Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > HELP! Anyone Here an Expert With Modems and multi-line Analog Lines in Businesses??

HELP! Anyone Here an Expert With Modems and multi-line Analog Lines in Businesses??

Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

Here's a good one for those of you in the know. I work for a small business
and they're networked together by two different systems, one for one company
(hereafter called the Discovery system) and one for the other (hereafter
called the Ginger system). Some people are hooked into both the Discovery
and Ginger systems, most are only into the Ginger system. But in addition
to this, the business has a digital phone system as well as analog lines for
most every Ginger system user.

Here's where it gets tricky. Those on the Discovery system only are
expecting to be hooked up to either DSL or a satellite system for Internet
access in the coming weeks. This issue is still being resolved by the
person in charge of setting all this up. Their service would be fed into
one server and then shoveled out to anyone hooked up to this network. Those
hooked into the Ginger system have no Internet access, with the exception of
ONE computer (keep this one in mind 'cause this is the problem PC). There
is, however, another PC (a notebook one) tied into an analog line in another
office and it is always on from about 9am until the end of business.

BUT ... their analog lines are used by them to dial out on small plug-in
headsets via some sort of a modem attached to their DOS-based PCs. Also
running off these analog lines are three fax machines and two credit card
machines.

Okay ... now that you have the set-up, here's the sitch with this Internet
PC. It's the only one hooked into these analog lines using web access. For
two days it worked fine without any troubles. It has a 56k modem in it and
connected to a dial-up account at speeds from a low of 37.6k to as fast as
41.2k. The PC is a brand new P4 3Ghz running Windows XP Pro and 256Mbz RAM.
Suddenly on Tuesday, things got weird. Early in the AM it could connect,
but only at speeds around 26-28k until about 9am. Each time the connection
speed got worse until it dropped to a low of 12k. The PC kept getting
bumped off the connection about every 5-10 minutes between the hours of 8:30
and 9am (the times are related, trust me!). After that it would error out
saying the modem never received a signal from the ISP ... then changed its
tune that the line being used was not an analog line and could not navigate
.... and finally to the point where it errored saying it (the modem) could
detect no dialtone. This happened now TWO days in a row before I was called
in to look at this.

The modem is fine, drivers are up-to-date for XP and nothing appears to be
wrong in the settings. I set them up myself on Friday and everything ran
well for two days. The user ONLY updated Windows XP, DirectX 9, Office 2K
and Media Player 9 from both windowsupdate.com and officeupdate.com so I
know that there was no funny business (ie: viruses, spyware, etc.)

Now ... those times I mentioned before ... are about the time that the rest
of the office staff begins to arrive and start making phone calls on those
before-mentioned headsets, as well as fax machines being used and the credit
card machines being used. Granted, for two days they were there and no
troubles. But now for two straight days, trouble! And I even moved the PC
to another analog line and tested it and still got the same errors (no
dialtone, analog line only, etc.) Their wall connection is set up as one
plug for their digital phone system (Norstar, I believe). Then an analog
line, the Ginger connection and (for those who are authorized) a Discovery
connection.

My theory is this ... that somehow something has been added to or began
running on this phone system in the past 48 hours that has caused the analog
lines to become "congested" with noise, thereby causing the modem to not be
able to hold a signal let alone find a dialtone. When I plugged a regular
analog phone into the wall outlet I could hear a dialtone ... also when I
plugged into the "headset" connection on the back of the modem in this PC.
I also dialed the ISP number and each time heard the "tones" coming from the
ISPs computers.

So ... could this be the case? Too much "stuff" running on these analog
lines? I tried this PC several different times during the day and still
recieved one of the three error messages. I never did connect to the ISP at
anytime during the day. I've a feeling tomorrow will be the same case ...
connect from 8am until around 9-ish and then no connection after that.

OR ...

Could one of the Windows XP, Media Player, Office 2K or DirectX 9 updates
have somehow caused this to happen? I checked the System Restore logs and
the last update loaded at nearly 4pm on Monday and the person said she could
still get online as of that time. And yes, I even tried to "Restore To An
Earlier Point" but each time I was denied getting errors from Win XP saying
it could not ... but that's a whole different issue

So please ... anyone that works in IS/IT and deals with multi-line phone
systems and modems ... PLEASE HELP ME! They're looking to me for advice and
I'm stumped except for this idea that it may be "too many users" or some
"new" piece of equipment on the line that's causing interference. All signs
point to this based on the timeframe I've told you about.

PLEASE HELP! I'm really stumped and need to give them an idea of where to
look for the cause!!

--
Kyle

$1million US dollars to sensfan_luvslisa (at) yahoo (dot) ca. Change the
reply. Money gets faster attention ;o)

Tech

Sens Fan Happy In Ohio wrote:

> <sniped>
>
> Reply address is fake. Please send all praise, abuse, insults, bequests of
> $1million US dollars to sensfan_luvslisa (at) yahoo (dot) ca. Change the
> obvious to the obvious. Oh, and if you must abuse or insult, don't expect
> reply. Money gets faster attention ;o)

Assuming that you are talking about a peer-to-peer network, there are too
many variables. Something is mixed up in the PBX.

You will have to contract the services of a professional given that you do
not have the technical skill to delve into the system.

Nevertheless, here's how to do things right:

((Internet)) ==> Router w/Firewall --> Network switch -
\__--> Discovery system
|__--> Ginger system

--
__

Duane Arnold

The bottom line here is that this post is way too long. The second point
here is that you need to get a professional in there to figure it out if
you cannot resolve the issue.

Duane

Sounds like a real dogs dinner; pay money get a proffessional in, this time
build a sys with expandibility

"Sens Fan Happy In Ohio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41083046$0$91715$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> [...]

> it could not ... but that's a whole different issue
>
> So please ... anyone that works in IS/IT and deals with multi-line phone
> systems and modems ... PLEASE HELP ME! They're looking to me for advice

and
> I'm stumped except for this idea that it may be "too many users" or some
> "new" piece of equipment on the line that's causing interference. All

signs
> point to this based on the timeframe I've told you about.
>
> PLEASE HELP! I'm really stumped and need to give them an idea of where to
> look for the cause!!
>
> --
> Kyle
>
> Reply address is fake. Please send all praise, abuse, insults, bequests of
> $1million US dollars to sensfan_luvslisa (at) yahoo (dot) ca. Change the
> obvious to the obvious. Oh, and if you must abuse or insult, don't expect

JamesBenson

I would get another modem cable & try that ,or it could be over congested
network, how many on one dialup connection? there is most likely your
problem, you said it happens at a certain time, that could be your ISP under
network congestion at the peak time. plus if everyone uses their connection
at the same time what do they expect, on the other hand it could be network
saturation on your end, if so you would have to invest in either a switch,
router, bridge or something similar to handle all the client request's
efficiently, If you provided numbers I could say better.

They will no doubt have to plan again when they upgrade to DSL