,
>>| click Help, About, and it SAYS Internet Explorer.......
>>| Windows Explorer must be Internet Explorer too. Now you know why
>>| MS lost the anti-trust suit.

><VBG>

Did they or didn't they really "lose" anything? Most certainly they
didn't. In the end, they paid what amounts to chump change for MS and
were required to install in their update an app to remove components
of Windows if someone wants to. How many people have done so, or are
even aware of it? Nope, MS is going along, business as usual and I
don't see that they'll change anytime soon. Times *do* change,
however, and who knows where they'll be like in 10 years. I recall 10
years ago a company called CompuServe was a major player and a start
up called AOL was on the horizon. Now AOL is in major decline, so much
so that Time-Warner removed them from their name and AOL has basically
abandoned the broadband market. In 10 years, MS could be the
Studebaker of the computer world and become extinct like the Commodore
and the Amiga OSs.

Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

trout

Unk wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 02:27:36 GMT, "JamesBenson"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Is Windows Explorer in xp pro safe to browse with and does it share
>> security settings with IE6
>>

> Try this to prove that they're pretty much one and the same program:
>
> Click Start, Programs, Accessories, and right-click "Windows
> Explorer" icon. Select "Copy". Now, right-click a blank spot on the
> desktop and select "Paste". Now right-click the copy on the desktop,
> and select "Properties" After "explorer.exe", add the following
> command (Include the leading space):
>
> /n /e /select,http://www.google.com
>
> Now it should look something like:
> %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n /e /select,http://www.google.com
> Clicl "Apply", "OK"
>
> Notice that the icon on the desktop is still the Windows Explorer
> icon.
> Now double-click it.......
>
> Hmmmmmm, looks like Internet Explorer, acts like Internet Explorer,
> click Help, About, and it SAYS Internet Explorer.......
> Windows Explorer must be Internet Explorer too. Now you know why MS
> lost the anti-trust suit.

Well, I'm not going to argue the point too hard and long, just now,
Unk. My beef is basically with firewall permissions and WE as opposed to
IE.
Maybe I've missed the boat, here, as far as WE becoming... behaving
as....
suddenly being IE. All I know is that I've had to clean up a lot of crap
after another user on this computer; because of dumb wanderings in MSN
games and chat; as well as a couple of trojans that loaded *as* WE that
had automatic access permission, and bypassed *both* IE set security and
firewall limitations.
--
"I could be wrong. But I'm well-armed. They won't take me alert."

Tech

JamesBenson wrote:

> Is Windows Explorer in xp pro safe to browse with and does it share
> security settings with IE6

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...p?story=537951

By Charles Arthur, Technology Editor

... following a stark security warning from a senior panel of internet
experts who say it opens the door to online criminals.

They are urging all users of Internet Explorer (IE) to stop using the
browser because they say it is vulnerable to hackers and credit card
fraudsters.

If you haven't done so; don't wait until you become a victim:

http://www.mozilla.org/download.html
http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/default.jsp
http://www.opera.com/
--
__

JamesBenson

Good link, since when do you have to pay for stuff like that, how are people
supposed to believe it if you have to pay for advice which should be given
out for free

"Tech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e2b9f64d003575bc877c1fcd0b2601d4@news.1usenet .com...
> JamesBenson wrote:
>
> > Is Windows Explorer in xp pro safe to browse with and does it share
> > security settings with IE6

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...p?story=537951

> By Charles Arthur, Technology Editor

> ... following a stark security warning from a senior panel of internet
> experts who say it opens the door to online criminals.
>
> They are urging all users of Internet Explorer (IE) to stop using the
> browser because they say it is vulnerable to hackers and credit card
> fraudsters.
>
> ************************************************** ******************
>
> If you haven't done so; don't wait until you become a victim:
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/download.html
> http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/default.jsp
> http://www.opera.com/
> --
> __

Tech

JamesBenson wrote:

> Good link, since when do you have to pay for stuff like that, how are
> people supposed to believe it if you have to pay for advice which should
> be given out for free

The link is there to validate the story as a citation source. However, you
can google for other free links, i.e. keywords "IE Advisory News", etc.

Nevertheless, the facts remain the same: IE must never be used to browse
the Internet.

Thus:

--
__