Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Configuring charter.net to access multiple ISP accounts

Configuring charter.net to access multiple ISP accounts

Ramona

Is it possible to access an ATT account from the pop.charter.net account?
I use Mozilla 1.7.1, and set up an ATT Mail Account. I find that I can
Send mail using the ATT outgoing Mail Server, but when I send a mail to
myself at that account, then try to retrieve that Mail, I always get a
timeout and am unable to receive.

What settings should I use in order to accomplish this. I assume that it
is possible to access multiple ISP's using Charter Broadband? I have been
unable to find anything on this in the Help pages...

Thanks for any info.

Toolman Tim

"Ramona" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
>| Is it possible to access an ATT account from the pop.charter.net
>| account? I use Mozilla 1.7.1, and set up an ATT Mail Account. I
>| find that I can Send mail using the ATT outgoing Mail Server, but
>| when I send a mail to myself at that account, then try to retrieve
>| that Mail, I always get a timeout and am unable to receive.
>|
>| What settings should I use in order to accomplish this. I assume
>| that it is possible to access multiple ISP's using Charter
>| Broadband? I have been unable to find anything on this in the Help
>| pages...
>|
>| Thanks for any info.

No, it is should not be possible. (If you have Charter, why do you want to
use ATT mail?)

Here's what the problem is: the ISP (Charter) is not going to allow you to
send email through a 3rd party. That's called "relaying" and almost every
ISP has blocked that, due to the abuse of ISPs and email accounts relaying
mail to hide the source.

Now, there should be a web mail site for ATT that allows you to do mail
regardless of ISP... http://webmail.att.net

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Ramona

On this day, 7/28/04 9:36 PM, the esteemed Toolman Tim replied, with the
utmost intelligence
> "Ramona" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>>| Is it possible to access an ATT account from the pop.charter.net
>>| account? I use Mozilla 1.7.1, and set up an ATT Mail Account. I
>>| find that I can Send mail using the ATT outgoing Mail Server, but
>>| when I send a mail to myself at that account, then try to retrieve
>>| that Mail, I always get a timeout and am unable to receive.
>>|
>>| What settings should I use in order to accomplish this. I assume
>>| that it is possible to access multiple ISP's using Charter
>>| Broadband? I have been unable to find anything on this in the Help
>>| pages...
>>|
>>| Thanks for any info.

> No, it is should not be possible. (If you have Charter, why do you want to
> use ATT mail?)
>
> Here's what the problem is: the ISP (Charter) is not going to allow you to
> send email through a 3rd party. That's called "relaying" and almost every
> ISP has blocked that, due to the abuse of ISPs and email accounts relaying
> mail to hide the source.
>
> Now, there should be a web mail site for ATT that allows you to do mail
> regardless of ISP... http://webmail.att.net

Thanks, and yes I can always access the accounts via the webmail interface.

Need help configuring PIX 501 after ISP IP adddress change eljainc Cisco 6 03-22-2007 09:46 PM
Multiple ISPs and Multiple IP Ranges from Each ISP Chennak Cisco 10 06-08-2005 09:29 PM
Multiple User Accounts Drude Firefox 6 01-03-2005 04:47 AM
Tbird/Mozilla spam/multiple accounts A Firefox 1 01-12-2004 06:57 PM

Advertisments